What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow

thedudefresco

Update (Late Flower)

Update (Late Flower)

almost there guys

Attachments

• Zamaldelica Late Flower.jpg
    Zamaldelica Late Flower.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 44

thedudefresco

Thx Carlos!!

And whassup everyone. Have an update.

Its been super windy and dry (low humidity.) I've noticed some bud clusters have what appears to be caterpillar damaage, but no signs of mold, poop, or caterpillars.

I suspect it is either wind damage (parts of bud broken from wind and they dry out and die), or possible dessication from low humidity. No idea.

That being said, I removed every branch where I found this visible damage out of an abundance of caution. I've experienced loss due to botrytis before and don't wanna press my luck.

Since I harvested some of this plant, I am considering that my "early harvest."

I think I am going to harvest a little bit more in a few days, and then let some more go past the election, which will be my "late harvest"

This way I will get some insight into this strain should I decide to grow her again someday.

Photos show a bud, the whole plant, and a branch harvested which displays a characteristic branching found on the other branches of this plant.

Attachments

• IMG_0821 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0821 - Copy.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0772 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0772 - Copy.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
  • View recent photos (2) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    View recent photos (2) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 37

thedudefresco

More insight gained from this grow concerns the dangers of "supercropping" or bending branches.

Due to quarantine, I have been a lazy p.o.s hyperfocused on my grow.

I saw an article about making hemp rope, and lol, I decided to split some of my harvested stems while wet in an effort to experiment with what else this plant may be used for.

When I split the branches post chop, within some of them I found these orange larvae roughly the size of maggots.

They were alive and wriggling about. I suspect them to be stem borers, and they were only found on branches that had been roughly supercropped.

I believe damage to the outer skin layer of the branch provides an excellent home for momma stem borer to lay her eggs, which are probably rather protected from any topical sprays such as BT which would destroy eggs laid on the outsides of the plant.

That being said, I didn't find many. But it definitely made me think a bit.

thedudefresco

Ended up taking most of the plant down the day following the previous post.

Was finding more brown spots.

I have a few branches still growing just for kicks, but I would deem this grow as having ended with a bit of disappointment simply because I had to harvest due to environmental issues rather than with the luxury of being able to stagger it like I wanted.

I don't know what caused the brown parts. I found some scales inside portions of the trunk which had some cracks, but I'm not sure if this would explain much.

Still no visible signs of mold. Not even the faintest fuzziness. but the portions of the buds themselves are crispy and desiccated in the same manner as they would be with budrot.

Crumbly, but no fuzz. The petioles on affected leaves seemed to pull off with parts of the stems they were attached to, which I simply think is probably soem sort of disease.

Maybe root rot, but I don't know how I could confirm this. The part of the plant still growing isnt affected with this issue, as far as I can tell.

thedudefresco

So here's the portion I have still going.

Lmao

Attachments

• IMG_0867 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0867 - Copy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0869 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0869 - Copy.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0870 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0870 - Copy.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0875 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0875 - Copy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0878 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0878 - Copy.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 51

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Damn shame about the critters. Your plant went from drop dead gorgeous sitting there in the keg-pot on the patio, to Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!

thedudefresco

Damn shame about the critters. Your plant went from drop dead gorgeous sitting there in the keg-pot on the patio, to Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!

Yessir!

Still not sure about what caused the brown spots. I would say I threw around 10-15 grams but that the stuff I have harvested seems pristine.

Just wanted to let them go a bit longer.

Charlie Brown Christmas Tree indeed hahahha. Buds look alright though. I've broken all stems and even shoved some toothpicks in and am lettin her freak out for a few days before I pull the last bit.

Maybe it will be stronger.

Still waiting for what I harvested yet to dry, but I did some testers and seems decent to me. I have a high tolerance though,

Will definitely keep you guys updated with some pics after I have the nugs processed etc.

Smoke report too if you guys want.

thedudefresco

So it turns out the bud damage was, most likely caterpillars.

This is strange, because i religiously use BT, but I found some poo finally in one of the areas and that about settles the debate for me.

I have heard from a friend who grew this strain that it attracted caterpillars. Since I have been using BT, the damage is very little.

Rough estimate about 2 good lbs yielded from this grow, with about another 2-300 grams of larf.

After drying I separated the buds into 4 bins. top nugs (around 400 g) mid sized nugs (300g) and smalls (350g)

I will upload bud shots soon. Most the crop is in containers with the last bit finishing up drying.

I experimented with wet, dry trim and found my preferred method for this strain is a fan leaf trim after a few days of drying, followed by bagging and twist tightly for a few hrs, and then slow drying it out in the air again for another 5-6 days, then full manicure, and jarring.

The initial trim and bagging gently compresses the sativa bud structure's whispey leaves and makes the end nugget more pleasing in appearance.

There's also a specific way I trim these: i slightly push in with the scissor blades around the fluffier nugs and this helps shape them too.

They have come out nice. Scent is unique and lemony after the dry, and the moister nugs cured with a cheesier scent that is much more classically weed like.

Jarred buds in camp 1 were dried longer and threw RH numbers in the 50's after being jarred for a few days.

Jarred buds in camp 2 are curing moister, with RH at 62.

In the past, I prefer to dry sativas a bit more than my indicas. This is part due to happenstance, because longer finishing sativas are chopped when its cool at night in my climate, and much easier to dry "low and slow." I believe that with lemony or floral scented strains, a longer and slower dry preserves the top notes better than a danker dry with higher RH during the cure.

thedudefresco

This grow turned out nice. I got my phone soaked in water shortly after and lost all my pics :( so I'm glad I posted here haha! I think I got about 2 lbs and some change from this grow.

There was a noticeable difference between top nug density and and some of the lower branches nug density which were considerably leafier.

I wouldn't lollipop as much as I did, since I think some of the tops would have produced more.

I did pollinate this plant and am growing that progeny this season. I have a journal of that here: https://www.icmag.com/threads/zamaldelica-x-tuna-god-potting-up-and-to-be-continued.18127141/

I'm curious to see if the progeny takes as long to flower as this one did. The Father plant is supposed to be early finishing, and have a denser nug structure than the Zammie. We shall see.