What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can the fish in aquaponics provide co2 for my plants in a sealed room?

B

bajangreen

In Aquaponics we use manure from live fish to grow plants, I am wondering if i could calculate how much fish would be need to provide a 4*4 canopy with all the co2 it needs .

Would be interesting if this can work.

StoneyK

Veteran
Lol I feel sorry for these poor fish...
Seriously bro if you had to ask this question spare the fish a grisly death an figure out how to run a healthy pond waaaaaay before you hook it to your plants.
I dont do aqua ponics but I have kept reef tanks and raised coral for 10 over years.
Your just gonna kill your fish then your plants when the nitrates and amonia spike
From their death.

t33to

You can't treat Aquaponics like hydroponics. Aqua is about balancing components of an eco system. If you are trying to produce co2 from fish I wouldn't use the same fish in your Aquaponic system or you might mung it up. But if you had a serious Aquarium in your room and packed it full of gold fish, kept them well fed and kept their water healthy I don't see why it's not worth a shot.

Get a Co2 meter/computer and test it out for us! Report back with results. That's a very interesting idea.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
You couldn't have any green plants or algae in your fish tanks. They'd just suck up the free CO2 put into the water by your fish, before it ever got a chance to gas off and enter the air in your room. Avoid shining light on the fish tanks. Might be easier to just keep some chickens or guinea pigs in there. Guinea pigs seem to be heavy breathers.

lovemaker

If you seal the room with aquaponics, your plants are in trouble. Excess humidity can spoil your buds. You have to make exhaust system anyway.

Dumme

Not necessarily true. I use sealed rooms. Its all in your system design, as all gardens are different.

Latest posts

Latest posts