What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat users

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
id make yourself a drip system like "picos drip system" or something of the like.

blumats are quite the headache. i know there are guys/gals on here that love them, but they have had enough time (and patience) to dick around with them and find what works.

who wants rez's hanging from the cieling for counter balance to keep constant pressure in the lines? alot of people have to do weird things with them to get them to work just right.

i got caught up in the "blumat hype" when they first came out. now they just collect dust. pvc or ?viynl? drip systems are the way to go, but thats just my opinion.

good luck with those blumats

F

Funion

@ farmdalefurr: Craigslist your blumats. There is someone near you that can put them to good use.

@ Shhh: Airpots are the only way to go! I use a 1/2 inch drill bit for my bulkhead. I also wrap the threads of the bulkhead with that silicon tape plumbers use. That with the washer on the inside of the res should keep drips at bay. Don't tighten the bulkhead to much as it may crack the plastic of your res.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Cheers for the luck farmdalefurr, I hear wjat your saying mate.... I have run many drip systems that have worked out well, but noise is an issue here and as you'll know drippers and pumps make quite a bit of noise.

Hanging rez from roof sounds like a royal pain in the ass! The website say for every 5m (roughly 16.6') the rez should be 0.5m (roughly 1.67') higher. It seems that blumats are like marmite in that lots like em and lots do not.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
blumats are quite the headache. i know there are guys/gals on here that love them, but they have had enough time (and patience) to dick around with them and find what works.

who wants rez's hanging from the cieling for counter balance to keep constant pressure in the lines? alot of people have to do weird things with them to get them to work just right.

You hardly have to have the res hanging from the ceiling, unless the top of your medium is also near the ceiling. As long as the bottom of the res is above the drippers, you should be fine. They're really not that hard to get dialed in. You still need to keep an eye on them, but they're pretty easy to get set to where you want them.

D

draco

all this trouble with the blumats? maybe i'm doing something wrong because they work well for me. :dunno:

311devon

i've been thinking about going to blumats in my vert grow. I can seem to find many places in the US that sell them. Planet earth hydroponics and HomeHarvest seem to be the only US retailers that i can find. I dont have experience with either of them. Anybody know any other place selling blumats?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been thinking about going to blumats in my vert grow. I can seem to find many places in the US that sell them. Planet earth hydroponics and HomeHarvest seem to be the only US retailers that i can find. I dont have experience with either of them. Anybody know any other place selling blumats?

I've had good luck with Planet Earth, and they will combine the shipping on their "fixed rates" for the smaller misc. parts. Their price and free shipping on the patio kit are the best that I've found. Way to Grow (link below) were very pleasant people, but.....

http://www.planetearthhydro.com/products/Tropf-Blumat-Self%2dWatering-System.html

http://waytogrow.net/store/category/5/123/Drip-Irrigation/page2.html

D

DHF

Sustainablevillage.com sells the reg size blumats for 50@$200 and the maxi`s for 6 bucks a piece....

The deck and patio kit with 12 cones and all tubing/fittings is $70 bucks...

Regardless of negative feedback and the lack of patience to dial in the moisture level , these things work with coco like to the 10th degree once figured out....

Good luck...DHF.....:ying:....

Herborizer

Veteran
Blumats and coco the best thing that ever happend to my garden. Drip clean from clone to last two weeks flush.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Can you guys that have no problems share your waters EC reading with us... I'm wondering if higher EC as a starting point has any ill effects on the lines- blockages, calcification etc.

Good posts btw :)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Blumats are getting set up today.... I know... I know procrastination :D

Have rez set up and tank connector in, just need to plumb the blumats in and set them up... I fed my plants until they got a good run off yesterday and will use the blumats once set up today to feed them with just straight water as run of EC was a bit higher than in put due to hand watering and not getting enough run off... so this is like 24 hrs later as rives posted on the 1st page (leave for plants 24-36 hrs after soaking) but as whezdig interjected rives runs soil and in coco the drip needs to be set to occur every 4 secs so this is what I'm aiming for.

The connector that came with my kit required a 11mm drill bit for the hole. Then it screwed through with a tight fit, I wrapped the connector with plumbers tape to try ensure a good seal but will get some clear silicone on it asap ftw.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hey guys,

I haven't set the blumats up yet... They're soaking in water for 24hours, after filling up the cones.

I was wondering though... My plants (11 of them) are lined up in my 2.4m x 1.2m tent as below-

x x x
x x x
x x x
x x

Is it OK to put the main line in from rez through one of the tents low openings, running down to the last plant in the row. Then bend it and run it back up the next row of plants.... finally bending again to run back to other end where the endstop will be put in... So the line would be in a kinda 'S' shape up and down the rows of plants?

I ask as I read that the T's the feed line fits onto need to be spaced 25cm apart and I need three drippers per row (except for the last row of 2).

WasntMe

blumats are great!
All go my plants are on Blumats now, even my veggies. House plants like spider plants and orchids are using Blumat jrs too.
You need to be able to read an instruction booklet and follow the directions. If you are too impatient to follow directions then don't both ... or sell yours to me. If you can follow the directions exactly the way they are written then you might find that going on vacation for a week or two is no big deal anymore. I've been on 4 vacations since I started using mine. Between the Blumats and the LED lights I have no worries and sleep like a baby while in the Caribbean. :)

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
blumats are great!
All go my plants are on Blumats now, even my veggies. House plants like spider plants and orchids are using Blumat jrs too.
You need to be able to read an instruction booklet and follow the directions. If you are too impatient to follow directions then don't both ... or sell yours to me. If you can follow the directions exactly the way they are written then you might find that going on vacation for a week or two is no big deal anymore. I've been on 4 vacations since I started using mine. Between the Blumats and the LED lights I have no worries and sleep like a baby while in the Caribbean. :)

What the heck you say? Growing is my vacation.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Got the blumats set up and apart from me not tightening them all properly before filling the rez, result= 3 plants that are OK until tomorrow water wise and about 2 L of juice on the tent floor :D heehee! They work remarkably well.... So far anyway!

I set the bigger tube in an 'S' shape around the plants and that worked fine, only problem I had was that some of the dripper line is either too long as when, as when it sits on the coco it stops dripping or the line needs to be raised on stakes. I think I may have cut the dripper line too long but will fiddle around with it tomorrow.

Here's what the blumats are feeding...

Nightmare Kush Aka The White x Killer Queen :joint: smells great, some Nighmare Kush S2's and Some of Heath Robinson's 'V3' 2 pheno's.

Anybody else have an issue with drippers not dripping when the drip line is laying on coco?

Couple pics of the girls...