What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation

albertgriffiths

Considering getting some C vault/ Freshtor containers to do a proper cure with better air exchange than glass jars.
I didn't know these containers, looked at their website, but couldn't figure out what made them better than a normal mason jar with a good lid and a boveda pack inside...
I'm curious, what makes you think they are superior?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The shape of the container allows better distribution of the air for humidity control in the C Vault compared with tall narrow glass jars. They also listed glass breakage and preventing people from seeing whats inside. I like them, good way to separate phenotypes and strains without baggies. I am just using glass jars for the cure but for the flower about to be used, will be moving it into a couple 1 oz size containers for humidity control.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Explain why you think they aren't air tight. They have a silicone seal. The twist CVaults are not real secture but it stays closed. The larger ones with latches have lids that are very secure and seems to be airtight. Seems to keep the flower well in the small twist ones. Haven't been using the 1 oz CVault for very long.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the tip. Grove bags are interesting, have seen a couple people mention them. Not sure how I feel about a plastic film being used though. I thought we want to get away from plastics because of the solvents in the resin and potential contamination? Must be food grade and stable.

I think as long as the resin is moist and not too much oxygen, they should store pretty well in anything. Could throw a Boveda pack in a Grove Bag, there you go! :smoke:

Hasch

Explain why you think they aren't air tight. They have a silicone seal.
I am talking about the CVaults with the clips. After storing buds for some weeks in the cliped CVaults there was some odor, so terps were leaking out...

Was surprised myself, CVaults seeming so well made, sturdy + the sealing ring.

About the Grove Bags: no Boveda needed.
Just check their website for details.

They use a laminate of different membrans so most problems like humidity level, mold, static charge (trychome heads), odor and UV rays are taken care of.

Yeah, they are made of plastic 😒
But so far I haven't found anything better to store my buds...

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats great. I like that as a bag, the air can all be pressed out. May try a couple next year for comparison. I think its good to have these harvest preservation tools ready at harvest to preserve the trichomes. There are likely pros and cons to each one. I wonder how the Boveda preserved flower is after 8 months in storage.

Grove bags do have some major sponsors like Cookies co. :smoke:

albertgriffiths

Thats great. I like that as a bag, the air can all be pressed out. May try a couple next year for comparison. I think its good to have these harvest preservation tools ready at harvest to preserve the trichomes. There are likely pros and cons to each one. I wonder how the Boveda preserved flower is after 8 months in storage.

Grove bags do have some major sponsors like Cookies co. :smoke:

In my own experience, long-term storage with boveda packs is better than without. There might be a tiny loss of terpenes, but if you are storing for 3 months or more, it is compensated by the better overall conservation.
I suppose you could do without if you had good hygrometers and checked them often. But in my experience, I've not yet found precise enough hygrometers to fit my jars, and tend to forget taking care of my stored stash.

One thing I read somewhere, and that made sense to me, is that you should only put the boveda pack inside the jar once you have already attained the desired humidity (or even a bit less). That way it doesn't "suck up" too much terpenes in the process, and just acts as a stabilizer.

albertgriffiths

Did you find some calibrated ones?
I have some of these from aliexpress, but the readings differ so much that I sometimes have a 20% difference between 2 hygrometers placed in the same jar...

Desert Dan

Veteran
Did you find some calibrated ones?
I have some of these from aliexpress, but the readings differ so much that I sometimes have a 20% difference between 2 hygrometers placed in the same jar...
I think the best use for the Boveda packs is to put them in an empty jar with hygrometers to “calibrate” them… This way you know how far off the mark they truly are.

-DD

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think I can put links here but have a look in amazon (and then buy somewhere else hahaha fuck you J Bezos) They are calibrated. I've noticed slight deviations between single units of about 1-2% rh but sometimes there aren't any, they're pretty accurate.
Most of mine are from a company called inkbird, they're slightly longer but super slim, easy to insert into a full jar along the glass wall. They're maybe 3" long max, 2/3" wide and may 1/5" thick
Best
CC