What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MMJ Dispensaries in Grand Junction Area

.♠.

Hello Colorado!!!

I have been trying to track down a listing of the top rated/best dispensaries in the GJ area and am having a hard time finding any reviews on the stores themselves.

I was wondering if there is anyone on the Western Slope who could chime in with their two cents. Here is a small list of the places I have visited.

Naturals - Very welcoming with a very nice staff. They are not that educated in strain varieties. If you ask anything more than the name then specifics start to get fuzzy. As for clones they only carry the absolute basics such as ISS and Blueberry. I have asked if they could bring in any of the strains that they have in dry form and I just got a simple "no". The quality of the buds are decent. I picked up some "Chemdog" (no "D" or '91 or anything just Chemdog). To me the buds looked lightly kiefed. It did smoke well, though not leaving the all white ash that I was hoping to see in "Medical Grade".

Heavenly Healing - This is a much smaller store ran by a husband and wife team. They are very welcoming upon entering the store and are quick to bring you into conversation, easily making you feel comfortable. The meds that I saw myself were not extraordinary, though they did all look of decent quality. For me the big win with this place is their selection of clones that they have. I was very excited to be able to pick up my first legal ladies. I picked up three clones.

Purple Paonia Paralizer (not sure when I got it but wanted it bad enough to take a chance. I asked him point blank and he in fact told me it was the "cut" from '83. Have since talked with a local who's knowledge I trust and feel that it is not really the PPP as most folk didn't even grow from clone at that point, rather growing from seed generation to generation. Also, she is growing very sativa-ish right now, with long slender leaves. Maybe she was from a PPP seed that is just expressing the sativa side of the line. Deep down I am still hoping that she surprises me by going purple and giving me that aroma/taste/high that I remember from my teenage days. More on that later if anyone is interested.

Afgoo - This cut I have only heard good things about so I was excited to get her as well. Now that I doubt the PPP though I am figuring this could be incorrect as well. EDIT: Upon searching the forums and google, it looks like the clone is dead on with other images that I have seen. In leaf growth, structure. I am feeling good about this girl being correct. I will see more-so when it is time for harvest/cure.

White Queen - This variety is the strain that the owner is entering into the Cannabis Crown. I saw several photo's the plant and bud that he is entering and she looked very dank indeed so I thought I would give her a go. She is very vigorous in the garden wasting no time putting out new sets of leaves. She will certainly be the first of the three to make into the flowering area.

There are several other Dispensaries around the valley and I am hoping that some ICmag folks can chime in and help to filter through the crack-pots so that we can focus on the worth-while stores.

I have checked out weed-maps and there are very limited reviews of a few of the stores, though really it is hard to not know if it is just the owners/employees putting those reviews up.

Keep It Green Colorado!

Last edited:

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Paonia Paralizer, the origin of chem, or at least that's the story I've heard. I imagine it is still around, but maybe not in the dispensaries. We used to get it from the montrose area, but I don't remember it being purple? Usually had a few seeds in it too, if I knew then what I know now...

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, named after the town. Also known as P-Bud, at least as far as I know. That was like 15+ years ago though. I don't really have much info other than, the name, and the area it came from. It was very good, but honestly that's about all I remember.

.♠.

PPP was the first dank bud that I ever smoked. It used to come around my end of the woods in vacuum sealed 1/4 oz bags. The stuff had a very distinct aroma, but I am no good at trying to explain smells. The high was pretty knock-out, truly the first herb that made me respect it, lol.

It will be amazing if this cut grows true, but like I said before at this point I am not going to get my hopes up any more than they have been.

I will post up some pictures of her once she is photo worthy. She is just a semi-unhappy clone right now, lol.

.♠.

Take good care of her... Good Luck!!
Colorado heritage is very important with all these import growers, and Cali strains flooding the state. Glad to see a true Colorado strain may still be around!
Do you have any info on her lineage? I really am interested since my friend talked so highly of her.

Frankie - I do not have the info on the background of the PPP. All I really know beyond the herb itself comes from a knowledgable local grower who knows alot/most of the Paonia growers. it was closely cultivated by a small group of folks in Paonia. In the mid (or maybe late) 90's LEO came into the area and wiped out most of the growers/scene and the PPP went down with them.

I have heard/read that there are a few folks who still have some of the old seed, whether collected from the growers or from seed in the bags.

I will be putting a call into the dispensary that I picked her up from to see if he can give me any more info on her.

I hear ya on preserving her. I know that the dispensary is going to be working with her, but I will be sure to keep her going as well. If she is special at all (whether she is PPP or not) she will find a home in my garden.

The P-bud was possibley not even grown in Colorado, the most recent story I heard from my college friend who went to Western States College back in 86 was that it was grown in bulk in Wyoming and then sent to a distributor in Paonia who handed it out. Supposedly sometimes off his snowmobile! Others, folks from Paonia, specifically, claim it was all grown in Paonia, or Cedaredge, or thereabouts. In reality there were probably more than one strain being passed as P-bud at some point, let's face it there wasn't a lot of info sharing back in the 80's. Weed was what you said it was, and that was that. As for the strain still being available, that's a pretty far stretch, I heard it got wiped out durng a DEA raid on the area in 94? If it's still been around, you'd think we'd have seen it more recently than NOW! It's one of the most famous strains of all time, I used to drive to Colorado from the midwest just to pick some up!

.♠.

Bud - Thanks for your input. This is the first that I have heard of it not being grown in Paonia. I haven't heard of the Wyoming gig before.

I absolutely hear ya with the fact that it is a bit strange that it would not be out on the scene until now, after so long. The person I was speaking with brought up the point that there are old growers who may have it who are just getting into the med scene.

Chances are very slim I know. When she is big enough I will post pictures. When she is ready for harvest I will photo the buds. If I can get some herb to people around my area with first hand knowledge of her from back in the 80's I will have them test it out. Maybe we will get lucky in the end.

.♠.

Just as a quick follow up, I called the dispensary and the half of the team that knows about the strains is out until Monday. So I will call back then and see if I can get any info from them.

One thing that I keep thinking about is that he was advertising it as PPP. Surely he would understand that people would be back to call him out on it if he was selling it as a mis-label.

It is very well known and not something you could just get away with faking. Though I don't know.

.♠.

Frankie - I have a tendancy to call it PPP more so than he did. He sold it to me as Purple Paonia Paralizer. When I asked more on the cut (beyond name) he strait up said that "it is the cut from '83".

I called it P-Bud in the store also.

That is the thing. I would think that when I talk to him he will be able to provide some sort of explanation like perhaps it came from P-Bud bag seed or something. I don't know. What I do know is that he seemed more knowledgeable about strains and such than the other dispensary that I have visited. He had several choices to sell me, so I don't know why he would have to push a fake. Especially since he has to know that the community would call him on it.

I am excited to grow her out either way. I wish that I had a place to grow her outside. I think that this would give us all a very good look at her. As she was mostly cultivated outdoors back in the day anyway. If she can finish in the seasonal allowance outdoors then that will at least show us that she could be a localized variety.

Chem and pbud are no way no how related genetics. The last paralyzer i saw was years ago in bonedale and it was loaded with beans, still have them all but never tried to pop them. Its a purple afghan that finishes outdoors way up in the mountains, but not a super special smoke. Oldtimer smoke. Recently there was a cut floating around some clubs that was labeled paralyzer but it was total bs nothing to do with the pbud.

Here is a little info from the chem 101 thread:
Chemdawg 101

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Special thanks go to orgogliodiprovi and chemdog who helped me straighten out the story and exact details. ***

Brief background:

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds.

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’. In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled ‘c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In '06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'. Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

Chemdawg Crosses:
• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.
• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.
• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’.

• 'chemdog' and friends made several crosses that are held closely by a small group of friends and acquaintances. Among them are:

1. Super Snowdawg (Bubble Chem x [Super skunk x Oregon Sno])
2. Giesel (Chem D x Mass Super Skunk)
3. Bubble Chem (Chemdawg’s Sister x Sag's Bubbleberry)
4. Dawg Daze aka ChemHaze (Chem D x ’93 Sensi's NL#5/Haze)
5. Chemdawg D x Pbud (another old-school Colorado strain)

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pbud is not Pure power plant. but yeah Pbud has been around since the early 80s, i know that for fact as ive smoked it in the late 80s, my buddy, who is responsible for me movin here, toked it when he was a kid, were in our 50s now. my buddy lived here in the valley his whole life.

ive met growers in paonia that i got Pbud seed from, and they grew it back in 89 for sure. an old cosmic cowboy here told me he knew they guy in paonia that started the Pbud here in the valley, he says it came from oregon when the guy moved here. hes since deceased.

since the early 90s when the feds came into the valley and pretty much ruined the grow scene here, Pbud has suffered through poor growers and bad breeding. the line is junk imo at this point, its still around here, just not as much as back in the day.

chemdawg came from mountain bikers in Crested Butte, was called The Dog, dont think noone knows if they grew it or if it was imported to the state. think they were just dealers.

CBF

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spade, theres a new MMJ center openin in Eckert, there shootin for monday, but will open sometime this week, Grand Mesa Herbal dispensary.

they will have Blue heaven, master Kush, and OG Kush when they open, all imported from cali at present. as time goes by this is what will be available locally grown.

Blue Dream
Master Kush
Ghost OG
amnesia haze
Killer Queen
Casey Jones
ChemD
Pre 2K Blueberry
Tangerine haze
Bubba Kush

cuts from my garden

Strawberry Dog
Black Tooth Grin
Purple Stone
Lerouix Diesel
Oogly Googly
Blue Lemon
Cherry haze
Strawberry Hill
Clean Kush
Strawberry Creme
Tropic Thunder

.♠.

CBF - Thank your for chiming in on the thread here, and for bringing her back around to the reason I started the thread. lol.

I am very excited to know that there will be a local place to pick up your gear. I can't wait!

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
If you are still looking for a list of dispensaries in GJ, feel free to PM me.
I have a (near) complete list, including phone numbers and addresses.
You see some crazy stuff in GJ dispensaries; like schwagg, or ppl asking for 'schwagg' by name! :nono:

Glad to see some IC'rs are in the area! :whee:
Hope this finds you all doing well! :kos:

Last edited: