What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tyrone's Arboretum and Cannabinoid Oasis

TyroneShoelace

AC/DC

AC/DC

I wanted to bring the AC/DC back into the fore. This herb has been curing a while now and despite being poorly grown, it is my favorite smoke by far. It is the medicine my head craves and it has earned a long-term space in my garden.

picture.php

The aroma does not have any sharp, skunky, fruity, or otherwise "traditional" cannabis qualities. It's very complex. Woody, pipe tobacco, leather, old library, antiques, moss, humid forest floor. It has a mentholated tingle in the nostrils. It's not my favorite aroma, but it sure is unique and the flavor is rather enjoyable in a vaporizer. It sticks in the olfactory.

The effect is where it really shines, though. There is a strong sense of physical and mental relaxation. It is all encompassing. There is no debilitation whatsoever. I can't imagine there's more than 1% THC. But there's enough to provide a change in headspace. This is the herb I reach for when I want to unwind at the end of a day, when I need to recover from vigorous exercise, when I'm experiencing anxiety, or muscle pain. Every time I vaporize it I am left with a positive mental state, a cheshire cat smile, and I think, "this is nice".

Here's the mom:
picture.php

A few months ago I decided she would be a good candidate for an homage to Rosaberry with a twist. I knocked her up with a Flo F5 male. The goal there is to see what the initial cross will produce, and if desirable, to cross those desirable offspring to lock in their traits. In the end I'd like to find a male in one of those generations that I can cross back to this AC/DC mom to reinforce the wonderful effects, while using the Flo's influence to improve flavor, vigor, and some of those lovely blue aesthetics. I'd prefer to keep it a predominantly CBD strain, so will always be selecting in that direction.

Of course all that depends on what happens with each generation and each individual. I'll adjust the plan as needed.

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze 45F

CBD Mango Haze 45F

Buds are filling in between the nodes. Calyxes are starting to swell. Nary a red hair. That makes me a bit optimistic that she's going to be a chonker when it's all over.

I would be blown away if I could pull down somewhere in the neighborhood of 100g off this plant. I think it's possible, but it's a lofty goal. Realistically I'll be happy to pull anything down at the end.

The pictures are a bit deceiving. There is a lot more resin than they show. Even the largest, oldest fan leaves have trichomes running down the leaflets. Not on the edges but covering the whole surface. But most of the resin is where it should be, packed into the buds. And the quality is very high. Just an intoxicating and lovely smell

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze #1 49F

CBD Mango Haze #1 49F

End of week 7. Dropped the micro per Bush Dr's suggestion. The plant appears to be maturing from the bottom up. Buds are filling out. The candied fruit aroma is taking on an incense undertone.
picture.php
picture.php

TyroneShoelace

Week 8 Budshots

Week 8 Budshots

These might be more interesting to see than full plant shots :)

Lower buds are moving along.
picture.php
picture.php

Sunshineinabag

Basketball Jones........

Basketball Jones........

Salutations :tiphat:

The Oasis is where I'm patiently searching through seeds for winners. Variety is the spice of life, so I'm working through very different chemotypes looking for magic. Unique terpene profiles, novel cannabinoid ratios, and clear-headed therapeutic effects.

Flowering in a 2'x2'x4' tent using approx. 250 actual watts of blurple LED. Currently flowering in 3" nursery pots using 100% coir as the medium. Hand watering daily, though that's gotta stop soon. I have let the pots dry out too many times and the plants do not enjoy that. Automation is coming along with larger pots. Food is GH Flora 6/9 with 1ml/gal of True Root Boost.

I plan to use this as a place to log my observations and hopefully gain knowledge from people who know more than I do.

Here are a few varieties that have moved through the tent recently:

AC/DC. Took on a strong strawberry aroma late in flower. Cured to a ripe blueberry smell and flavor. This is a pretty consistent type III, though I can anecdotally say there's more THC than 0.3%.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81740&pictureid=1992449&thumb=1]View Image[/url][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81740&pictureid=1994013&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Special Sauce was very spicy with a slight honeydew melon aroma. This one was supposed to be type III, but got me pretty blasted when I took a taster bud at day 53. Feels like there's way more THC than CBD. Not really a fan of anything about either of these plants.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82065&pictureid=2001536&thumb=1]View Image[/url][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82065&pictureid=2001537&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

There's plenty more to come...

What a wonderful skit that was back in the day ....great screen name man!:friends:

Swanson

:party:
Fellow strain breader kicking ass as always. I'm taking a break from weed all together. Swanson does this from time to time. Apparently the strains are doing well with occasional freaky mutations and some CBD content.

Amynamous

Fellow strain breader kicking ass as always. I'm taking a break from weed all together. Swanson does this from time to time. Apparently the strains are doing well with occasional freaky mutations and some CBD content.

How long of a break are you going for?

Tyrone- your description of your AC/DC was inspiring. I am going to put it on my ToDo list. Thanks

TyroneShoelace

Hey Swanson! I am thinking it's probably time for me to do the same. Got any tips or techniques to fight temptation?

Yeah I am interested to see how much of the Flo mutations come through in the CBD crosses. Got 2 ACDC x Flo seedlings going and they are already showing their DJ lineage with reddish/purple tinted new growth. Nothing out of the ordinary with them otherwise.

Tyrone- your description of your AC/DC was inspiring. I am going to put it on my ToDo list. Thanks
It is a solid strain, but not a traditionally "recreational" one. It is nice to medicate with, though. It can really mellow out a high-THC strain when used in a blend, or hitting the AC/DC just before the THC strain.

Anyways, not much in the way of updates here. Sadly I lost the AC/DC and CBD Mango Haze #1 mothers to aphids. Those rat bastards snuck in quickly and took advantage of a densely packed mother room. I did some significant thinning and gave them all a nice Spinosad treatment. Will follow that up again next week and keep a close eye on things.

All I have left of the AC/DC is about a half OZ of cured tops and some AC/DC x Flo seeds. Very disappointing to lose that plant, but I'll find something else. Hopefully this OG plant has a similar ratio of CBD:THC.

My only hope to keep the MH#1 is to reveg the bush. I'm absolutely going to try. If it doesn't work, I'll have to get more seeds and hope my luck is good in finding this tasty pheno again.

picture.php

Happy weekend, folks!

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze 58F

CBD Mango Haze 58F

Well we've survived midway into week 9 at this point. I have been keeping the root zone a bit drier than normal since I know the aphids are lurking. I'm going to let the MH finish naturally. Hopefully her roots remain healthy enough to make it til harvest. Will be treating the mothers with Imidacloprid this weekend and moving forward.

Does anyone have any tips to keep the wet medium free of things like aphids, springtails, etc?

I keep the room clean and free of dead plant matter, dust, and debris. I wash my hands before I open a room, between each room, and again after I'm done.

After this harvest I plan to sterilize my coir before use. All I have done previously is hydrate, rinse/sift, and go.

Anyways, she's alive. Not looking like she'll hit 100g, but 60 might be realistic. Depends on how much these calyxes will swell before she gives up.

The larf is maturing way faster than the tops. Couple weeks and her undergrowth will be cleaned of all that mess. Will take some microscope shots in a week or two and see where we're at. The pistils don't seem to wither much past a light peach color, and good lord the top colas are slow. Swell dammit!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Swanson

As for tolerance breaks tips: lay off booze if possible (ultimate gateway drug), exercise, know you will probably be more efficient with daily tasks not being blitzed including growing weed, personal relations or work (I do know a few exceptions to this though). Make a list of your reasons for wanting to ease use or stop. My personal favorite is not driving after indulging. I used to do it constantly back the day but it gives me bad karma I feel and can be unsafe. If i want to go anywhere via car then I can't be smoking fatties before breakfast like I used to. Really cuts the usage down as I generally work or do sports during the day.

TyroneShoelace

As for tolerance breaks tips: lay off booze if possible (ultimate gateway drug), exercise, know you will probably be more efficient with daily tasks not being blitzed including growing weed, personal relations or work (I do know a few exceptions to this though). Make a list of your reasons for wanting to ease use or stop. My personal favorite is not driving after indulging. I used to do it constantly back the day but it gives me bad karma I feel and can be unsafe. If i want to go anywhere via car then I can't be smoking fatties before breakfast like I used to. Really cuts the usage down as I generally work or do sports during the day.

Thanks, Swanson! Great tips! I really like the list idea. I keep a whiteboard of revolving goals and this would be a fantastic mini-list to add to it for motivation.

I hope the list will provide adequate resistance to old habits. I remember the first time I took a break after smoking daily for a year straight. After a week off I felt like I had super powers. That taught me a lot about moderation.

Looking forward to the break. I guess there's no time like the present to start. Making a list tonight and hope to stop until MH#1 is dried and the buds are cured at least 2 weeks.

Thanks for the motivation!

Mosquito dunks in the water will kill bugs

Thank you, Bush Dr! I read these can be effective. Will do some more research on their application in the res. I really don't want to lose any more plants.

I do think this is nature's way of telling me that I need fewer of them so I can pay closer attention to each individual. I'm not going to pop any more seeds until I cull at least a few moms. Gotta work on my skills before I waste more good seeds.

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze #1 63F

CBD Mango Haze #1 63F

9 weeks down and things are beginning to develop more quickly now. The lack of Micro is beginning to show. Looks like the plant is starting to use up her N reserves. The tops are starting to test the structural integrity of their branches. Calyxes are still a bit slow to swell, but they're moving along.

The funk is really strong now. It's giving my carbon filter a real run for its money. Every now and then I can detect a whiff of faint sweaty socks outside the tent. I have a backup on standby just in case, but would prefer not to change it mid-stream unless I have to.

So here are some pictures in different light. The lowers are so much further along than the tops. Tops are 90% young thick pistils and calyxes lack any body.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze #1 70F

CBD Mango Haze #1 70F

10 weeks are in the books now. The lower buds have swollen quite a bit and looking nearly done. The uppers still have some filling out to do.

The smell is ridiculous. I had to put a second carbon filter on, so now the fan is pulling through one and pushing through another. That has resolved the issue thankfully. Redundancy is a beautiful thing, folks!

Still too early to call, but it looks like she's targeting 12 weeks. We shall see.

On to the pictures:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze #1 73F Tester

CBD Mango Haze #1 73F Tester

After pulling a lower bud for a test I think 12 weeks is a reasonable expectation. The last two weeks has seen very rapid maturation, but she's still got plenty of swell left in her. The most mature calyxes are frosting up now at the end of week 10.

Lots of cloudy trichs. Very few clear. Just a few amber at this point. I'm in no rush. She will go as long as she needs to.

picture.php

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

CBD Mango Haze #1 77F

CBD Mango Haze #1 77F

11 weeks down and she's getting close. She won't win any beauty contests, but the smell is divine.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php