What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1989 NL 5

D

DryNobBob

any info on this one, I see some peeps pushing it, if its clone only, who made seeds and how exactly? I see noof's cut is the one to get or have, but other than that, can't find any info, thanks.

D

DryNobBob

I think Brutha Bodhi made some, they are being marketed like somebody made some f2's. If I knew for sure they originally came from Bodhi, I'd take em in a minute. From all other research I've seen, LMFAO, the 89 was added because Shanti and Neville claimed the parents to 5 was lost in 90 or so the research says. Many claim it was straight up indica and also seeing reports of hermi prone on the hybrids that were made after 90. Someone also said it was the mom or dad of Ortega, Im still researching. What I have found out is that I don't think what I was offered is the real deal NL5, lol.

I would love to show an example of legitimate Northern Lights #5 come soon, it's an extremely unique plant and impossible to ID if it's the real thing - same with it's unique terpene profile (yes BasementGrower). It's a really tight stout plant that wouldn't survive in the wild without human interaction, extremely thick and broad leaves with almost lettuce like foliage, and production so dense you have to be on your toes or the grey plague will take you.

I'm not sure of the year, but that is one of my mentor's stables (along with Qwerkle, a very nice blueberry cut, Headcheese) so I'm pretty familiar with it. He's had it shy of a decade and his partner brought it down from contacts in Seattle who got it from amsterdam and have been hoarding it. When I get a new phone/new camera I'll bump this thread. Also I'm not certain of Ortega but I have also heard NL5 is a parent, RedEyedAndReady is doing historical things with a really nice Ortega stud; I'll give my left nut for money when that guy's gear drops.

Does anyone else have NL5?

vapedg13

Veteran
reminds me of the pre98 bubba's structure and growth rate.... my cut to nl had her for yrs... dense growing short bushy plant

002-63.jpg

............................Defoliated flowered nl.... right before harvest

IMG_2066.jpg

vapedg13

Veteran
All together, there is more than only one original Northern Light line:

* NL #1: Is definitely an Afghani type indica inbred line.

* NL #2: Is a mystery, probably a mostly indica one.

* NL #5: Is the famous clone-only by Neville. The lineage is unknown - some people say its a Thai x Indica, than backcrossed to the Indica - but this is only pure speculation!

Northern Lights »»» Afghanistan Indica Probably

negative37dBA

Veteran
I believe this to be true and have not seen ANYTHING resembling NL in 15+ years....so anyone claiming to have Northern Lights....is a fake and liar...

peace
Chefboy

So just because YOU do not know about it, it does not exist. You live in a funny world if you believe you know where all the NL genetics are or have dissapeared to. How many stealth growers out there have kept a cut for many years. Passed it on to others and so on. There very well could be NL genetics floating around. Its a strange world and you do not know it all.

D

DryNobBob

I get your point, but to be brutally honest, if they ain't gonna keep something like Chemdawg under wraps and hoarded, they ain't gonna keep NL that way either, especially once someone figured out you could make some money off cuts or beans. IMHO And to be honest, the research says everything besides #1 is a hybrid, #5 being the closest representation. I just figgered it was understood there's a million NL's and hybrids out there, especially made from 1990 on, its them 1989's that might just be the gem, you never know:tiphat:Like playin with a jigsaw puzzle

So just because YOU do not know about it, it does not exist. You live in a funny world if you believe you know where all the NL genetics are or have dissapeared to. How many stealth growers out there have kept a cut for many years. Passed it on to others and so on. There very well could be NL genetics floating around. Its a strange world and you do not know it all.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran

Ok buddy. yea your right...there are a handful of growers with cuts from back in 1989.....question is do you know any???

HAHA DOUBT IT

peace
Chefboy

negative37dBA

Veteran
Ok buddy. yea your right...there are a handful of growers with cuts from back in 1989.....question is do you know any???

HAHA DOUBT IT

peace
Chefboy

Well heres a little true story. I used to get lots of 1/2LBS back in the day. Just outta high school and thought I was the shit knowing where all the killer was. Guy I used to get from always had the NL. He knew the growers. Now I do not know if it was the #5 or not, but it was nearly white from crystal content, extremely low red hair count and would stick to a wall if you pressed it there. We just called it "the white" back then. Names were not such a big deal. This was in the late 80's. Hookup lasted about 4 years.
Now I came from the Seattle area where NL was perfected. Around '83 if memory serves me right. I knew some guys who ran very large grows of it long before "Medical" was even a term. Also grew nothing but NL.
I would plow through those bags looking for seeds constantly before turning them over. I found a few over the years. I kept them all.
I grew several of those out over the years and they were great to just so so. I just popped my last seed earlier this year from those finds. It turned out to be a female. I am vegging her now and will run it next go around. Not saying its the true NL but there are lots of stories of similar actions. Cuts get passed around and kept for long periods if they are worthy...this one was.
No, I do not know anyone with a direct cut but seed form is one way to preserve some of the genetics.

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Here is a picture from just a couple days ago of the NL that I speak of and ChemD that I am vegging for my next round. I will have a grow diary of that. Will probably start in about 5 weeks when the SSG's and Afgooey is done. Of course Nl on the left.
picture.php

So sad when that partnership ended.....strippers, jealous girlfriends and dumb potheads ruined everything and also put a couple people in jail.

Last edited:

Melvan

My 1989 NL 5 that is currently being auctioned at the Seed Depot are F3s on my end, but it was obviously a worked line already. They were made from seed provided from the original stock of '89 NL 5 that were never released due to the breeder's incarceration. They cannot be called Sensi as they never made it to the that year's catalog.

They did not come from bodhi or maddfarmer, although the female clone they have was mother to my seed, but that clone was donated to them from a mutual friend we all share. I chose to take the seed, not the clone, for the specific purpose of hunting a male to preserve the seed. I still have the male and am planning F4 BX1 for regular release sometime in the next year.

I don't hang here, but I will pop in to check this thread. Please feel free to ask me any questions you like, other than who handed me the seeds because I am not allowed to share that.

And, here's some pics for you. If you're old enough to remember her, then you recognize her. I am very excited to have the opportunity to reintroduce this girl to the breeding pool, which is why I specifically put 15 in the auction packs, so that others can work with her and get her stable genetic back in the pool.

Attachments

• 89 NL 5 day 31.jpg
    89 NL 5 day 31.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 89 NL 5 day 45 (2).jpg
    89 NL 5 day 45 (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 112
  • 89 NL 5 day 45 (3).jpg
    89 NL 5 day 45 (3).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 1989 NL 5 day 43 (5).jpg
    1989 NL 5 day 43 (5).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 1989 NL 5 day 43 (6).jpg
    1989 NL 5 day 43 (6).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0507
    DSCN0507
    62.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1989 NL 5 harvested tops.jpg
    1989 NL 5 harvested tops.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1989 NL 5 harvested tops (4).jpg
    1989 NL 5 harvested tops (4).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 1989 NL 5 harvested tops (6).jpg
    1989 NL 5 harvested tops (6).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 101

therevverend

Veteran
What you have there is pretty close to what I remember from 20 years ago Melvan. What is key here is in every description of the original the words "true breeding" are used. Over and over again since the early 90's I have seen the same basic traits popping up again and again in the hands of skillful breeders and growers. I put little stock in trying to keep the same old degenerated clone around for thirty years. All the favorable traits are locked in that DNA waiting for someone to pop 100 or 500 seeds and do the hard long work of selection. The original growers in Afghanistan grew it for hundreds of years. I think us civilized enlightened westerners can manage to keep a good strain healthy and strong for twenty.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
my friend passed me a cut and said to hold on to it it's original nl5.
look familiar at all? this is like 6-8 weeks veg from a 2 inch clone.

picture.php

picture.php

the plant on the right is 2x the size and thats 2-3 weeks of growth after being chopped down for clones. if you look real close the purple part of the stem is where i took it down to.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Was just asked bout my nl cut... Brought back memories seein vaped n Melvin's pics... Nice to see nl still around my old cut could hang with any strain... She was a 10

30years

sweet! i have a copy of nl from santa cruz, maybe 18-19 years old. i dont grow it anymore, just use it for breeding. i remember nl from seattle area maybe 1996. so white i thought the bud was frosted. a partner of mine paid 5 grand for the cut at that time. you have to preserve the old foundation strains...
best,
30y

Dirt Life

Veteran
Wow! The NL hybrid I've been hanging onto for years has the exact same leaves and structure as vaped and melvans, although a bit squatter. Nice to see that. Don't even know if mine is "authentic" NL, but definitely worth keeping. I know FOE20 has original NL#5, Sensi seeds and I believe SSSC... he knows the line very well. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts