What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichomes in relation to type of strain..

Packer420

Hi again, its been a while since Ive posted, been reading as usual here.

Here is my thought, if we say we harvest at averagely 70% milky 30% amber, would that be the safe chop time for indica at sativa's?

What im trying to say is that if its indica is it helpful to increase its sedating/body effect by harvesting more amber so making a late harvest?

And the opposite harvesting sats with almost all milky to enhance it energetic head effect?

Like i wouldnt harvest a sativa too late making its body high more?

Am i getting this all wrong?

Sunshineinabag

It's strain dependant, I'd also like to mention that certain mono terpenes can help others where they may not be so helpful for us, my hypothesis is as follows
Earth profiles- sedative effects
Fuel profiles or gas- aggressive sedative
Fruit profiles - uplifting
Floral- introspective

So with that being said I take into consideration what profiles I'm being inundated with, then I will sample flowers to gauge where they are at, change Milky - Amber percentages as I need them. I hope this helps
I've always found that certain profiles Absolutley whack out some of my friends and it's so so with me, where as if I get like an oldschool gases skunky profile.....I get my nirvana stone I miss so much!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In general, your ideas are on point.

More specifically, each plant is slightly different in it's effects on you and you can experiment with harvest times to find the right time frame for what you prefer from a given cultivar.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I run a perpetual flowering room and have many cuts that are over 10 years old, so I've been able to observe them under many different conditions. Sometimes, when the room is getting crowded, I pick plants too early. Other times, when mother plants are loaded with seeds or there's plenty of room, I'll let plants flower much longer. After probably hundreds of harvests of the same clones, I've noticed very little variation in quality of high from plants picked early to late. The genetics differences are MUCH bigger than any imparted from harvest time. Generally, the longer you let a (healthy) plant flower the better the quality. I think it was Soma who said, "when the plant looks ripe and ready to harvest...give it another week". But, the improvements are in tastes, smells and colors more than a change in quality of high.

I understand that this goes against 'conventional wisdom' and I'm not saying there's nothing to the early-late issue, I'm just saying that genetic differences, even between sisters of the same seed batch, exert more influence than harvest time does.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The post harvest dry and sweat can influence the product too.

I've have smoked the same cultivar jarred after two to 12 months
with a pronounced difference in effect.

For me, better to chop later then early.

Latest posts

Latest posts