What's new

Citizen CLU-038-1206 DIY Help!

justatree

Hi, I'm gonna attempt to build a Diy cob led grow light.. on a budget.

the idea is to get 4 Clu-038-1206, each one would go with a phillips certadrive 30w 30-42v 700ma. according to cob's datasheet it would run at half its max current (1380ma - 35v).

other option is to go with a chinese energy supply (brand) driver that pulls 900ma 25-36v - 32,9w. this way I could run it a little bit harder.

anyhow the cobs end up running about 25w-30w. datasheet says 150 lm/w. I use a convertion rate of 0.015 (3500k) to get the ppfd average.
It would be enough?
this setup goes in a 2x2 to house 2 plants scrog in 10l (3 gallon?) buckets, soil.

I had non experience with led other than screw-in households (wich I'm currently running 114w for 2.41 sqft) and couldn't find much info on this citizen clu-038, it's pretty much all about the clu-048, but those aren't an option for my budget currently.

are the clu038 better than chinese 50w 220v?
price its almost the same other than clu's need a driver each (one bigger driver it's more expensive than multiple individual)

sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Koondense

Veteran
Hi,
nice to see someone is still making diy lights :)

A few details...
You won't be getting 150lm/w, a bit less because the specs say 150@540mA,you will drive them harder so expect 130-140lm/w.
And yes, they will still be better than driverless cobs.
But i think you should take some time and think of basic things. Like what and how much light you get for the price.
What is your budget?

Asking because prices for lights like mars ts are so low, it is almost unsustainable to make your own lights.

Think about it and see if it makes sense.

I still have some cobs left and it's hard to justify using them in diy instead of buying a finished light. However Veros are still pretty efficient so maybe i'll use them eventually.

Do the math and see what's your best option.

Cheers

justatree

Hi,
nice to see someone is still making diy lights :)

A few details...
You won't be getting 150lm/w, a bit less because the specs say 150@540mA,you will drive them harder so expect 130-140lm/w.
And yes, they will still be better than driverless cobs.
But i think you should take some time and think of basic things. Like what and how much light you get for the price.
What is your budget?

Asking because prices for lights like mars ts are so low, it is almost unsustainable to make your own lights.

Think about it and see if it makes sense.

I still have some cobs left and it's hard to justify using them in diy instead of buying a finished light. However Veros are still pretty efficient so maybe i'll use them eventually.

Do the math and see what's your best option.

Cheers

thanks for passing by
The marsts600 for $80 it's the same money that cost the 4 cob diy project. but shipping cost it's crazy, other 60 bucks!
so I have no other choice but to diy, I rather buy the premade, but can't afford it atm.