What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Make old soil good again ? Cheap Electric Garden Shredder and nutes?

It is all about scale. I re-use 10, 2 gallon pots by simply breaking up the root balls by hand. Re-charge with Jobe's Granular fruit and nut plant food. The stalk and fan leaves goes with yard waste. If you are doing 60 or 100 that is a different story. That shredder looks poorly made.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a 55 gallon drum sitting on cinder block. punched a few holes in the bottom (side) and when I drop wood/branches in it to burn, it goes up like a rocket engine. I can melt copper with it. So I'm sure it would work really well.

h.h.

Veteran
I actually heard this from to Elaine Ingham (soil microbiologist). I'm not sure if this is scientific enough for you :biggrin:. I also know a lot about what Paul Stamets does and have a fungal compost pile aside a wormbin and a bokashi. I like diversity but still want to make sure I don't mess things up because there is - science -. So in a way we seem to agree.

I also use molasses for certain things in my garden but recently changed a few things because we never stop learning. Without context my statement was a bit stale. I fully understand.

If you feed bacteria you should be well aware which bacteria you are growing and on which plants or parts of the plant you use it.

Without the right instruments it's just a guessing game.

My next tool is a microscope (with camera, so pictures will follow) because I'm extremely interested in the science myself.

I've been guessing for a lot of years.
That study was addressed here a few years ago.
I agree with Tims assessment.
Check out his web page. He has a few sensible do's and don'ts.
Basically what concerns us is acid resistant e-coli. Stuff not destroyed in our digestive track...E-coli that's allowed to manifest under acidic conditions.
Certainly don't take my word for it though. I'm no expert.
Do a Google search and read up on it a bit.
While your at it, look up salmonella.
While I've forgotten most of the material I found myself, it was enough to ease my mind about the whole process.
If you haven't read Teaming with Microbes, find it online for cheap, cheap.

Love Elaine Ingham.

I question everybody.

M

mrghost

I've been guessing for a lot of years.
That study was addressed here a few years ago.
I agree with Tims assessment.
Check out his web page. He has a few sensible do's and don'ts.
Basically what concerns us is acid resistant e-coli. Stuff not destroyed in our digestive track...E-coli that's allowed to manifest under acidic conditions.
Certainly don't take my word for it though. I'm no expert.
Do a Google search and read up on it a bit.
While your at it, look up salmonella.
While I've forgotten most of the material I found myself, it was enough to ease my mind about the whole process.
If you haven't read Teaming with Microbes, find it online for cheap, cheap.

Love Elaine Ingham.

I question everybody.

I also question everybody. Especially anonymous people in forums. :biggrin:

I am also no expert in microbiology but I read as much as I can and I test things myself as much as I can.
You confuse me. I'd be happy to get a link to the research, instead of just searching the internet. I usually only read scientific papers and don't know which study you are referring to.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also question everybody. Especially anonymous people in forums. :biggrin:

I am also no expert in microbiology but I read as much as I can and I test things myself as much as I can.
You confuse me. I'd be happy to get a link to the research, instead of just searching the internet. I usually only read scientific papers and don't know which study you are referring to.

My reference to Stamets is to say that he uses molasses to germinate fungi as do I. I have been engaged in high level microscopy for 30+ years. I do use a camera and my some of my video is on youtube if you wish to see it.

M

mrghost

My reference to Stamets is to say that he uses molasses to germinate fungi as do I. I have been engaged in high level microscopy for 30+ years. I do use a camera and my some of my video is on youtube if you wish to see it.

I mentioned before that I also use molasses. I am just careful how, where, when and how much I apply.

I'd love a link to your youtube and other resources. We should never stop learning unless we want to stay stupid... right?