What's new

How long do seeds take to form?

I introduced a new male into my grow, but its in a box which is supposed to not let out pollen. Let's say some of the pollen got released into the room, how long would it take for that specific pollen from the new male to actually form into seeds. There are some seeds on the females in the room already. So I introduced the new male into the room about a week ago. Im using the females solely for making seeds, I don't care about smoking the bud. There are some seeds on the females already. Let's say I pulled the females right now, would I be safe from the pollen from the new male contaminating the females that were already seeded. Or is there a chance that the seeds already started forming from a week ago?

Amynamous

I think seeds are fully mature in 5-6 weeks like green-genes77 stated.
However, seeds can be mature/viable in 4weeks.
I believe that seeds could be immature and still be viable at 3-3.5 weeks.
That being said, i also believe other factors in seed maturation are in play as well, such as genetics and how far along in flowering the plant is when it is fertilized with the pollen.

How long ago was the original pollination?

Last edited:
G

growhigh1233

you can get viable seed in as little as 30 days from pollination, but they will be small pale and allot will not of developed .....but to get fully mature seeds id give them as long as reasonably possible in your situation.............get nice dark seeds then ... and lots of em

troutman

Seed Whore
Let them mature and wait until the calyxes turn from shiny green to a faded color. Cut down the plant only after you've tested
a few random seeds out to see if any are mature. You want full colored seeds. White and green seeds are garbage. I wait until
the plant is almost dead and has lost a lot of fan leaves with dark seeds being visible.

troutman

Seed Whore
I find after about 3 to 4 days of pollination you can see the pistils wither and turn color indicating you're going to get seeds. :tiphat:

I think seeds are fully mature in 5-6 weeks like green-genes77 stated.
However, seeds can be mature/viable in 4weeks.
I believe that seeds could be immature and still be viable at 3-3.5 weeks.
That being said, i also believe other factors in seed maturation are in play as well, such as genetics and how far along in flowering the plant is when it is fertilized with the pollen.

How long ago was the original fertilization?

The original fertilization was about 7 weeks ago atleast. This a african sativa that I polinated and its taking forever to flower but I can see some seeds that look pretty black and ready and big. I basically just wanna harvest now incase it got polinated by the other plant.

Coz I don't want a mix of seeds from two different males basically. Haha coz that would be a bit of a mess. The plant is supposed to be african sativa and I'm doing a reproduction run, but then I introduced another male which is in a sealed box, but there might be some pollen leaking into the room so I'd rather take when I can get now of the seeds that have formed already. Was just trying to figure out if I still have time to pull her.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

F2F

Hiya Africa,

Pulled a lower today to check trichs and seed stage. Pollination Aug 16.
picture.php

You’ll be able to tell them apart based on appearance. but, guessing you’d prefer not to comb through all those. ;)

Peace
F2F

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive not had any seed lot finish before 40 days. I can see the seeds without doing anything. Once you get use to how plants look after pollination the pistils will show ya if there pollinated. They will shrivel up and die.

G13Fan

How long should you let the seeds sit until they are good to plant ? Is it ok to just germinate them right away? Nature does not work like that is the reason why I'm askin.

Sunshineinabag

I introduced a new male into my grow, but its in a box which is supposed to not let out pollen. Let's say some of the pollen got released into the room, how long would it take for that specific pollen from the new male to actually form into seeds. There are some seeds on the females in the room already. So I introduced the new male into the room about a week ago. Im using the females solely for making seeds, I don't care about smoking the bud. There are some seeds on the females already. Let's say I pulled the females right now, would I be safe from the pollen from the new male contaminating the females that were already seeded. Or is there a chance that the seeds already started forming from a week ago?

Once the seeds get mature the casing holding them swells and tries to open. Some Ive had open....I let the plant decide when it's seeds are done. Great question.

B

Benny106

SamSkunkman says that 10 weeks on the plant from pollination, ensures a full carbohydrate load for the seed which helps long term viability. My guess with seed drying would be at least a month from harvest, but that depends on how long they were in the plant i guess too.
Some wild types have sporadic germination locked in, i just had a seed pop up out of the pile of dirt i dump seed germ trays into...no water apart from maybe some drips from the aloe above, but a full 10 at least weeks since i dumped anything there and probably 4 month since i wet any seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts