What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBN and Sleep: CBN + What = Most Effective for You?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Another thread prompted an interesting discussion, and it's one I'd like to know more about.

I know (for me personally) CBN causes the narcotic-like, sleepy effect which knocks you out. What cannabinoids, terpenes, foods, whatever, have you noticed increasing this effect?

Currently I'm letting a plant or branch flower late, till all the trichomes are abmer. The strain does not seem to matter, they've all produced sleep for me quickly. I'd like to have additional options, so I'm reaching out to see what you've done yourself.

Thank you so much. I don't do the 'sleep pills' the Rx industry has produced. I have lots of issues with pills. lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
How many different strains/plants have you let go totally amber?

A few times I've given some flowers to my uncle and he says it made him sleepy every time he smoked it. But I have never really found any that makes me sleepy everytime I smoke it.
It might just be the absorption issues I have tho.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Trainwreck, C-99, Pink (Avi cut before 2.0), Pandora's Box, Brickland, Guerrilla Gold #3 and #4, plus a few more thrown in over the years of various unknown and mixes.

No full 14 week+ sativas, and only a few full on indicas. Admittedly not all were pulled full amber, but all were sleepy enough for me at a few weeks past 5-15% amber. The best 'I'm so sick I need to sleep through this' nugs have all been full amber. Lights out in 15 minutes, regardless of pain or discomfort.

I've generally worked with 5-15% amber as my maximum. Depending on strain and conditions, it's generally the 'ripe' point where THC and other cannabinoids are at maximum. It's also max terpene expression at this point and has the longest effect time, as well as the strongest rec/med effects. Personally, once it starts losing THC and showing more than 15% amber, nearly everything becomes sleepy for me. It also starts taking on a more muddled, overripe flavor/effect vs what you get at peak ripeness. Fruit becomes overly sweet, blasting out the subtleties and making for a less enjoyable fruit.

Less than 5-15% and I notice a decrease in potency, decrease in the time of effectiveness, and a decrease in yield. I have to use more, and use it more often, and I get less of it... so I wait till it's 'ripe' in my opinion. I did cut some Original Diesel x C-99 at full frosty, no amber, simply because I was turning off the light and it was 2 weeks past the other plants and still not done. Definitely super racy, but the effect does not last long. Reminds me of the C-99 I picked up from the Chatsworth dispensary, oh so long ago. (Tyvm for the smoke and ephiphany on cannabis quality :tiphat:) Gives me the shakes when I have too much.

Amber is where the CBN is at, and you can get there a variety of ways. You can harvest late at full amber, hit it with infra-red for 3 days, store it in a warm place long enough, age it long enough, and even manually heat it for a time. The more amber, the less THC and (I'm assuming) other cannabinoids.

Perhaps CBN isolate and specific terpenes would be an easy solution. Anyone know what it would take to isolate CBN from old trim/shake/flower/extract? :)

Maple_Flail

If you can find the 'Wine" pheno of Black Diamond.
its reliablely got between 0.5% and just over %1 CBN in it without alot of ambers.
Hits almost 2% with ambers..

CBN can be isolated just like CBD, it just take a higher temperature to distill it off.

Boocoodinkydow

Interesting thread. Thanx Douglas.

Insomnia is my worst unsolved malady at this point. I tried over-decarbing some material in an effort to create CBN. My experience was a totally sleepless night. I was very sedated but sleep eluded me. Additionally, it evoked some of the worst depression I’ve experienced.

I’ve never tried overripening a plant to procure naturally occurring CBN. May try that.

While not a utopian solution, my best meds for sleep right now is ground decarbed Bkackberry Kush added to a no cook edible using coconut oil that has been tainted with equal parts of myrcene, linalool and terpinolene.

Looking forward to recommendations gleaned here.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sleep with cookies

Sleep with cookies

I vape various strains in a volcano at 360*, and save the material that has been baked once, to only fill one bag. When I get enough of that material (about a qp), I will cook it in a lb of unsalted butter in a rice cooker for a few hours. Strain off the leafy material and the butter is used to make cookies per standard recipie, which cook at 360*. A couple of these cookies, even with great tolerance, brings hours of deep REM sleep. No hangover. The leafy material I give away to folks who make brownies by dumping the stuff in a batch.

Now worried about a drug test.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
cbn seems hard to come by in the commercial market. im looking forward to the day it gets the recognition it deserves...

prune

Veteran
If you're having sleep problems, pot can be your worst enemy, but as it is the life we choose there are a few things you can try.

Melatonin works and can be good for you, especially as you pop past the big 40. The body produces less as we age and supplementing can restore the deep restful sleep of youth. Three milligrams, an hour before desired sleep is a good start.

Glycine (a simple amino acid) can be crucial for healthy sleep by helping proper temper regulation and soothing the mind. Modern diet leaves most people deficient, and they will respond well to evening doses of ~3-6 grams.

Sleep gets better the longer you use either of those, and there are other healthy benefits you will notice that goes along with supplementation...

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
indeed there are a myriad of supplements that contribute significantly to good sleep, one of the most important being magnesium. also gaba acid and l-thyanine. i hadnt heard of glycine. i will check it out. ty.

prune

Veteran
indeed there are a myriad of supplements that contribute significantly to good sleep, one of the most important being magnesium. also gaba acid and l-thyanine. i hadnt heard of glycine. i will check it out. ty.

Yes, I forgot Magnesium, good catch! (however, I do rank it's effectiveness a bit below my offerings...)

2door

If you're having sleep problems, pot can be your worst enemy, but as it is the life we choose there are a few things you can try.

Melatonin works and can be good for you, especially as you pop past the big 40. The body produces less as we age and supplementing can restore the deep restful sleep of youth. Three milligrams, an hour before desired sleep is a good start.

Glycine (a simple amino acid) can be crucial for healthy sleep by helping proper temper regulation and soothing the mind. Modern diet leaves most people deficient, and they will respond well to evening doses of ~3-6 grams.

Sleep gets better the longer you use either of those, and there are other healthy benefits you will notice that goes along with supplementation...

thanks for that I might give the meloatonin a try :tiphat: