What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

which is more important to YOU?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A- to rescind laws about cannabis?
B- protect medical use?
C- protect users from drug testing for jobs?
D- allowing home growing?
E- yes, all of the above. :)
"E" is the ideal, but progress is more likely if pressure is applied to one problem at a time. please rate them according to your ideals. show reasoning if you can without being unrealistic. :tiphat:

White Beard

Totally all-in for ALL of the above. That said, I’d pick growers’ rights over the other, if it came to that, as with the right to grow would come the right to use, if not to sell, gift, or carry.

From that position, the remainder of the items could be easily adapted, fought for, and won. Maybe not cheaply, but with a grower’s right secured, it completely shifts the context of the other tasks.

BTW I can neither vote nor rep, so thanks for this - ought to be interesting!

oldchuck

Veteran
I think protecting medical usage is worth the most. Much research needs to be done to detail the best medical uses. So much detail remains to be determined. The work is barely begun and legal protection is the only way to get it done. The other items are important of course but to some extent they all are interactive, one promotes the other.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Medical will be pharmacy only, Big pharma rules the medical world.
Once legal federally it will be all big pharma.
So medical can not be protected long term anyway.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
great question and well thought out replies!

i agree with shaggy' that first and foremost should be option D', your right to grow your own
as stated, even if medicinal is allowed, where would you get your medicine from?
even before medicinal passed here in cali, i always thought anyone over the age of 18 (or even 21) should be allowed to grow their own marijuana at home and share it among other adults
obviously, if you are caught selling weed in large quantity (without license) or giving it to minors you need to answer for what youve done (the main reason i dident choose the blanket answer choice A') but i think if all american adults were able to grow their own weed freely, you wouldent see as many of the problems we have today

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Medical will be pharmacy only, Big pharma rules the medical world.
Once legal federally it will be all big pharma.
So medical can not be protected long term anyway.

i can understand why you feel this way (but disagree) about "big pharma". they are not getting their way in many respects (see "pharma bro" Shkrelli (sp?) being grilled by congress & ending up in jail.) and pressure is building because of the justifiable disgust of the public. it is odd, however, to watch rich-ass pols grilling business execs about gouging the public. talk about the pot calling kettle black. i think home growing will be widely legal once feds get hands off, but it may be like alcohol regulation for a while IE- legal beer & wine home making, but no making moonshine. doubt they could enforce ban on easily made concentrates IE hash, but anything posing a danger of fires etc would be illegal.

rod58

D ..allow home growing only . rules have to apply of course in that penalties are there for breaches of that privilege , ..eg , allowing minors access for one .
medical , no . i spoke to my doctor at length on the subject and as he put it to me ," why would you use it as a medicine when we already have tried and tested medicines available "
now i do see that its use may be beneficial for epilepsy etc , but far more research needs to be done before this can happen .

St. Phatty

The Hypocrisy of America

Too much to count, but one example

Oil field workers use a LOT of meth.

But that's supposed to be "bad"

These people are performing a very essential service.

They don't take meth for fun, they take meth cause they need something stronger than coffee.

Why criminalize that ? Cause it's all about control.

As far as Cannabis - just turn the laws back 100 years.

>> A- to rescind laws about cannabis?
B- protect medical use?

That would accomplish all of the goals, except for D.

D would depend on the city & county.

I don't like cities & counties that dis-allow home growing, but if that's what they VOTED ... oh well, back in the closet & old-fashioned stealth & guerilla grows.

I wood

I choose F, for fuck all that.
What does matter to me is that I have seeds and skills.
It is very nice that in mi where I am has reduced penalties to a fine only. Legalization seems to be a way to squeeze more money from the population so far.
If my ability to grow changes legally I can do what I did the first twenty years I grew, keep low profile and do what I do.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
A- to rescind laws about cannabis?
B- protect medical use?
E- yes, all of the above. :)
"E" is the ideal, but progress is more likely if pressure is applied to one problem at a time. please rate them according to your ideals. show reasoning if you can without being unrealistic. :tiphat:
rescinding current laws in their entirety to as if we were growing and eating tomatoes legal would be most desirable (but very unlikely). Putting cannabis in the same category as Valium or the like only transfers the administration to doctors (MDs) and pharmacies. And Big Pharma! look whats happening to insulin prices these days.. well here in the US anyway. I saw in Mexico, drug prices are much, much less.

Anyway, A,B, D. C??? Not going to happen, ever, too much liability fall out. E??? if A takes cannabis to the legal status of tomatoes, the others would be moot.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
growing seems to be leading the pack from a quick scan. :) in an ideal world, you could grow poppies & cannabis in your yard with no restrictions. and your employer would not give even a small fuck if you got high after work or on weekends. calling it "medical" would be irrelevant since ANY use of it makes one feel better. i wish the US had a citizens bill of rights which protected the citizenry from random drug testing like Canada has. there are about 5 jobs where it is required, and no one else deals with the problem unless someone gets injured. when (not "if") they get a test that actually can test for impairment instead of simple use, i predict that drug testing will mostly be a thing of the past.

insomniac_AU

Of course all of the above would be great but for me the most important thing being a home grower anyway would be for public perception to change. I don't want friends and family or anyone to look on people who smoke or grow any differently to someone who makes and drinks their own wine. I don't want employers to look on cannabis users any differently to someone who has an occasional drink. TBH that is how prohibition has affected me the most, public perception. Most people are so ignorant and closed minded it's going to be tough to convince the "drugs are bad mmkay.." crowd. Here in Australia at least.

G

For me at this point it’s “C” because I don’t worry a lot about having the police at my door. Things happen but now my biggest issue is random testing @ work. It’s been a couple years since I was picked but I’m alw having to ration myself so I can pass. I self test at home. I’m gonna grow no matter what the law is but I can’t fuck up and lose a 100K plus a year job. I can’t wait for the day when I can go to work Monday morning and be able to tell my coworkers I smoked some great weed over the weekend and not be out of a job.

White Beard

growing seems to be leading the pack from a quick scan. :) in an ideal world, you could grow poppies & cannabis in your yard with no restrictions. and your employer would not give even a small fuck if you got high after work or on weekends. calling it "medical" would be irrelevant since ANY use of it makes one feel better. i wish the US had a citizens bill of rights which protected the citizenry from random drug testing like Canada has.
The US bill of rights is supposed to be for citizens of the flesh and blood variety, not for artificial “persons” like Monsanto, Koch Industries, or Comcast, but you can gauge the applicability by looking at the history of the 9th amendment which says we have rights not listed in the amendment which likewise should not be infringed...but it’s infringed a few thousand times an hour, and the only notice it gets in court is the stance of “yes, other rights - but this isn’t one of them”.

Instead we hear about the 10th, “states’ rights”, which out weighs the citizenry entire: to the point that states are now invalidating local laws and ordinances for the most nakedly political of reasons.

You’d think the *states* are the citizens, and we’re just fleas on that dog...

Latest posts

Latest posts