What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse vs hoophouses?

Hi Everyone,:jump:
I am NEW to greenhouses but not to growing and after years of growing both indoors and outdoors am now serious about creating my own greenhouse.
My main question is what type to pick.
I am debating on whether to build an 'A' frame or a hoophouse. After reading a bit , it seems that a hoop house would be more suitable and cost effective.
Are they as easy to build as people claim?

At the present moment I have about a dozen plants ranging in size and most are in 27 1/2 gallon containers. I thought this would be plenty big for them BUT I think they are going to outgrow these.

I'm seeking some feedback on this.
What are the things I need to consider?
Plant in the ground or put holes in the bottom of the containers.
I have the space and privacy for a large one.
How many plants, starting, early will a 20 x 10 hoophouse hold?

Also how much additional time do greenhouses usually add to the growing season?

As soon as I figure out how to add photos, I will

Thanks in advance:dance013:

Nobody ?:bump:

Ok i won't be discouraged.
I'm going to purchase a book by Eliot Coleman's called "Four Season Harvest". Apparently it shares all the outdoor growing options and lists all the pro's and con's.

I've done some previous research and found an article online about some dude who built his own greenhouse...on the cheap. He was so proud of it that he submitted pictures of it along with a story claiming how he built this 20 x 10 x 10 hoop house for less than $50 to a popular growing magazine

Of course I just HAD to read it and from the get go and it it started off peachy keen.:jump:

Then you look at the last picture and after only a few inches of snow, the entire thing collapsed because he didn't add any type of frame or structure for the ends.

Well I know it MUST have sucked for him but I just howled when I saw that.

Mr. Stinky

build this:

http://www.hightunnels.org/ForGrowers/SitePlanning&Construction/Articles/CareyHow-toBuild.htm

u can use 20' hoops for a 7 foot high arch thats 13 feet wide. 3/4" pvc conduit at homedepot is about a buck a stick. get the 20X100 6mil "clear" plastic sheet while your there too. find a local saw mill and they will have "seconds" u can buy real cheap for the baseboards. 1 1/2" drywall or decking screws can be ran right thru the pipes to make a structure and to anchor them to the boards. you can build a 13X80 hoophouse for less than 200 bucks. in the winter, put a 2x4 as a post beneath every other hoop

in a 20X10, id put 4 plants. a 13X25 u could squeeze 8 slightly smaller ones.

read more before you post, because all your questions have already been answered a few times im sure :)

build this:

http://www.hightunnels.org/ForGrowers/SitePlanning&Construction/Articles/CareyHow-toBuild.htm

u can use 20' hoops for a 7 foot high arch thats 13 feet wide. 3/4" pvc conduit at homedepot is about a buck a stick. get the 20X100 6mil "clear" plastic sheet while your there too. find a local saw mill and they will have "seconds" u can buy real cheap for the baseboards. 1 1/2" drywall or decking screws can be ran right thru the pipes to make a structure and to anchor them to the boards. you can build a 13X80 hoophouse for less than 200 bucks. in the winter, put a 2x4 as a post beneath every other hoop

in a 20X10, id put 4 plants. a 13X25 u could squeeze 8 slightly smaller ones.

read more before you post, because all your questions have already been answered a few times im sure :)
Thanks buddy.:tiphat:
I saw a few good sights for these hoop houses but want to know from someone who has actually built one before.

FOUR plants in a `10 x 20' grow space?
Really?

Ok what about if I have 12 this size and it is only June still?
What size would you reccommend? Maybe a 20 x 40?:dance013:

Mr. Stinky

ya ive built a few of em.

picture.php

i would put them side by side, 6 long in at least 18X60. thats a 30' long hoop, like in that link. they have 10X10' of space so they can grow, u can move between em, and you can keep the air moving. if you have stagnant air in a greenhouse, you WILL have bud rot.

ya ive built a few of em.

picture.php

i would put them side by side, 6 long in at least 18X60. thats a 30' long hoop, like in that link. they have 10X10' of space so they can grow, u can move between em, and you can keep the air moving. if you have stagnant air in a greenhouse, you WILL have bud rot.
Thanks Stinky
This si something I am considered right now
I have the frame up and am now considering material options as i do not want to encourage bud rot.
With all this plastic being used and no ventilation it is sure to create too much moisture.

Smokes1948

Hoophouse

Hoophouse

Hi, I built my own hoophouse starting in 2011 with a 12'x12'x7', expending it in 2014 to 20'x12'x7' and yet again in 2016 to a 30'x12'7 with a double skin (what a difference) just rembember this with cannabis your pot size is important...10 gallon is the biggest I grow in...hope this helps...if you got any questions...

Attachments

• Blueberry_zps01b39d0c.jpg
    Blueberry_zps01b39d0c.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Hoop House Expansion 2012 2.jpg
    Hoop House Expansion 2012 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Hoop House 2011 3.jpg
    Hoop House 2011 3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Hoophouse 2014 4.jpg
    Hoophouse 2014 4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 70

Thraxx

Hi, I built my own hoophouse starting in 2011 with a 12'x12'x7', expending it in 2014 to 20'x12'x7' and yet again in 2016 to a 30'x12'7 with a double skin (what a difference) just rembember this with cannabis your pot size is important...10 gallon is the biggest I grow in...hope this helps...if you got any questions...

What thickness/type and brand if you have any suggestions that would be great!