What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

El Tigre's TINY BOX for reversing plants and pollen collection

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
After seeing Sam has 25 year old pollen which works, and is uncut with flour, I'm skipping the flour dilution for storage. :)

Use a spray bottle with plain water in it. Once you close up the box, spray near the ceiling, all around the room. This will knock down the excess pollen. I recently started eating pollen, and I don't get allergy symptoms from cannabis pollen any longer. ;)

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Incredibly useful Blynx! Thanks also to you Reiko for confirming.
Now I have quite clear the process.:tiphat:

If you want, I ask you (or who wants to) further help / opinion:

I have the small box in a separate room but not so far from the flowering tent (I live in an apartment).
I have the JLB style filter running so i should be safe when the box i closed and the plant untouched.

On the other hand i fear to spread out the pollen if i touch male flowers too much.
Thinking about harvesting once when enough flowers are starting to opening, taking just the pollen that i can get in that occasion, it makes sense?
I'm too concerned about contamination?

When I want to collect pollen, I throw the male plant under the light with the flowering females. After about week and a half to two weeks, I pull it out and put it in a storage room sitting on a bench in the open. I keep the door to the room shut and there is another door separating the flowering plants. The plant will keep flowering. Tho it slows down after a week due to not being under 12/12, this still allows me to usually collect a couple small packets of pollen. Every day or two (depending on how many male flowers are opening) I take the pile from that day or two and put it in a foil packet. Each packet contains a day or two release of pollen.

I have not run into issues with seeds in the flowering plants using this method.

Couple things to keep in mind;

1. Keep the doors closed and as Douglas mentioned, spray/mist the air in the room/hallway to take care of any stray pollen.

2. Don't go into the flowering area after collecting pollen.

asdfasf

I wanted to pull up a chair. I just sprayed some GA3 on my clones and will need to build like three of these boxes

asdfasf

Gibberellic acid (also called gibberellin A3, GA, and GA3) is a hormone found in plants and fungi. People here said it can be used for sex reversal instead of CS or STS.

Yeah I will flower my plants with all the other ones but when they start showing bananas I will have to move them out. I hope the plants don't grow too big from this hormone though

El Tigre

Gibberellic acid (also called gibberellin A3, GA, and GA3) is a hormone found in plants and fungi. People here said it can be used for sex reversal instead of CS or STS.

Yeah I will flower my plants with all the other ones but when they start showing bananas I will have to move them out. I hope the plants don't grow too big from this hormone though

Ah ok, i didn't know that it could be used for this.
I'll read further and try to learn about.

How long you need to spray it?
I'm happy with CS but honestly spraying twice a day for 20 days and more could be a problem in certain periods..

El Tigre

MALE FLOWERS UPDATE

MALE FLOWERS UPDATE

Things seem to be going well for me.
I want to get rid of the leaves soon, so I will have easier access to the flowers to pick.
I'm still spraying, could I stop?
I have the impression that these two poor branches could produce much more pollen than I need...

picture.php

asdfasf

Ah ok, i didn't know that it could be used for this.
I'll read further and try to learn about.

How long you need to spray it?
I'm happy with CS but honestly spraying twice a day for 20 days and more could be a problem in certain periods..
Honestly, there's not much on GA3. There's much more on STS and CS. I think I'm gonna stick to the guidelines from that CS thread but even them are not clear.
Spray every day 5 days before flip and then every day until I see bananas I guess. Shit, the other clones are under 13/11 since last week and they haven't started flowering so I guess I'm gonna be spraying them for like a month:laughing:. It's an experiment for me. I will report back if I get anywhere with it.
Your results look nice though. Good luck with the actual pollination part:tiphat:

hellfire

Things seem to be going well for me.
I want to get rid of the leaves soon, so I will have easier access to the flowers to pick.
I'm still spraying, could I stop?
I have the impression that these two poor branches could produce much more pollen than I need...

View Image

Yes you can stop. Its got male preflowers now, you are good to go. More sprays can lead to sterile or no pollen production. That plant looks a tad high in N to me.

El Tigre

Honestly, there's not much on GA3. There's much more on STS and CS. I think I'm gonna stick to the guidelines from that CS thread but even them are not clear.
Spray every day 5 days before flip and then every day until I see bananas I guess. Shit, the other clones are under 13/11 since last week and they haven't started flowering so I guess I'm gonna be spraying them for like a month:laughing:. It's an experiment for me. I will report back if I get anywhere with it.
Your results look nice though. Good luck with the actual pollination part:tiphat:
Thanks for the good wishes man. Keep me informed about your experiment with GA3, it's always interesting to delve into new things.

El Tigre

Yes you can stop. Its got male preflowers now, you are good to go. More sprays can lead to sterile or no pollen production. That plant looks a tad high in N to me.

Hi hellfire, welcome and many thanks for the advice.
I did my last spray just before reading your post today.
I hope i didn't overdo yet.
Fell free to give more suggestions if you want to.

Yes high N, i had the idea to feed couple of times with a generic product for apartment plants (NPK 5-3-8)... probably not the best idea.
Now i think there's nothing to do apart hoping that plant will produce viable pollen despite the high N.

I'm not going to flush or something like this, male flowers will be inside the little box until i cut them. :tiphat:

Last edited:

El Tigre

Can i pick that flowers now? or is better me to wait until tomorrow when the are fully open (i think)?
How many of those should i collect in order to have enough pollen to do some branch pollination in the future?
I do not need a ton of pollen but not even want to collect too little and nullify all the work.

picture.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can i pick that flowers now? or is better me to wait until tomorrow when the are fully open (i think)?
How many of those should i collect in order to have enough pollen to do some branch pollination in the future?
I do not need a ton of pollen but not even want to collect too little and nullify all the work.

View Image

I wait until they are fully open and I can see yellow pollen on the pollen sacs.

When they first open, they will be green.

Collect a couple dozen at least. That should give you enough pollen to make a bunch of seeds. You do not need very much pollen to make seeds.

El Tigre

I wait until they are fully open and I can see yellow pollen on the pollen sacs.

When they first open, they will be green.

Collect a couple dozen at least. That should give you enough pollen to make a bunch of seeds. You do not need very much pollen to make seeds.

Thanks Blynx. You say green, what about the yellowish that i have?
It' genetic? I'm late? o something else?

EDIT: Now i understood you were talking about pollen sacs that turn from green to yellow. Sorry, don't mind the question

Last edited:

brickweeder

yellow is better than green, higher viability. You'll get viable pollen from those fluffy yellowish ones you have, so you can pick them now or wait a bit, but when they open, they do so quickly and release their pollen, so if you miss the drop, you'll have scattered pollen to deal with.

You can also just cut a whole flowering shoot off the plant and place on a plate in a enclosed area. Pollen will fall out of the opening flowers and collect on the plate over a couple of days. Scrape it up, put it in a container, clean up, and you're in business.