What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Critique my essay: Medical Marijuana Movement, Rastafari Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
college essay, sociology final,

Cannabis: From Prohibition to Medical Marijuana Movement
The many uses of cannabis began long before DEA was busting down doors; many anthropologists believe the first woven fabric was hemp dated 7000-8000 B.C.. As our general public is beginning realize, there are many uses of cannabis besides rolling up a joint and laughing hysterically. After the boom of Haight and Ashbury our government realized the significance of cannabis; it had great value, was in high demand, and impossible tax and regulate. So history repeats itself and like many other items of value the leaders of our country immediately declared marijuana a dangerous “drug” and the prohibition war began. Today on a national scale the prohibition continues; though many states have adopted regulation policies in the interest of tax money, citizens are still arrested and prosecuted daily for non-violent marijuana related offenses. Like millions of other Americans I have felt the oppression and struggle due to unjust prohibition laws and corrupt corporate giants.
Gangs in America were created by prohibition, from hops to opium their fight with law enforcement lead to unnecessary violence and a new drug war. This drug war was fueled by propaganda, lies through the pigs in the media, creating a false need for outrageous amounts of law enforcement, corrupt government, and social inequality. Drugs, welfare, prison, guns, and robbery all products of system. Today the system is now controlled by billion dollar corporations with untouchable executives. As seen in the food industry these executives are now elected leaders controlling many regulatory branches of the government such as the FDA, EPA and Supreme Court. Companies like Monsanto(agricultural) make millions as people die from obesity, disease and pharmaceutical side effects. These heavy investors control how we live and create laws to protect themselves from liability.
In the 60‘s and 70‘s, during a period of social revolution Bob Marley and the Wailers planted a seed in the heart of a nation of mixed cultures. With the release of Exodus in 1977, reggae in America gained new attention. Artists like Bob Marley and Peter Tosh not only brought a revolutionary sound to America but the beginning of a culture led by oppression stricken revolutionaries sick of the the violence and corruption of the system. With the message of One Love, this revolutionary belief system called Rastafari movement was here to educate the youth and destroy the walls of lies. This idea of love and equality dug deep into a nation of economic instability, overdoses and cold wars. The One Love, One Blood theory not only sought peaceful change and freedom of religion but also demanded the power and distribution of wealth to the people.
These pro-choice ideas are very much alive today as the Reggae music scene continues to dominate California. Although groups like The Wailers have passed on their Rastafari movement lives on today in the foundations of the current Medical Marijuana Movement. Today artists like: the Marley brothers, Collie Buddz, Gentleman, Groundation, Jah Cure, Junior Reid, Midnite, Niyorah and Rebelution continue to send a message of change to the corrupt system of government. Reggae lyrics inspire the spiritual use of cannabis, destruction of unjust laws, and need for change. Today Rasta’s see modern western society similar to the corruption of ancient day Babylon. Artists like Junior Reid see the solution to this system of corruption to be a Rasta government built on principles of peace, love, and equal rights. The message of changing the system expresses the necessity of destruction to the walls of social inequality in our society. This message has gained attention in colleges today as the importance of cannabis and change is revealed.
This movement of medical marijuana began decades ago as the oppression increased in America. Immediately groups such as NORML emerged to fight the corruption and gain public awareness to the stupidity of prohibition. Leaders such as Jack Herer, author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes began to emerge ready to fight lies and corrupt judicial system. The oppression of Cannabis began its turn around in 1996 when Prop. 215 of California passed legalizing the use of medical marijuana to citizens. After decades of lies on T.V., arrests in the news for pot, Californians could finally light up in peace, at least we thought. Thirteen years later as our recession grows deeper the value of cannabis taxation seems more practical.
According to NORML, today the prohibition of Pot costs taxpayers more than $40 billion per year. Though education the oppression of this plant can no longer be controlled by fear and lies. Now in 2009, the MMJ movement is often the headline news. Our culture is done with the lies of big government. The climax of this social movement is unfolding all around us as more and more states adopt cannabis legalization policies similar to California. In many other countries such as Canada the importance of Cannabis is no longer a social movement, rather a way of life. Only until the government has created enough laws to regulate, tax and control 99% cannabis will it be legalized.
Here in California the topic of legalization seems very common, as public awareness is raised more and more people realize the stupidity of banning a plant older than the bible. According to a national poll conducted by the polling agency Angus Reid, the struggle of unjust laws of cannabis prohibition is now now felt by the majority of American Citizens. With 53% of Americans in favor of legalization the past lies of negative marijuana use seems to become a ironically laughing matter. If Michael Phelps can set Olympic swimming records and take bong rips, why can’t we all?
The once untouchable government of corrupt businessmen who control our nation are now losing money and need as many ways possible to take money from the citizens. So like alcohol the big hitters are stepping up to bat; armed with big wallets, the best lawyers and the supreme court in hand these corporate monsters come bleed us dry. Though the medical marijuana movement may end through taxation and legalization, the corporate pirates will continue to profit at our expense. Like Vampire’s they have come to suck our blood; through higher taxes and costs of living these elected leaders take money from the very people they are sworn to represent. These so called leaders continue to build Babylon’s walls of social inequality today. Only we can change the system.

J

JackTheGrower

Target is who? Example "Rolling up a joint and laughing" isn't always the case as with the organic I grow.. It's more like pure mello effect that lasts hours cleanly and clear minded,\

Perhaps the focus can be more generally applied such as "As our general public is beginning realize, there are many uses of cannabis besides cannabis as an intoxicant."

Just to offer some input.

too bad i already turned it in, i posted hoping others like you would read and make changes. as a medical patient i know many effects of cannabis i respect like pain killing, besides rolling up a joint and laughing which is really all chech and chong did. remember i am writing this to appeal to a college professor while also expressing opinion.

J

JackTheGrower

Is there a typical drinker? We had Red Skelton who made humor a way to focus on alcoholism, Does Cheech and Chong focus on substance? They are more a laugh at ourselves for the time, than like the mission Red Skelton was on IMO. Alcohol is more destructive than Cannabis and to equalize we have added prison to cannabis use. Now they both have the potential to ruin your life.

I liked the toke and laugh so don't get me wrong it's warm but also a soft sell to the opposition which I feel your aim was to.

Well I am sure you will get a good grade. Good luck.

Oh.. I just looked again..

The many uses of cannabis began long before DEA was busting down doors; many anthropologists believe the first woven fabric was hemp dated 7000-8000 B.C..

How does DEA flow with anthropologists? I've used the semicolon as a connector such as "in the town where I was born; lived a man who sailed the sea." I am passing through in the town to get to a man who. It's awkward when we add "many anthropologists believe."
Maybe think about "The many uses of cannabis began long before DEA was busting down doors; the use of cannabis dates back to woven hemp fabric anthropologists believe were made around 7000-8000 B.C.."
Again it is more direct and not a less direct inference. This also sets a solid foundation to express the utility to man that cannabis was and then you can move to how it is still one.

Also in this case DEA is not as good as spelling out it's name Drug Enforcement Agency. Less stigma to the reader. More official to your paper.

Last edited:

IWanaGetHiSoHi

A plant older than the bible? Ummm ... aren't most plants older than the bible? "Though education" should be Through education. This is the " cool sounding for the Internet " version right? Like Not the one you submitted to your prof. ... right?

J

JackTheGrower

A plant older than the bible? Ummm ... aren't most plants older than the bible? "Though education" should be Through education. This is the " cool sounding for the Internet " version right? Like Not the one you submitted to your prof. ... right?

God knew he wanted the best paper to print his Word on.. Ahem..

Besides we didn't get kicked out of Eden for smoking weed now did we?

lol yea i turned this one it, mind you this took me 3 hours and 2 grams of high grade.

Jack i like your introduction revision, i like the use of "dates back to ..."

obviously 99% of species of life are older than the bible, but to many brainwashed Americans still think its just a grass in bags like seen on cops, over-glorified or not its still just a plant.

J

JackTheGrower

lol yea i turned this one it, mind you this took me 3 hours and 2 grams of high grade.

Jack i like your introduction revision, i like the use of "dates back to ..."

obviously 99% of species of life are older than the bible, but to many brainwashed Americans still think its just a grass in bags like seen on cops, over-glorified or not its still just a plant.

We can't change others but we can change ourselves and in so doing we change the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.