What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling All Pot Sommeliers

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:1help:I think We should make a system on I.C. mag for breeders, growers, and smokers like the Sommelier system based around wine. They have level 1, 2, 3, and then masters. anyone can be a lvl one or 2 if they can pass a pretty hard test. To be any levels higher you must be invited by the masters. People like GN, Tom Hill, and DJ short would be masters. The list of masters could go on. Anyways check this out on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommelier

I think this could help separate the true breeders from cash farmers, and help poeple know who to trust when getting seeds. Also I think it would help people have a goal, and motivation to do things right.

It would be incredible to have an organization like this before it was even legal in the states. It would put us a step ahead once legalization happens as well. There can be people that assure big corporations, that are bound to join in the game, cant sell crap as top quality. They will hire master breeders to head up their progams. It gives them credibility, and quality control. Just like if I buy a first growth Burgandy, I know it is going to be far better than some cheap ass grocery store table wine.

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Steps

The Steps

Step 1. Gather all the people that you consider masters, and then see if they know masters that you dont. Then have them invite them. That way you have a decent group of like 20-30 people.

Step 2. Come up with a set of rules for bud clasification. Like the french system of clasifing wine. You name by year/month, then strain, then grower, then grow method, then region.

(Fake) Example. This is a may/2008; Tom Hill Deep Chunk; grown by Benji; Outdoor organics; in napa valley, Howell mountain, California, USA.

Step 2.5 Come up with a rating system. Rate a bud from 1-100. like wine spectator.

Step 3. Here is the big one. Compile all of your colective knowledge, on growing, processing, breeding, and genetics. This also includes being able to identify exact strains from observation.
Also incuded is the knowledge of hash, pot history, breeder history, and hemp.

Step 4. divide the knowledge in to 4 test with progressive difficulties. Level 1,2,3, and master.

Step 5. let people start taking the level one test. people can go to level 2 if they pass level 1, but level 3's and Master's must be invited by a master.

Step 6. Original master's chose original level 3's

step 7. store data on a web site, and add rating to spot near avatar.

Step 8. expand the system around to others in the Netherlands, USA, Canada, etc. It will catch on With support from the right people. I imagine the coffee shop community would love it.

Step 9. U.S. system with have to be a little more descreet keeping our forum, or breeder names.

It would be a big group effort, but I see a lot of good things coming out of a system like this.

Last edited:
S

sinappi

Sounds good!!:D
I use work as head chef and that sort of thing have past my mind too;)

Great post man!:D

Jiihaa:D

Capn

Hash Zepplins idea is good, I like it.

Some of these other posts though...i need to get some of what steppin is smokin.

C

Cookie monster

I quite like the idea seems like a good one to me K+...

And so i would officially like to apply for the position of sprout,seedling or whatever the lowest rung on the ladder is.

I'm real strong and can carry lots of water and dig real well all i ask for in return is some food and a little education.

D

draco

We can do it now or it will happen later. If we do it purposefully and soon (while we still have control), maybe the real experts will be pushed to the front... if we wait we may have the $ choosing the "experts".

That would suck.

I really love the idea of getting out ahead of this. How to start?

D

draco

There are I think 13 states in which canna is legal... we ARE changing over from a vast black market to grey, and the huge amounts of $ involved is NOT being overlooked by pharma...

Seem like we can shape it now, or have big $ make all the decisions for us...

The more I think about this the more sense it makes.

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
the masters of the wine industry have created a system designed to keep others from being mastwrs.
I'll pass on this system.

This sounds like a really good method to implement our own system rather than having to battle it out at a later date. With an established group of true masters and a solid test for level one and level 2, this system could be really well put to use, especially because by uniting the most knowledgeable/experienced growers in our own community we could essentially create a monopoly on both knowledge and skill that, if gov't grown weed is any evidence, could far outshine Uncle Sam or Big Pharma. Plus it would motivate people who wanted to be involved to work in a manner conducive to benefiting the entire group, structure, and essentially country as a whole. I mean, let's be real, after legalization while there will be many people who show up to their local dispensary and just ask for really good weed that will do x, y, and z, the aficionados who already exist will be joined by those who were prevented from becoming aficionados due to prohibition and they're all/we're all gonna want to be able to have some system for determining/comparing quality and the like.

OrganicMeds

Yeah but the TRUE master's IMHO DONT even know what a computer looks like, let along go advertising on the net or ICMAG .......lol

The "True Master" stay hidden, that's why there masters ;)

Just seems like another system to lable us and put us in little boxes......

1. Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

2. And the people in the houses
All go to the university,
And they all get put in boxes,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives,

3. And they all play on the golf-course,
And drink their Martini dry,
And they all have pretty children,
And the children go to school.
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
And they all get put in boxes
And they all come out the same.

4. And the boys go into business,
And marry, and raise a family,
And they all get put in boxes,
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one

707Corridor

the masters of the wine industry have created a system designed to keep others from being mastwrs.

I have heard the same from very well known wine makers and big players in the wine industry.

BUT it would be cool to see some kind of system like the sommelier system but I see too much getting in the way...like country of origin and medium type questions and such.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

^this is not true at all. I know a Master somm personally and that is not how they are. 99% of people that think they know a little something about wine dont know shit. They cant even grasp the knowledge and skill, that it would take to be a master. It is not as easy as it looks to just serve wine. there is a whole intricate proccess that you have to go though in preparation to open a bottlte of wine older than 20 years. Unless you are around it everyday though it is hard to understand.

The same thing can be applied to pot.

moving on...
Another cool thing about this in a legalized market would be that old school growers from northern cali and other places could finally be recognized for their years of contribution to growing, and overgrowing the system. Also to recognize them for their expertise.

It would sort of be like the hippy out law somms. lol

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah but the TRUE master's IMHO DONT even know what a computer looks like, let along go advertising on the net or ICMAG .......lol

The "True Master" stay hidden, that's why there masters ;)

Just seems like another system to lable us and put us in little boxes......

no it is a voluntary system. The point of it is to keep big tobacco companies from selling shwag mixed with tobacco or other trash as quality in a decriminalized or legalized market. They will eventually want in on the game that is robbing their cigarrette business.

S

Sir_Nugget

i think this is bullshit because if pot wasn't illegal, a 4 year old toddler, could drop a seed on the ground and push it down with his finger, then water it everyday outside until.. omg.. dankness was created.. and it took no skill whatsoever.. pot growing is a scam, if this ever becomes legal,m were all out of a job =(

if your proud of yourself because u were able to grow a weed, give urself a kiss on the cheeck and pat on the butt... Takes no brains to breed or grow the dankest in the world.. my 2 cents.. B4 i knew anything about soil compision, i had my own veggie garden when i was like 7 or 8, stop kidding yourselves gals.. weed growing is NOT a challenge!

I'l tell u what it is, people r freaked out, wacked out and paranoid to the core of their shitters.. and any1 that thinks planting a weed plant is hard, u r retarded