What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biggest possible outdoor plant

Trichomez1

Hi everyone,

Is there a limit to the size a plant can be vegged?

Could you veg a plant untill it was 30 feet tall and then put it outside to flower?

Whats the biggest anyone has vegged a plant before planting outdoors.

Im wondering what the biggest possible plant you could flower outdoors would be. Ive seen some 25 to 30 pound plants is bigger possible?

If anyone has experience or knows the answers please bless us with the knowledge.

Thanks
T

caliprop215

Veteran
I would love to see pics of these 25 or 30 pound plants....

But u could grow a weed plant the length by width by height of a football field in a stadium. All those lights to keep it from flowering and the sun would grow it to monsterous. That would yield approximately 10000 pounds give ir take

Easy7

Veteran
Comes down to more than bragging rights. Veg indoors is expensive. So yield a square foot or acre matters as well as bottom dollar. State's that legalized have limited space gardens. So yes that matters growing big plants. If feds pass laws it's going to be acres and acres of field grown cannabis. Bottom dollar will change the current models.

Black market well here it's hard to hide 30ft plants. Unless you have very tall ceilings, it's just not easy or likely to veg that tall.

Trichomez1

I would love to see pics of these 25 or 30 pound plants....

But u could grow a weed plant the length by width by height of a football field in a stadium. All those lights to keep it from flowering and the sun would grow it to monsterous. That would yield approximately 10000 pounds give ir take

Can a plant veg indefinetly or will it autoflower at some point? I have a feeling some strains may auto-flower after a really long veg.

igrowone

Veteran
branches will eventually break from their own weight
and of course wind outside will limit what size can be achieved
25 lbs? i think we'd love to see that pic

theJointedOne

Veteran
this idea has been thrown around a bit among some guys i know and myself the past 15 years or so

can you veg a single plant in a field?, provide a adjustable expanding support frame ect?

blue dream would be my choice to try out..take a clone, veg it for 2 years in a greenhouse thats 100x100x50ft tall. use supp lighting ect the whole way through, then once it hit the third year take off the supp in mid june...would be interesting

i have a feeling eventually it would start to go sideways much faster than it got taller

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Plants can veg indefinitely, after all what are clones?

Being able to get it out the door is a minor detail.

Outside of the usual constraints, why would you want to put as many eggs in one basket?

caliprop215

Veteran
I would LOVE TO SEE A OLD STADIUM FILLED FROM 1 GIANT GANJA BUSH! Possibly the biggest plant ever grown?

Whose gonna be first one to do this?

Trichomez1

Anything over 8 feet tall is going to be a problem moving around I think.

So lets say an 8 footer was planted may 1st in 160 gals of good soil. I wonder if it could hit 25 feet in the 3.5 months outside before flowering. Lol imagine stretch on a 25 footer.

CrushnYuba

160 gallons of soil is not nearly enough. 300-400 gallons is the minimum for even a tiny plant put out june 1st.
Also there is only so big you can veg a plant in a pot before u put it in its final home. You are limited by the size pot u use for veg. 15 -20 gallon for veg is the biggest u can really move and transplant. If u let them grow to long in those 15g pots they will start growing strictly vertically and after u transplant it u will have a hard time getting it to grow horizontally again. If you let them get root bound in your pre veg pots, they end up choking themselves out later in the year.
Also, i believe veging indoors is counter productive. I hear plenty of talk about "15lb plants" but i don't really actually think it's likely. I have never seen it.
If u wanted to grow the biggest plant possible, it would need to be veging in its final spot all winter in a greenhouse. Not transferred in the spring to its final spot.
People claim 15lb plants but i just don't really think i believe it. I don't even know if i have truley seen a 10 lb plant. My plants are as big as the biggest plants i have seen on this site, and while i don't know exactly how big they are, i bet i average about 5 or 6 lb.
My neighbor had really big seed plants lasts year. 14' wide and tall. He kept them perfectly green and healthy all year. He kept very detailed notes on everything and after his smalls were sorted he averaged less then 5lb.

CrushnYuba

Its not that i don't believe that a plant can hit 10. I don't believe much more is possible. And i think most numbers i hear are inflated.

I can't know for sure because i don't keep good enough track. I'm still trimming from last year and i don't even know how many units i have gone through. I only Take tops too. I take a first cut and half a second cut.

The fact remains that there Its only So big of a plant You Can get. You pop seeds in feb. U veg in a heated greenhouse in 15-20 gal pots uncrowded. They stay perfectly healthy. U plant in may into big, well amended and balanced soil mounds. U keep them at peak health all year. There really is not much u can do to get a bigger plant. Its maxed out. The only other variable comes from strain. If its a blue dreamy strain that grows like a sativa and then puts out dense buds it could be 10lb. But i don't think any bigger by much.
A maxed out plant Is a maxed out plant. The only way u could get bigger Is by veging all winter in a greenhouse in the plants final mound. Then pulling the plastic off when the plant out grows the greenhouse.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Well ganja is closely related to hops and obviously likes to be trained and you could easily grow her kinda like the competition Pumpkin growers do and train her horizontally over a ridiculously large space in lush "perfect" conditions.

I think a major limiting factor in a soil grow like this might actually be infections/infestations. There will probably be a point where the plant can't get enough immobile nutrients around it's insane mammoth growth making her smell ohh so sweet to all the little evil shits and it doesn't take much pest damage to really bum cannabis out. Nature doesn't like you bending her laws lol

still If someone can grow a pumpkin or gourd the size and weight of a car I think we might be surprised what would be doable with cannabis.

But who would run such a risk?? come on who has the biggest? :bigeye:

therevverend

Veteran
Even in my sandy soil and 5 hours of sun I can get 9 footers-15 footers are easy. Bigger then that, bigger then 10 lb yields is tricky. A lot of it is strain.

There's a lot of pictures of plants around ten pounds on the internet you don't see much bigger then that. I'm guessing soil is the biggest issue.

I saw a picture last year that came close. It was Southern Oregon, where I'd expect the largest plants to be grown. They have longer days in summer plus a long grow season. I'm guessing the plant yielded 20-30 lbs. It was enormous at 17 feet tall. Wish I knew the strain.

(edit) Here's the link to the picture. He says 100 feet. Ha. Ha.
https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/oregon-pot-entrepreneur-ready-for-legal-market.html

I have seeds of strains that are 10 lb capable. Just a matter of everything hitting just right.

The idea of an extended indoor veg aren't going to work. Best you can do is start outdoors March 1. Indoor lighting just isn't strong enough. By the time you deal with pot size, getting light up and down the entire plant, it's already losing more vigor then you're gaining.

I'd look to the subtropics. Growing a long flowering version of Blue Dream in Hawaii or Australia or Jamaica may be the ticket. Somewhere with days long enough not to stimulate early flowering in a plant with just enough Indica to give it dense nugs. Maybe a big Haze hybrid x Blue Dream.