What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the Spider Mites.... D E A D ???

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
last grow in my tent despite a heavy cleaning with bleach, spraying down the tent with flomite , and setting off dr doom bombs, i still had mites... no webbing, but they were there....

since i have not been growing, for the last 3 months i have '2' no-pest-strips hanging in the area- its a closed area, no people/animals..

do we think the suckers are all DEAD??... of course i'm going to spray the tent down with bleach, and set off more bombs b4 setting up the plants... what's the consensus??

T

TakenByTheSky

You don't need bleach, isopropyl alcohol works just as good of not better than bleach and isn't as harsh to use.

There's always a possibility you could have dormant mites living in th seams of the the tent, they can go dormant for a very long time.

Cuddles

last grow in my tent despite a heavy cleaning with bleach, spraying down the tent with flomite , and setting off dr doom bombs, i still had mites... no webbing, but they were there....

since i have not been growing, for the last 3 months i have '2' no-pest-strips hanging in the area- its a closed area, no people/animals..

do we think the suckers are all DEAD??... of course i'm going to spray the tent down with bleach, and set off more bombs b4 setting up the plants... what's the consensus??

Did you also clean the outside of the tent and the room it´s in?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Did you also clean the outside of the tent and the room it´s in?

YESSSS... its a small space... i have a NPStrip inside the tent and also one outside - i put a dr doom inside the tent, i spray inside and outside the tent..

the problem with spraying alcohol is... where do u find it... every time i am out at a market or a drug store i look, and since the pandemic, i have not been able to find any...

Cuddles

Yeah iso is a real problem everywhere I guess. Also I heard already in march that it´s gotten much more expensive. I was at a doctors in march and saw that he had a bottle of booze - whiskey, scotch or something instead of iso and he said he uses that now.

Luckily I already had bought a liter of the stuff a couple of years ago.

I used to have a massive borg problem when I first moved into my flat too. Took years to get it under control. I hope that you´ve managed to kill them off for good

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
thanks... i hear good and bad things about no pest strips... some guys swear they work, others say they are useless... i guess i'll see in some months...

Max Q

I’ve used them a couple times... they are 100% effective. I had some weed tested at MCR labs, Paid extra for it...They did detect a residual of 9 parts per billion for dichlorvos, I’m still standing up and taking nourishment, to the hand wringing over toxicity... I call BS.....

They sell them at Home Cheapo for Christ sakes....

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I’ve used them a couple times... they are 100% effective. I had some weed tested at MCR labs, Paid extra for it...They did detect a residual of 9 parts per billion for dichlorvos, I’m still standing up and taking nourishment, to the hand wringing over toxicity... I call BS.....

well mine are in the empty tent/small empty room , and been there for 2+months - i will take them down soon, and clean the shit out of the tent and room, and then aerate the room/tent for some days- so i should be (i hope) ok...

Max Q

my final word on No Pest Strips

my final word on No Pest Strips

well mine are in the empty tent/small empty room , and been there for 2+months - i will take them down soon, and clean the shit out of the tent and room, and then aerate the room/tent for some days- so i should be (i hope) ok...

You won't see them again until you bring more in on a clone or hitchhiking on you from outside....

no pest strips use dichlorvos....it's a vapor fumigant, with a short half-life, gets into every nook and cranny, the dichlorvos is readily metabolized and harmlessly excreted by mammals including humans, they spray it on farm animals in solution, people work in factories producing the stuff, i've used it occasionally around the since the 70's.... ....and you can trust me, i'm not like the others.... ha ha.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I'm cleaning up my flower space after a pretty bad outbreak of mites....

7 days of NP strips followed by deep cleaning (vacuum and spray down with iso/water solution 1:3).

Everclear works in a pinch, little spendy...but the alcohol just kills them dead.

Cuddles

About the iso, I just found some ISO at an online pharmacy, but I live in a different country... too bad

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
'if'.... and thats a really big if , i am able to find alcohol, do u cut it with water, or some dish soap, or use it pure...

Cuddles

Well, let´s see: rubbing alcohol is at 70%. There´s spirits, like the ones you make to make canna oil, that are also higher. I´m honestly not sure if you should dilute it with anything.

But I´m sure they´re others here who have some experience in this respect. I wouldn´t cut a 70% ISO solution any further tho.

With that said it really sounds as though you´ve done pretty much everything you can to clean out your space. Fingers crossed it´s sufficient :)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have no idea if this is true, maybe an expert can answer.
I heard that the two spotted spider mite does go into dormancy or "hibernation" but only at low temperatures.
If this is true, I assume that any mites left would be dead from lack of food, rather than just dormant.
Anybody know?