What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horrible Medical Backfire with Schizophrenic

tetragrammaton

Veteran
In 2006, I became friends with someone I'd consider a very close friend. He was two years older than me, very popular in all aspects of society and was an incredible athlete who had scholarships for that and so many colleges wanted him.

Everything was normal. We became close because we both smoked, and he happened to be a dealer. Smoking with him was fine. He didn't act any different that should be expected. He was a really chill guy.

The first plant I ever saw in real life was his. I still remember it to this day. Not sure what it was, and it never got to finish as the landlord ordered it to be destroyed as he spotted it, but it had some of the broadest leaves I've seen to date. He inspired me to grow, but he didn't really know what he was doing, other than that he was gifted a seed from a well known grower who always grew nirvana genetics and outdoors it thrived but never made it to harvest season. It was his first plant as well. But as I stated, he didn't know what he was doing but it ignited the fuse for me to learn, and I joined some other forum that I believe is non-existant before realizing that icmag is simply the best, even though at times it has had it's dark periods, it's back to how it was and should be.

He moved away to attend a college pretty far away. It was saddening but oh well. Unfortunately during this time he ended up developing schizophrenia. I don't know the specific type but I know it's the kind that has it's onset around 18-21. I forget the terminology for schiphrenia in early adult onset, but I believe there is one. He ended up doing some really stupid shit such as getting naked, setting all of his clothes and belongings on fire in the middle of campus, tackled security guards, assaulted an officer, and gauged out his eye.

He went to jail, escaped, was quickly caught, and then put in a psych ward (sorry if it's not the politcally correct term these days, but i feel it's better than "the nuthouse").

When he got out after a few years, he was medicated and really different. I don't know what medication he was on, but the pre-schizo happy, energetic person was gone. He was like a zombie.

I guess he felt the same way and went off his meds and ended up with a delusion and ended up sexually and physically assaulting his mother, as well as gauging one of her eyes out. He went back to this psych ward type prison for around 5 years. When he got back, I had moved to my homeland and he contacted me via Facebook and Skype. By some sort of miracle his mom forgave him, as did his sister, as they know he has problems, and blamed family genetics on it. Most families would have probably disowned him, but he had a family that cared or tried to their best of abilities.

Well, after he got out, whatever medication he was on was working great. He was back to his old self. He was also a talented poet, and talented at rapping, which was one of his ambitions. He was staying with his wealthy father, and had everything going good. He then decided to start drinking his father's beer, which led to a QUICK downward spiral of him abandoning his medication, citing they slowed him down, and began drinking, being wreckless, smoking again, along with other drugs. His father had to go out of town for a week, and in that week he thought it would be a good idea to invite random people from the hood to stay there and not only destroy the house, but deal out of it. His father returned home to this, and he was quickly kicked out.

During this time he decided to purchase a bus ticket to California and planned on being homeless because "the weather is nice". He made a scene during the bus ride and was removed from the bus in Utah. So he was stuck in Utah and didn't know what to do, so he went to the courthouse and stuck a bandana or something that was dry into a car's gas tank, and ignited it. He went to prison for this again, and did close to 5 years again.

He got out towards the end of December 2019 and once again contacted me via Skype. Somehow he was in Pueblo, Colorado. When i asked him why he attempted to set a car on fire, he explained to me that he thought he was in a video game and that was the objective. He was heavily heavily medicated. It was seroquil. He was very clear minded though. His thoughts and words were very well spoken and he was very self aware, as well as remorseful for his past actions, and was very positive, as well as thankful, however he was talking very zombified. He was homeless, and living with an older guy who I guess took him in. I'm not sure of the arrangement they had, and it's really not my business, but I found it kind of weird, but I also thought it was awesome that a guy would take a stranger in, as well as encourage him, and take him out to restaurants and movies on a regular basis.

He would video call me until he realized it used his data. He expressed his desire to smoke, and he told me that his parole officer told him that if he has a medical card, he can smoke on parole in Colorado without issue. Recreationaly, he would fail, and go back to jail. He told me that I was better at getting information and asked me to help him figure out where to go and what he needed to bring in order to get his card. He decided that he would rather be on MMJ than on his seroquil.

A quick google search of MMJ doctors in his area, I found a Dr. with two locations. One in Boulder and one in Pueblo. I provided him with the phone number of both offices, as well as copied and pasted the text, and all of the positive reviews of said Dr. and his clinics. He could have done this all himself, but he didn't have wifi, nor a computer, and I guess knew that I can get things done quick.

He was using a government provided phone that he referred to as an "Obama phone" which is actually just part of a package that most prisoners receive when they get out and have nothing. Our method of communication then became text. He informed me that he had an appointment the following day, and I asked him how it went, and he said great, and that he got his card. He still hadn't purchased any MMJ or concentrates, edibles or whatever he ended up buying, as he was then looking for dispensaries.

That was the last day I heard from him. I am very close to his sister. We were enemies throughout our school years, but became friends after highshool and still remain friends now both 30. I was informed that he got some weed (what strain I don't know, nor would his sister know, as she lives in Indiana and he was in Colorado, and I don't have the contact information of the person he was staying with). I don't know if he got weed, edibles, pre-rolls, concentrates, all of the above, or what. But I was informed that he lost his shit. He started having delusions and talking all crazy, and ultimately got kicked out of the place he was living. This happened about a week ago, and I haven't heard from him since. As far as his sister and I know, he is homeless at best. Without his meds he is very dangerous and delusional.

A part of me feels guilt for helping him in the process of obtaining his MMJ card, but as I said, I consider him a friend and look past the actions that he did when he wasn't on his medication. I see the true him, and remember the good times, so I wanted to help him out. If it wasn't for him, I might never have considered the idea of growing. Seeing a plant in real life for the first time was something I'll never forget. So obviously, I helped him to the best of my abilities, and it worked but apparently it backfired and whatever he smoked or ate triggered an episode.

What is the cause of this?

I realize that while I helped him get his card, I am not responsible, because I had no idea that he would have a negative reaction. He also hasn't smoked in around 10 years so perhaps he just got super high?

With that said, while I realize I'm not at fault for helping him get his MMJ card, as I am an advocate for MMJ, I am now wondering if I was wrong in forgetting to tell him that there is now CBD flower with no THC that perhaps might have been much better for him?

Obviously I feel guilt, and I hope he is okay, but unfortunately his sister isn't concerned, she told me there's only too many times you can try to help someone, and that alledgedly he knew weed makes him think weird, and shouldn't have went and got his card. She does not blame me luckily. Unfortuantely his father gave up on him completely, and his mother is ill and his stepfather is dying of stage 4 cancer so he has no support whatsoever.

If he is hopefully safe, but simply unable to charge his phone, and hopefully isn't in jail, and contacts me when able, what is a good strain either with THC, or without, that seems to be good for patients with schizophrenia? Or is this a disorder to where cannabis with THC should be avoided and only CBD? I don't know much about schizophrenia, but I just want my friend to be able to be himself and feel okay. Even when the medicine works and he is his old self, he hates the way the medication makes him feel and always goes off of it. :/

Peace and Love,
Tetra

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Some people just have a compulsive mentality - but not a solid enough mentality to actually be compulsive -

Before you travel anywhere - you had best check that the vehicle is sound - or you might break down on the way -

You cannot be held responsible for the bad choices of others - but you can sympathize - especially if you have experience -

tetragrammaton

Veteran
So should people with such disorders avoid cannabis all together? Or would a CBD strain be more beneficial to them with below 1% THC?

You are right Gypsy, some people make horrible choices and can't be saved, but I try to see the best in people and look past their past and see them for who they truly are. I knew this guy before he was sick, and hate seeing him like a zombie on the pharmacuticals. I was hoping that mmj would help him naturally, but perhaps I was wrong with him.

Again, I have no clue how much he smoked/injested or what variety, I just know he lost it and can't be reached and according to his sister who obviously knows him better than me, ever since he developed his schizophrenia, weed sets him off and he should have known better. Sad...

T

Teddybrae

Words of Wonder, words of Whether ...

Repeat after me: I am Loveable, Beautiful AND Worthwhile ... before, during and after my association with Old Friend.

LOUDER: I AM LOVEABLE, BEAUTIFUL AND WORTHWHILE BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER MY ASSOCIATION WITH Old Friend.

Be here now ...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My Dad was a Schizophrenic - so I am well acquainted with this mental ailment -

Sanity or mental wellbeing is not something that is given or known to some people - they have to go out and find it - and quite often they get lost on the way -

With a frail mind - that does not know itself well already - I would not recommend playing with mind altering substances - since you could lose finding sanity - and go completely off the rails - which I have seen happen more than thrice -

Sobriety is the best cure - until you feel strong and confident enough within your own mind to get 'high' again - knowing that you have a secure sanity waypoint - to start from - and can easily return to it -

Urban_Legends

Seedbay Vendor
ICMag Donor
Hi there,

Sorry for your friend .

May I add that nothing is fixed ?

A point to take in consideration is that those kind of heavy chemicals need few months to go out the body .

Some people are given a med injection with an effect lasting for the month.

Those people need a straight sane life . More "straight" & "squared" than anybody else . Regular rests, good food, regular meals, sport, friends . Not marijuana then alcohol , then cocaïne ...
And TV is a poison like another .

From psychiatrist POV, alcohol is a dirty drug because it s not acting on specific brain receptors but it soots all brain receptors .
:crazy:

The good part in schizo buying weed is all the social side and regularity, not really the weed itself .
I know a talentuous schizo painter, he smokes less THC since he had CBD vaping . But he's a tornado on crisis ... Yelling "allahu ackbar" till he breaks his voice ... Quite strange for a white blue eyed guy .

In schizophrenic people urin you will already find traces of bufotenin . A powerfull hallucinogenic .

Just few knowledges about it .

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

Having a psychiatric disorder and not finding the specific medical plant that works for him before use can be dangerous..some bud can cauz temporary mild dissociative disorder if not head strong and not a heavy smoker seems to be wats happened..it can be triggered by many things especially if your already at high risk..I wouldn't blame the weed as this was already in him..but if he wants to medicate with cannabis he's gona have to do it with a lot of help from people who know wat ther doing an in a controled situation...and is gona have to find that specific type that works for him..I had a friend this happened to..he seems to be much better now.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Sorry for your friend tetra, schizophrenia can be real nasty :(

Be aware though, trying to help someone suffering from some ailment (physical or mental) can be a tricky path, one that, most of the time, is best to avoid unless you're a professional. The trails of Hell are paved with good intention, aren't they...

Schizophrenia and cannabis do not mix well, at all. As mentionned by Urban Legends, the only positive effect that have been noticed is that it allows the ill person to socialize (when going out to buy), otherwise it's better to stay clear of it (although I can't say if it's the same for strains containing only cbd and no thc at all).

Irie!

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
News flash!

There is empirical data that [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]schizophrenics benefit from nicotine. Studies show that doctors discovered this accidentally when their patients meds were no longer effective etc... In all cases they had quit smoking. Not that, that is a bad thing, but they were no longer getting their nic. I don't promote vaping but for those who can't quit smoking (I am one of those) vaping might be of some help.
[/FONT]

Bobby Boucher

That mists me up a bit.

My favorite uncle was a schizophrenic.

He would sit on the stoop, and neatly spend and stack 20 cigarettes and 20 matches into 2 separate little piles on either side of him. Then he would storm out to beg for smokes or change to repeat his little ritual.

I always figured it was just from having the needs of his addiction met, but thinking back.. he did seem a lot saner on his stoop.. save for the crazy piles of butts and matches.

What can you say? lol. Trying to rationalize the irrational is a recipe for a headache, and theres no bigger waste of time than remorse.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
yeah you can't really do much than try to assure him that he can't use any kind of drugs for long time - or even ever anymore

one of my friend started to tripping out when his personal things wen't to bad situtation in teenage world. worst experience which started his first delusions was magic mushrooms. he drinked a lot and smoked much more aswell. no one actually cared about him because we everyone else had our own problems in this life. when he called to my phone i just accepted that he can join to my place. that was my only way to help but later my own psyche started to suffer and i had to break that friendship. it's small city so i have seen him couple of times after and if we somehow see others again i will chat and listen of course.

there is much more crisis and drama in my life that i can't write everything in here because it drives me back to deep dark side of my mind. sometimes i do it but i think it's better to stay quiet and try to live forward and be happy. it is not easy but it is not hard neither because it is just life.

peace for everyone and try to help each other that much you can without destroying your own health. love you all. good night.

thailer

i am just curious but did your friend talk about how he was treated in the pysch hospital? are they treated badly? theres a hospital here called Western State that several audits have found patients were being abused. many of them jump from windows or escape and I'm wondering if its truly due to their mental health problems or if the pysch hospital is treating them so poorly because nobody will believe the patients.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
i am just curious but did your friend talk about how he was treated in the pysch hospital? are they treated badly? theres a hospital here called Western State that several audits have found patients were being abused. many of them jump from windows or escape and I'm wondering if its truly due to their mental health problems or if the pysch hospital is treating them so poorly because nobody will believe the patients.

Shit man regular hospital staff treat us like we dont matter and are all dipshit know nothings.

tetragrammaton

Veteran

He made no mention of being mistreated, in either time. I think the last one was regular prison, but when he got out of the psych prison, he just talked about how they gave him his medication, and he spent the majority of his time writing poetry and rap lyrics, as well as reflecting on what landed him there. I'm not saying abuse doesn't happen in mental hospitals, or regular hospitals, as it clearly does, but in his particular case he didn't mention being abused or mistreated, which I think would be something he would have mentioned to me. He spoke positively about his cell mates, and apart from being in prison unable to live in the free world, he stayed active as far as being creative.

With that said, when he got out both occasions he was heavily medicated. The first time he got out, he was on monthly injections. When he recently got out towards the middle/end of December, he was on Seroquil and nothing else. I'm not sure of the mg he was taking.

I hope that answers your question.

As far as my friend, I still haven't heard from him, and based on history, everytime he ends up off his meds and homeless, he finds himself in trouble, so I am quite concerned, but there is nothing I can do, nor his family can do.

I hope he is well, but I doubt it. I don't believe he is in jail at the moment, because when that happens he usually calls his sister, who will relay the message to me, but she hasn't gotten any phone call or message either.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - its often what feels like a thankless and repetitive task to try and help a friend so afflicted - and most everyone has known someone with a mental illness - or has experienced mental problems themselves - mental problems can seem to be almost contagious diseases by many - so they usually give a wide-berth to anyone who they think might be that way inclined -

But when its a friend or loved one - you find it very difficult just to walk away - because you have a duty of care - to help a buddy - and so you do -

thailer

if you want to search for your friend, google "inmate search (your state)" and the dept of corrections will have a link to search. all inmates are public record on the state website unless they are in tribal jail on a native american reservation. depending on how it's set up, it should be pretty easy to find him and it will even give you his inmate ID number/DOC# and you can find the address to write him. i'm sure he would like a penpal while in jail, if he is there.

therevverend

Veteran
I've already told my story, instead of repeating it here's a link.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8477788&postcount=17

I've smoked pot a couple of times with him since he got on the medication. It was fun, it didn't cause him to freak out. I need to see him, I hear he's doing good, living on a boat.

It's hard to say whether the pot was the catalyst, most of the time when a schizophrenic has an episode it's because they stopped taking their meds. There's a chance the pot trip convinced him it was a good idea. Or he stopped taking them before he got high and he was already on his way to getting fucked up. Of course there's some schizophrenics that should never smoke pot. His prior drug addiction may be a factor, it's possible he went from pot to some meth or a rock. I've known addicts who can't stop at a joint or a beer, once they start to slide that's it.

You shouldn't feel guilty about helping your friend find a dispensary. He was in Colorado, cannabis is legal there. Dispensaries are everywhere, he could walk down a few blocks and find one. Or ask someone. It's too bad you had to be the one to help him, schizophrenia is very hard on family and friends. Guilt is inevitable and it sucks. I'm glad you're friends with the sister and can offer each other support. I hope you find your friend and I hope he gets back on his meds and manages his disease.

theres a hospital here called Western State that several audits have found patients were being abused

Yeah Western State is a sketchy place. When my friend first lost it I visited him there. They treated him fine, he didn't like it there but he wasn't abused. I think the people that had a really hard time at Western were the ones that couldn't take care of themselves. The elderly especially. Locked up and left to rot and get abused by nurses. They also had problems with dangerous patients escaping. A big problem at that place is that it's chronically understaffed and short on funds. Gypsy makes a good point about how people shun the mentally ill. It's almost a reflex. It sucks but it's typical of our society where the people who need the most help are ignored at best and persecuted and exploited when times get tough.

E

ESTERCHASER

watching my older brother rollar coaster on haldol injections IS A REAL THING for me, its been 26 yrs now. I realize they medical establishment does not really have a good way of helping some schizaphrenic patients. He get gets efficacy from cannabis in SMALL controlled doses, not on his impulsive need schedule. I think its horrid the way psychiatrict patients will chain smoke cigarettes the way they do either for the meds or preexisiting condition they suffer from. With the technology we have in our world...they are THE LAST who's need should go undealt with by the highest tech available to improve quality of life for them and the societies they choose to call home.

CannaZen

I were diagnosed with schizophrenia cause i told them i were hearing thoughts really emotional about the neighbors thoughts, i compare cannabis consumption to inhaling resin oxidates. It is healthy only condensed space matter. thick combustion smoke causes paranoia but vape helps me breathing very much. It is oxygen rich resin.

Basically i made up memories for myself to feel any better, occams razor. somehow the hidden world seems more real to me because my world makes sense.

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I study neuroscience, psychology and medicine extensively.

Root cause of brain and psychological issues are poor nutrition and inadequate sleep during pregnancy and early brain development after birth. Or from traumatic brain injury with bad lifestyle choices (inadequate sleep and nutrition) as the person ages accelerating the deterioration from either cause. We are deteriorating as we age and can only slow the process with healthy lifestyle approaches. Really no way to repair a degenerating/degenerated brain with holes in critical parts, missing parts altogether or abundant amyloid beta protien plague buildup. So pharmaceutical companies give them powerful sedatives in attempt to make them docile.

Sleep disorders and psychological disorders are hand in hand.

Latest posts

Latest posts