What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

INTERNATIONAL

this thread is proof that you never REALLY know until you try. its great that everyone is so helpful here. before the internet i would hear all kinds of rumors and never do-always do this/that. i would always try it myself just to see. i bet there is alot of stubborn strains out there that wont flower until a certain height.

Haggis123

12/12 Strain Report: Nirvana AK48 by: Haggis123

1) Experience :- 4th grow.

2) Lighting :- 1x 125w Blue Envirolite used for the first week only then used a 400w HPS with a Gro-Lux Bulb.

3) Container size :- 1.5 litre pot.

4) Growing Media :- Rockwool Cube & Clay Balls.

5) Watering Schedule :- Watered once a day with a good bit of run off.

6) Nutrients Used :- Growth Technology Formulex for the first week then went on to Canna Aqua 2 part feed with Cannazym, Rhizotonic, PK 13/14 & Canna Boost.
The EC I ran at are as follows :-
Week 1 & 2 - 1.5
Week 3 - 1.7
Week 4 - 1.7
Week 5 - 1.9
Week 6 - 1.9
Week 7 - 2.0
Week 8 - 1.7
Week 9 & 3 days of week 10 - 1.5
I then flushed for 10 days.
Please note that the above EC's were including a tap water EC of 0.7.

7) Sexing :- Showed sex around day 18-19.

8) Total Flowering Time :- 76 days. I always allow around 20 days or so of 12/12 then start my 8 week countdown from then.

9) Conclusion :- I found that the AK48 strain reacted very well to the 12/12 regime.
She stayed very small and dense only reaching around 40 odd cm in height, and only really grew 1 single main kola with only two little side branches coming off of her.
She filled out and put some weight on the buds around week 6 of 12/12.
Finished dry weight was a bit over an Oz, maybe about an Oz & a 1/4.
Sorry I can't be more exact than that as I don't have digital scales only reg' kitchen scales.

Last edited:
H

Hal

Haggis...

Nice to see ya back! I was wondering where the hell ya were. Nice report, and a very nice yield! I am going to put a link to your report in that post in the very beginning of this thread.

You gonna get anything else going now?

Last edited:
H

Hal

something is wrong with the site...its not letting me edit posts at the moment. I'll get that link up as soon as I can.

When do i run into a strain that doesn't do well on the 12/12 from start light regime?

When you have decent seed(that came from an selected mum and dad) you can grow all strains this way . Indica dominant strains are just a little more difficult. For inexperienced growers i will not recommand this style exept for sativa dominant strains .
I no longer see limitations if it comes to wich strains to use .
On a dutch forum we can find about 8 people that are growing in this matter with different strains. They all followed some basics i've been promoting for about 3 or 4 years now.

Now i am going to try to prove that growing this way from seed can yield your ass off !!

G

Hello. Nice thread you guys got here. :wave:

I have two Belladonnas in flower from seed since early March. About 5 days after they sprouted. Well I was wondering if I should trim the lower side branches for more yield. They are getting some light from the 150w HPS. But I think they will be real small. Any suggestions and advice?

H

Hal

Hey Heero...

Yeah, I think it is fairly common for the lower buds to remain very small...the classic "popcorn" buds. Since they most often don't amount to anything, most people trim them off and let the plants energies go into the larger buds higher up on the plant. But I do wonder how much of the plants energy stores those can use up...they are so small, ya know?

The important thing to remember is to avoid trimming of any of the fan leaves, they all contribute to good of the plant, they are the "fuel factories" of the plant, and send their energy to all parts of the plant. Let them fall off on their own.

Regarding those pretty little plants ya got goin there...do you happen to know the lineage of the Belladonna strain? As in, what percentage indica and sativa its parents are?

We might be able to give ya a few pointers...but give us the particulars of your set up first. Like, how big are the pots you're growing in, how tall are the plants, how many days have they been flowering, what kind of soil mix are you using, etc. These are all important, and can affect final yield.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it is fairly common for the lower buds to remain very small...the classic "popcorn" buds. Since they most often don't amount to anything, most people trim them off and let the plants energies go into the larger buds higher up on the plant.

De plants energy comes from the leaves , by removing any of them the total amount of fotosynthese taking place is reduced ! What is there to transport from removed leaves to the larger buds higher up on the plant ??

I dont believe removing leaves from the plants lower parts is going to benefit the bigger buds . With this method you have a fair chance to grow good buds even on the plants lower parts !!

there are hardly veg leaves present so they are gonna need every top-leave.

Last edited:

Lofty

i'm about to get som seeds for my next 12/12 grow in 3 weeks, i wud like som suggestions, it looks like sativas wud b fav. i'm open to ideas, i was considering ww, misty, nl, chrystal, ak47, nycd, any comments on these? i'd like to do som that hav already proved to b a good one and do som that we've not don on this thread yet.

Rgd

Veteran
The 12/12 from seed works well.
Personally i would only use it on longer flower sativas that may get too lanky.
Unless i wanted little plants.
The first picture in this thread looks like SSH.
Great Strain for it.
Grow on!~

CornBread

Hi y'all !!

Would 1 litre (.3 gallon) pots be enough (coco as medium) for growing from seed until sexed and then transplant to 2+ litre (.6+ gallon) pots for the remaining time? I'm thinking of broadening my choices by not always going with female seeds.

peace!
/cornbread

earthdog

i've been growing 12/12 ever since i learned about it on OG. my 400 is hung vertical, no reflector cuz it gets too hot if i use the reflector in my makeshift grow tent. i LOVE growing this way cuz i get to smoke bud in a shorter amount of time as opposed to vegging a few weeks before flowering. ya go thru more seeds, but just make your own and you're set.
props to atmosphere--your OG thread taught me a few things, however, the indicas do better than sats in my grow tent environment. it's a shame cuz i prefer sats, but have had to compromise w/sat dom mixes...which i breed myself w/pure sats and a good indica like white rhino or widow.
another thing w/ 12/12, in my experience, i get better results w/using 2L and smaller recycled plastic bottles for my pots. nothing like root bondage to put out max buds.

Lofty

welcome earthdog, another family member but not a newbie. b intereested in hearing a bit mmor bout wat strains u've don and wat quality and yeilds r like, and if u've tried bigger pots, did it make any dif. :wave:

welcome CornBread, i'm also interested in pot sizes as i was guna use 10l but this mite not b necessary, i suppose its just set in my head that big pots r needed coz thats wat i've always used 15-20l. :wave:

chosen

Veteran
I wish that I had paid more attention to Atmosphere on OG. I'm trying it now though.
AS for little buds, the buds he's pulling aren't little. Spaced at around 4 per square foot. You could do some real damage.

CornBread

Lofty said:
welcome CornBread, i'm also interested in pot sizes as i was guna use 10l but this mite not b necessary, i suppose its just set in my head that big pots r needed coz thats wat i've always used 15-20l. :wave:

Thanks. I'm guessing a couple of litres would be enough when not veggi'n.
I'm also guessing you need a little less if you do it in coco.
I'm hoping 1L is enough until sexed and then 2L for the rest of the time.
If it was female seeds, I would go for 2L directly.
I'm guessing 10L is too much for such a "small" plant.

Anyone ??

earthdog

Lofty said:
welcome earthdog, another family member but not a newbie. b intereested in hearing a bit mmor bout wat strains u've don and wat quality and yeilds r like, and if u've tried bigger pots, did it make any dif. :wave:

heya lofty - i've tried WR, WW, sweet sativa special, mexican, bubblegum, white lady, thai tanic, paia hawaiiana, indian haze and a few others. right now growing nev haze, o haze, 303, viet combo. WR doesn't seem to care--she just grows no matter what and is my fav indica. (i prefer sativa highs any day, but i just pull the indicas early). the pure sats don't do so well - i havent learned how to treat them just right in my very dry environ. bigger pots (2L+), most times stops the vertical growth...unless she's pure sat, like the 4.5ft and still growing OH. this has been my experience, and i'm by no means a master. bigger pots mean bigger buds, but in my small space, i'd rather have more than a few cuz the difference in bud size is minute. i don't care about yields--it's all just for me. quality--my friends have asked where i get my shit and could they get some... :D

G

hey earthdog, those sound like some great strains but was there any single one besides the rhino that grows extremely well under 12/12 conditions?

munkie

2 weeks to go?!

2 weeks to go?!

Its been about a week since I posted pics. I started giving the plants just water at this point since Im hoping to harvest in about 2 weeks. Trichs are mostly cloudy with some turning amber, so Im hoping 2 weeks will be just right.

The ruler in the pot is 18"

This is my "church" plant = thickest cola.

Check out the albino calyxs' on the bud to the right. Is that mutation or did I mess something up?! Its White Rhino from GHSC. If you look in the middle, some of the leaves have little brown spots, not sure what it is. All the other plants dont have this...

Creeptic

just wanted to say that this thread (and the older one) inspired me to give 12/12 from seed a try... so i added a couple more plants to my current grow

these 2 white widows are 20 days old... 12/12 from seed... havent shown sex yet... hoping for girls ofcourse

lets see what happens