What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Introduction to Proff. Skittles - help with first time (PC) grower? A lot of reading*

Proff.Skittles

Hello everyone, :jump: would like to introduce myself to the forums - I'm starting a PC micro-grow and i'm trying to be as professional as i possibly can be, this is my first grow and I do not want many mistakes with my grow. I am continually improving my (theoretical - soon to be practical) setup. I am buying EVERYTHING on one of the (hopefully early) days next week. I will make a journal for anyone interested. BTW, sorry, i write a lot. I like to be in depth - also I have a few (a lot, lol, just want to be as close to perfect as I can be at the moment) questions nearer the bottom.

I've always been the 'smart' one, not being arrogant. I like to know as much as i can, and apply it to whatever i can. I don't like failure (although I know it's never works out like: "Do -> succeed", and more like "do -> fail -> do -> fail -> do -> fail -> do -> succeed". But i'm playing trial and error in my head.

I have a B in chemistry and an A in biology, which (seems like it) helps. Unfortunately the idea of growing 'weed' in my parents house doesn't seem too appealing to them (morals). So i'm going to have to be stealthy as fuck (don't comment with how i'm being disrespectful), I have £100 (around $150 - $200), which (i have calculated) will pay for all the necessities that i will need to grow.

I will be using 2 120mm fans (exhaust will be stronger than intake obviously) will have a Scrog screen, a timed plug socket, a carbon filter (home-made), a clock (lol fancy) and a thermometer along with neat wiring! :D (you'll see why I have not included lights).

Here are my fuck load of questions i'm sure you will all enjoy reading! (seriously though, I am pretty sure you guys would like to see good growing, rather than poor growing, also I realise it's highly technical and that a lot of you guys are pretty in depth and write a lot - like me - yay!:woohoo: so i hope i've not gone overboard on questions:

- I have not got my PC yet, but it will be average sized (I will probably go for the largest for obvious reasons) or any other parts for that matter. My local high street supplies cannabis seeds, fans, timed plugs, DIY tools, a Maplin which i will need to purchase wiring from etc. I am not sure if lights will be available to me so I will be on the scavenge for them (Lights are like the main thing though, lol), but my main question is.. what lights will I need to grow (GOOD)? Yield is a big part of my goal, I understand wattage is a big factor (aswell as lumens and colour spectrum which to be completely honest i'm not bothered with atm). I hear HPS bulbs work best, but I do not want a LOT of heat (which will be a problem due to space) as that will mean more noise from the fans. I also hear CFL lights make airy buds. So suggestions please! Lights in the UK seem alot more expensive though.. I have a link to these lights that i think would work well.. however I do not know.. http://www.litecraft.co.uk/light-bu...white-circular-t9-g10q-4-pin-fluorescent-tube - Tell me if they will work well and how many I should get (1 or 2)? Also is it the 'equivelant' wattage i should care about or the actual wattage? As i have 2 bulbs at home that are 8 watt but are 'equivalent' to 40 watts.. don't think 16w would be too good to be fair :whee: haha!

- I know how to attach fans to plugs but I am worried that a 12v fan + a 100-240v (blackberry) plug = disaster?.. or is this not an issue? Also can i attach two fans to the same plug so they run simultaneously? Like a double circuit? So attach the positive wire from both fans to the positive wire on the plug.. get the picture?

- Does anyone know (if they exist) what the cable converters for a PC end (that would go into the main PC power supply) that change into an extension cable are called? Or will I have to paint an extension cable wire black? lol

- I am planning on bending the shit out of this plant mayn, I will have the pot on one side of the case and keep zig zagging it upwards to get maximum surface area for buds, since I am scrogging should i veg? and for how long? Or should I flower from day one? Yield and time is precious to me.

- How high up/low down should I have the scrog? what percentage of space should it take up from the light and the plant pot?

ALSO (sorry ahaha) How important is humidity? I was thinking of putting cola bottle domes around the plant during it's first few weeks of growth but I don't know if levels of humidity affect it much? I mean it will get humid in there, it must, but how badly does it affect it?

LAST ONE, I promise - what's a good plant to grow? I mean I can grow any (indica/sativa/hybrid) because of the 12/12 scrog grow, but what would be best for yield, time, potencty and odor (when using a carbon filter (I hear they are not 100% effective - maybe they aren't made well by the user idk)).

I know there was loads of questions (even questions in themselves) but if anyone would care to answer, that would be great, even only one question would stop me from stressing so much ahaha, I want my baby to be beautiful! Thanks in advance guys. :tiphat:

q3corn

Hey, good to see a new micro/nano grower!

You've got a lot of great questions. Luckily quite a few of them are addressed in the PC stealth grow sticky in this forum. If you haven't already, smoke a joint and read through that whole thing. You'll see the progress of building a pc case, and then in subsequent posts you'll see included all the new tech that makes PC growing that much easier.

I'll give a few quick answers to some of these
Lighting: actual watts is what you're looking for when measuring bulb power, not equivalent watts. Get the lowest profile bulbs you can and get multiple low-watt versions to create a more even canopy.
Fans: I don't know if I understand this question really. You may need a power adapter?
Power cable: Just get a black extention cord. Don't use the PC's power supply, it takes up a ton of space, a lot of power, and creates a lot more heat than you want
Training and light schedule: Totally up to you. Screen-of-green and 12-12 from seed is a great way to keep things small. Try it out!
Scrog height: Depends on the light! Just don't have it too high where the buds get burned
Humidity: Important within reason. The difference between 40% and 45% RH is negligible in a small space, but the difference between 50% and 80% is huge.
Good plant: Any plant you want to grow! I would suggest squat plants with thin leaves

Get reading, get digging! Welcome :joint:

Last edited: