What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guatemala sativa

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hola dubi, I have some questions for you about the lovely guatemalan sativas.

When was this strain collected and under what circumstances? How much has your subsequent breeding taken down the flowering time and has the strain changed alot for the better? Which generation is it now?

I will be getting a pack soon enough. :)

bodymind

Veteran
good questions! I have the guatemalan and have worked it a bit ... I haven't done much to cut own flowering time, but i have selected toward two phenos:

- a lemon sativa structure with medium internodes

- and a much more common earthy sour pheno with tighter internodes

bodymind

Veteran
Also, I wouldn't recommend the guats inside unless you really tweeked your room for sati vas. They really behave correctly for me outside, but inside they are just airy and popcorny...

The Hatter

Veteran
Guatemalan does look interesting. I hear it's a very nice breading tool. What sort sort of light were they under when you got the airy flowers?

bodymind

Veteran
It is a good breeding tool. I've crossed it with flo and with a nearly 40 year old afghani sativa line... The flo cross was surprisingly disappointing and the afghani cross turned out to be amazing...
The airy flowers happened under 1000 watt metal halide... I'm not saying that the guats can't be grown inside, but the difference between indoor grown and outdoor grown expressions was very obvious.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Good info. What are the chances of finding a fast, say 75 day phenotype?

bodymind

Veteran
It's a definite possiblity. To find a fast finisher. Only a couple of odd plants didin;t want to flower. Most of the phenotypes are quite robust flowerers :)

bodymind

Veteran
picture.php

lemon pheno... she smells amazing...

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi all :)

Thule, i think bodymind have answered all your question perfectly, thank you very much!
My favourite is the lemony and the strawberry pheno, the sour woody pheno is also quite frequent but i prefer the other for the taste. They all have a very friendly happy clean and soft kind of effect.

And bodymind is right, pure guatemala doesnt work at all indoors unless you are using very big lamps and you are very sativa lover, it works much better outdoors. If you are looking for an improved guatemala hybrid that yields more and works better indoors then Tikal is your choice.

bodymind

Veteran
Thanks dubi... I just took down the big lemony guatemalan today. I have made plenty of seeds too :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
:woohoo:that's a nice looking specimen! How does the effect compare to say, Oaxacan?

dubi, how many generations have you been stabilizing the strain?

bodymind

Veteran
:woohoo:that's a nice looking specimen! How does the effect compare to say, Oaxacan?

dubi, how many generations have you been stabilizing the strain?

Thule! I'm sorry I overlooked your post! The effect is not unrelated to some of the oaxacans that I've grown. However, I'd call the guatemalan a little milder in potency and a little more "trippy" than some of the oaxacans, some of which are trippy in their own right. The oaxacan 79, which is my favorite, has a more mellow clarity rather than a speedy psychoactivity. peace!

Just ordered some ACE guatemalas from seedsman. Hope seedsman sells legit ACE genetics!

Cant wait to try outdoors in hawaii.

Does guatemala like the wet, moist lowlands?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks bodymind for the feedback and pics :yes:

Yes RedDirtWarrior, Guatemala is very mold resistant and works great in hot humid climates. Good luck!

Thanks bodymind for the feedback and pics :yes:

Yes RedDirtWarrior, Guatemala is very mold resistant and works great in hot humid climates. Good luck!

Well I was wondering more about the soil than the climate. Does it like thick red clays rich in nutrients (tropical)? Also does it prefer lots of sun?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi RedDirtWarrior,

The soil in my area is also mainly composed of clay and the sativas work great here in soil despite the high ph and hard soil. Not sure about the concrete composition and ph of the red clay in your area, it's always good to add a good amount of organic and spongy composted soil to correct a bit the clay. I think you already have experience growing our sativas there, guatemala is not very different to the other sativas, just give her plenty of direct light and the right feeding and she will reward you.

psyphish

Veteran
I didn't find any recent chatter about this strain so I decided to bump this small thread up to ask a simple question, how does my friend's Guatemala look? It's growing in coco under a 250w CMH. I think some of the "fluffy" bud structure is due to heat stress. The 250w CMH throws quite a bit of heat for the old inline fan to handle.

Also I've never seen pink pistils before, how common is this trait to the genetics?

lookin' sexy psyphish! if you have a chance to smoke it, let me know how she compares to the extreme sativas vs. shorter flowering pure sativas. i'm curious because of the in-between flowering time. hope to try this one next spring.

Latest posts

Latest posts