What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tropical Growing

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
So where do u live? Like up in the hillsides? Wat are the laws like down theere.

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
great green house pics chaman you have quite a few girl's in there. hey wally just out of curiosity how big of holes do you dig for them big girl's? im guessing 3x3 feet?

G

hey chaman,happy to see you,these pics are really nice and remenber the good ol' overgrow threads :eek:)
what the less mold pron indica you ever grow?

Last edited:
G

guest123

hey chaman , beautiful orchids and frogs , certainly must be a joy to live amonst such pleasantries ...
i found in our rainy season a cross of afghani and a local mango sativa did very well ,,no mould till very late , and stood up to all the wind etc , where others failed .. a few pics ...

G

nice wally,i think a good mold resist need a good sativa in it,when did you harvested this girls?

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Hello Chaman, i remember you from OG, good seeing you around.
i am sure if you check the spanish forums you will run into some familiar faces as well :D

great pictures, great plants, great climate! i live in similar conditions, 8.6 latitude. andes venezolanos. :joint: i am growing some colombians from colombian pressed commercial bud, they are growing strangely, i hope they get to grow better when i finish building my greenhouse... you are 100% right about indicas too. i grew a couple california organge bud plants and from germinations to harvest only 2 months and half elapsed! did not grow more than 30cm either. now i have a couple cali purples, also in flower already after 2 months and also 30cm long, a single cola as well.

i need to get batteries from my camera, to show you my plants and see if you can give me some advice :D

Jah Guides!
paz y salud.

Chaman

Befroe I loos the though, the great pic, Wally postd looking up the tree reminded me, that when i've started my Indicas like that...with bunch of variaties all next to each other, they all tend to want to streach in a race ! jeje nothing like to compete fo light, as when I grow an indica alone out in the open with prepared soil...jeje i will sprout, and just about imediatly go into flower. While the one grown with pots all bunches up next to each other might not have much branching but will have more nodes from where some buds will form from the streach.

Wally, I see you have a very larg plot my friend, jeje can just smell the breeze other those tops.....jeje wow, certianly seems like paradice.

Very nice genetics, it's great to have the right smoke for the rigth moment indeed.

To prepare soil is a good work out...but the more you sweat, the more your plants will return the favor, just remember that.

I liek to dig a good size whole, about 2 to 3 feet deep, but about 4 or 5 wide, and losse'n up soil around it some with a larg metal rod I have some too, then if its rain season I make mounds where my plants will go, it it's dry season i'll make it concave where my plant will go...one to run off water, the other to trap it.

I have very good soil as C.R is very volcanic, and almst covered in thnk rianforests, what isn't is farm land, and some small cities...and pueblos, jeje tallest building here isn't more then 12stories as we suffer hundreds of earthquakes a yr.

My family has plenty of farms, so I colect their fertilzer they make, they compost mts of horse, cow, caff, goats, chicken, ducks man even pigs too i think, that with dray straw, and sawdust amongst other things they compost this and realy do a great job recycle'n it as it's awesome food for plants indeed, it's powerfull to so a little goes a long way, I'v more then once dumbed this into my own worm pit to further compost, worms tned to nutralize the ph of things so it helps prevent burns but still keeps all the great stuff in there ! I genraly add one shovel of that too every 3 of soil, it larg plants and already devolped going into a trasplant i could almost due half and half but still use more soil. I toss alot od rice hauls or more shreded up hay in my holes also do help with drianage if needed. I burn alot of branches and leaves in my yard and mix that ash in too when it's handy, not much as been told that can be strong too, and aged guano from roo tops from older famliy homes. I make teas with them often which I perfer as to directly aply'n in soil as I can measure out a dosage better, in soil i'd not know how long it will takea plant to find it and use it, as when in tea it's about garanteed dose when I want it, or see its needed.

I've learn'n not to do the larg plots though jeje and stick to contianers unless I where to go guerillera someday. At home i can't deal with those monster results. (herd some people through dead fish in there holes to rott away...)

Ive never had Afghani pure, only in crosses the Sk ones always get hit...the Calima ones did well, the leafs got hit but buds where safe, jej was kinda cool. But my Cali indicas and Jamican hydrids are those that have done best in my worst seasons. Never bought any before...all have been gifted or trades and are "he said she said seeds" sooo not easy to say.

The Tom Hill crosses I resently startd i'm excited to see what happens as rain saeson will hit as they bud.

PazVerdeRadical,
Oye gracias !tendre que dar una vuelta por ahi de fijo...me hace falta Agg, Pato, Masco...pues son muchos en verdad.

I started with many bricks of dif Colombian my friend, and from those I worked out what i have today and shared around a bit here and there, My Gold, my Red, My Creepie, My RxG for the most part. I'd love to see your pics, so I hope you can find some batteries soon, my camera eats batery's so I know the feeling. If I can ever be of any help i'd love to try.

Jah guide.

T.doT.Toker,
I beleave I mentioned about Costa Rica is the contry, its in central america....anything that ends in america unfortunitly wants to copy the U.S laws, jeje this is why I say my wifes the real law... I live near where the cites end and the farms start, other side of the farms is where the jungles start. I'm at about 2000-2500 mts above sea level or so.

Blessed,
Chaman

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Chaman,
sounds like you have something nice going. y que siempre estamos en la lucha, tu sabes.

i have a question for you, how many hours of direct sun light are your plants getting?

thank you.

peace and health.

Chaman

Con todo gusto, I get light from about sunup which is 530-6am gets strong about 8am-1pm....then I'm shaded by the nieghbors wall I built my greenhouse agianst. Realy is sad, jeje since it's still mid day sun which is great till about 3 or 4pm, then the sun sets about 6pm or so...by 630 its dark.

Hope that answer'd your question, my greenhous plastic realy should be changed, but I am happy with the camolflauge it has made....can't see my plants through it. It's there is a big dif from out side and in side the greenhouse though.

Chaman

Sun goes over my house from east to west. My greenhouse faces East.

Last edited:
G

guest123

hey chaman ,, great mulch you use there by the sounds ,,, sawdust , manure and hay is the best combo ,,, once its going the worms do all the work for you , as you know .. i mainly try to encourage worms as much as i can , they airate , and fertalise as they go ,, great little workers ...
what i like about sawdust is it goes into the soil very easily and rots down fast ...

Chaman

I agree Wally, specialy when as nasty as it sounds has absorbed all sorts of animal urine as well, as they clean it off the floor from where pigs sleep, where thy have their cafs, and goats and all, the hay is for the horses and other larger animals stalls too, all this is cleans regulary then put out on these huge mounds they got under the sun, a few workers regualarly also shovel this about and mix it. When it rains they cover it with larg tarps...but they got all sorts of animals on the farms and have been doing this for a long time.

The older family homes have had bat problems in their roofs, where these bats have lived for many yrs jeje even almost can say generations ;) so this bat guano is also compostd in a way has those roofs get mega hot undr the Zinc. It's a fine powder of insect skeletons and prob fruit disgested...Love to make tea with this.

then I got lots of fish tanks that I clean reg.

The worms are th best !! love my worm box, all kitchen waste, and even some of my dog waste goes there ! then when I get a big ol sac of fertilizer from the farm I pass it through th worms slowly too, as you said it gives it a whole new feeling to the medium, and to nutralize the pH !! jeje man they are so awesome ! love my cali red worms indeed.

It's great to hear from you, hope all is well.
Chaman

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Saludos Chaman,

thank you for your answer, so you get around 7 hours of direct sun-light, and get those monster plants!! :woohoo: that gives me hope :D since now i am starting to make the blue-prints for a greenhouse, this one faces the south-west, and due to walls and tall houses near by, the sun gets blocked from sun-rise (6:45am) until 9:30am. then from 9:30am the sun shines strongly up to 4:30pm, also 7 hours of direct sun-light! the sun finally sets at around 7pm.

right now the plants are merely getting about 4 and a half hours of direct sun-light, from 12:30pm to 5pm, and not growing greatly, this i believe also made the colombians start flowering earlier than usual.

speaking of greenhouse roofs, i am going to use glass for the roof, security glass that is, if for some reason it breaks, it won't fall and just crack.
this also allows for maximum light to filter into the greenhouse, and it will last forever, it is a bit expensive, but it is a good investement, since you don't need to change it like if you were using plastics. the greenhouse won't have solid walls either, just a plastic net all around it. so let in as much ventilation as possible.
also, about the roof being very transparent, i don't worry about leo, i am not doing anything wrong, so it is all good :joint:

soon i will post some pics, i keep forgetting getting batteries.

peace, health and Jah Guides!

Chaman

jejeje I'm not doing anyhitng thing wrong.....jeje reminds me of when I saw the moive Half baked. "I don't due drugs, i just smoke Marijuana"

I would love to us glass...but i due have to be carefull as my neighbor likes to go on his roof for repairs and such maintence of his home, My lean too is right up agianst his house so if he stands on the edge of his roof and looks down, hes direcly over my greenhouse. I'm make'n plans to move it some, but he's always gona have a view...

I use shade screens on he sides overlaped of 75% and it lets all the air flow but no visibility at all.

My new greenhouse has lots of great tricks to it for the humitiy and for better sunlight it's going to have a slide'n roof. so I can open and close it manuely....in time a gargae door opener conected to a light sensor will due things for me...it gets cloudy, the roof closes, sun comes out, it will open. jejeje yeah thats when my wife lets me fork over a few hundred bucks on a good metal fram work and some decent plastic roofing.

The money is a prob cuase she wants a car...I need to fix mine, and jejej she wants to remodel the kitchen, so me and my toys got to wait a little while jeje

But to be realy honest...it would mean for me not to grow for a few weeks. THATS NOT EASY...to not have a plant while the workers put one together for me would be awefull.

Chaman

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
man, i have NO idea what the heck am i going to do with my plants when i start to build the greenhouse, there will come only one worker though, as i'm helping him personally with the construction, but he's the man who has the knowledge of building and the tools, he says it may take up to two weeks to get the job finished.
but during that time, i have no clue where to hide my plants... i was thinking of taking them out into the wild during this time. and the clones i'm rooting now will have to go on a small balcony hidden from outside view. um... i need to sort this out.

Chaman, how is your relationship with your neighbor? if you know him, you may probably be able to tell whether he could identify a pot plant and if he does what do you think he would do? maybe he's a toker himself??

one love. peace!

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Ok, i'm back with some pictures :D my girls are the ugly girls of the block (es lo que les digo a los hermanos del foro en español :D )
they are all from the colombian pressed bud that reaches venezuela. sometimes some very decent stuff finds it way over here. there's also a couple of cali purples, which have the same problems with the photo-periods and go really early into flowering.

colombians 4 and a half month old, they're a bit stressed, my guesses are because of the wind and not ideal soil, but i am working on bettering this for the next ladies.

colombians 4 and a half month old

colombians 4 and a half month old.

colombians 4 and a half month old

Cali Purple 2 and half months old, maybe in 2-3 more weeks it will be finished?

clones/cuttings of the colombians taken 4 days ago. got them pretty late i think, plants were already in flowering, but not sure since i was told these plants take forever to flower.

also, earlier this morning i went to the glass store, found out that you don't really need security glass to make the roof of a greenhouse as long as each section of the glass for the roof is cut in dimensions no larger than 70cm2. the less the better too. so there are some amazing glasses that allow lotsof sun in (more than plastic) and also prevent viewers from the outside to see clearly through it, they will see shapes of plants, but no detail. this type of glass is called 'miniboreal' or 'monoboreal'. this glass is whole lot cheaper too.
cheaper than plastic and better! more ecological too :d

Jah Guides.
paz.

redrider

Chaman its great to see you here on IC. You helped me alot on OG (thanks). I grow a little bit futher south than you (4 degrees N Colombia) and a little higher (2,700m) but everything you told me was true. Now I have some killer indicaxcolombian crosses, like you say the pure indica grows like one bud if not vegged inside alittle first. Thanks again and I look forward to reading more from you.
Peace

Chaman

9lives,
jeje thanks, and indeed the though has passed my mind many times as often i've been over loaded with buds, where much was lost to rotting away...

I've been see'n about putting this together actually, think it would be easier for me to use. My biggest prob for this method is to get the buds dry enough, but if I hang them in my attic they get nice and dry so i'd have to walk around a bit, and i'm sure the hosue will smell nice with such pulpery in the attic !

Reign of Terror,
Doing great thanks, I wish I had some pures going but only have a few mix's that are look'n great. Hope alls looking great in your garden also.

Redrider,
Thanks for make'n my day alot nicer, as it's always great to be of help, I hope this thread will be like my other Colombian thread at OG, as it was my growbible sorta say, so many great herbs man stoped in and gave their peace of mind, realy complemented so much to have other opoiones and expieriences from around the world. Please make your self home, and post anytime, be nicee too see your garden some time too get an idea.

Pazverde,
Mi amigo, la verdada es, jeje I mean the truthis my friend that I dislike my neighbor...before I had the 3mt high wall made I had a fence, where my dogs would bark at cows walk'n by and people etc...so this pecker would through rocks at my dogs, one day he didn't see I while i was sitt'n watch the sun set under a tree with a glass of wine and what was left o a nce jay...when I hear the ass scream 'n through'n rocks, i'd herd him before but never seen him. I'm a calm person but that realy got under my skin, I got up and said through just one more so you give me a reason to left my dogs out and defend them selfs properly from such an animal...by this time it's been months since we movedin and my dogs had learn'd to realy hate the guy, about a week later I had the wall built and no more problems, that was yrs ago but we have no comunication. I try to not smoke near his home, so that means no smoke'n in the greenhosue too, jejej but I light alot of fires so when I light a fire I take advantage and roll a fatty to smoke out with the laddies...got to be realy carefull, don't want to risk my family, or my wifes med licence.

Your plants look great, if they are th golds they should fill in and over the stem completely but won' be a fat cola, more like a long wonderfull cat tail.

I'd if you can transplant to a llarger pot so they finish well, that or feed in teas almost like a hydro plant but carefull as you can build up your salts and minerals...you'd have to flush out now and then. A transplant is still easy, you lay her on her side and roll her a little, this loosens her out nice an easy, jeje and doesn't get your buds dirty ;) If you leave her there water less, but frecuently with very mild nutes, and lush maybe every 5 feedins or so with doble your got size in warm water...(3gal pot would be 6 warm gallons to flush) do that nice and slow...its messy. Larger pot trasnplant is best, and your buds will burn better with out any chemical feedings !

I will look into the glass more, thanks for those details. Winds here are vicuous, maybe a glass thats like a bathroom side'n door you can't see more then the shape of a person in there even with your face up agianst the glass.

Your indicas look great, jeje but yeah thats the sad feeling... to know you will smoke it so fast and not enjoy her enough !

During that time, if you got an extra closet or bathroom you could st up some floros jsut to hold them out, the woods would be great but risk of loosing them, ore getting cought in the transfer.

Latest posts

Latest posts