What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1kw 4x8 tent lights? Gavita vs DEva vs PL Light vs Nanolux

kelly1376

Is there any benefit of running a strict 750 DE vs a 1000 DE turned down to 750?

Yes, the 750 will produce more light at 750 than the 1000 turned down to 750 would. When you turn the 1000 down you lose some efficiency. The 750 is equally efficient between 600 and 825 watts.

Gavita & Nanolux both make deeper reflectors specifically designed for small rooms and tents. Gavita also makes a wider angle reflector to spread light further.

One strategy I think would work well in a 4 x 8 tent is running a single 1000 gavita using the wide angle reflector on a 4' light mover.

http://www.gavita.com/retail/products/gavita-replaceable-reflectors/gavita-pro-w-150-de

The reflector casts light wide horizontally and being on a mover would enable you to lower the light down quite close to the plants. Haven't seen anyone try it but I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Last edited:

watts

ohms
Veteran
This video by Gavita says the wide reflector isn't good in a small flower room because you would lose too much light to the walls. So I don't think it would be a good idea in a tent.

[YOUTUBEIF]s8onZ3ChCtk[/YOUTUBEIF]

kelly1376

I agree under most cases but for what I have in mind that ultra wide spread would be an advantage. You could lower the light ultra low and still have a pretty big spread and using the mover would enable you to hit the plants with light from a variety of angles. The plants directly under the reflector would be getting a lot of light due to the fact the light is close. If you tried to do that with a regular reflector you'd have a big hot spot directly under the light without much light to the outer edges.

MJINC

I agree under most cases but for what I have in mind that ultra wide spread would be an advantage. You could lower the light ultra low and still have a pretty big spread and using the mover would enable you to hit the plants with light from a variety of angles. The plants directly under the reflector would be getting a lot of light due to the fact the light is close. If you tried to do that with a regular reflector you'd have a big hot spot directly under the light without much light to the outer edges.

I would be wary of keeping a gavita too close to my canopy even on a mover. The light intensity and heat generated could be detrimental to the plants

packerfan79

Veteran
It really comes down to how much heat you want deal with and how much you want to spend. Gavitas are hot, Cmh not sohot much priceier though, leds are good very little heat extremely expensive for a quality led. Light movers in a tent is probably not a great idea. The new 945 cmh on a mover would be an option also. I think 2 630cmh would be the best choice

Rondon

A Gavita DE in a tent huh? I would think the heat and height or lack of would nuke any chance of plant growth. Maybe iam wrong. But common sense would tell me Gavita in a tent is like trying to stuff a 12 guage shotgun shell into a 9mm barrel.

p0opstlnksal0t

Change of plans, looks like I'll have a full 24x24 garage with 12 foot ceilings. I'll build out 2 insulated 10x20 rooms within it for flowering. I'll start up a new thread on this