What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you know what strength and dosage you need?

zippyandgeorge

In relation to cannabis oil, how do you know what strength and daily dosage you need?

My Dad wants to try and CBD oil to see if it will help with his breathing and pain. He has COPD and arthritis.

As you know the CBD oil comes in various percentages of CBD from 2.75% to 25%

The problem I have is that I don't know what percentage of CBD oil my Dad needs and I also don't how many times per day he needs to take some oil.

Can somebody please tell me which of the two products below would be best for my Dad?

A)

https://www.apollyon.nl/en/cbd-paste-pure

B)

https://www.dutch-headshop.eu/smartshop/cbd-oil/cbd-oil-raw-medihemp-10-cbd-cbda

zippyandgeorge

Also, how do you know how much you should take and how often? For example, let's say I buy my Dad the 10% CDB oil. Would he take say 3 drops once per day or 1 drop every 8 hours?

Maple_Flail

Hey, Not sure if this exactly what you are asking but these are some nuances to the situation you may need to be aware of.

when dealing with diluted concentrates, for most intents an purposes 1ml = 1000mg of Oil.

So the paste being 25% that would make 250mg of cbd per 1Ml of oil
The raw droppers being 10% 1ML of that is 100mg of cbd.

Personally, as a caregiver, the Paste is a much better deal for the money. However it does take a little bit of work once you get it for it to be in a reasonable doseable amount.

As far as how much? that depends on many factors, Ailments, tolerances, genetic dispositions (ie cannabinoid defecient by nature), and metabolisim.

a reasonable starting dose for arthritis is around 10mg,
onset depends on how the oil is administered. Absorbed under the tongue will be faster than eatten in a capsule or edible. 25mins to 60 mins for under the tongue, and upwards of 2 hours with and edible or capsule.

As far as durations, metabolisim and genetic tolerance takes a large factor here. My significant other burns through and edible in less than 4 hours while the same strenght edible for the same batch will last me nearly 12 hours.

6 to 10 hours after injestion seems to be reasonable for most people however there are outliers that burn through quicker and there are other that it lasts longer for.

as for diluting the paste, coconut oil (liquid or solid), butter, olive oil these sort of things would be ideal. I would suggest coconut oil initally but those that have stomach ulsers do not do well with MCT oils (causes discomfort).

Capsules for those who need to approach it like a medications, edibles for those initiated enough to know when to stop. (the better the edible the higher the gourgeing risk lol)

As for the COPD, I'd be looking for a full Spectrum CBD extract that has a significant amount of Pinene in it. otherwise this may not help so much with the lung issues.

hope this helps