What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

nickman

Veteran
I love pizza. Just found this thread. What a great idea...

Now I need a pizza after looking through this thread...!!!...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
made my 1st dough....regular white flour, yeast,salt and warm water
into the mixer goes the flour, yeast on one side,salt on the other, turn on mixer , when dry ingredients r mixed slowly pour the water on the sides- i mixed for about 5-6mins, took out the ball, put into a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, onto my cable box for a bit of bottom heat for 2hrs- 4 cups of flour made 2 large doughs- made a pizza for my kids, awaiting their report how tasty it was..

next time will coat the dough with some evoo prior to placing in the bowl....

i know some people add some sugar and evoo to the mixture- since this is my 1st time making dough, awaiting results b4 tweating the receipe...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so my kids reported the dough was excellent- a bit airy and crunchy, just like they like it - i still have one in the freezer - i wlll make one for myself and rate it - supposely if u use 00 flour it is more dense so the dough will not be as airy/crunchy- still want to try with a bit of evoo in the mixer

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so i didn't try my dough last week, but was told it was good- this week used the same receipe.. 4 cups + 4 table spoons reg white flour , salt , 1 pack yeast , and water , but added 2 tablespoons of evoo... i tried the dough this week, n while others said the pizza was ggod, i thought the dough was not airy enough, n the crust was too hard, n didn't rise enough.. any idea's to improve it???

rod58

generally what i do zach is not put any oil in the mix on its first rise ..
make your flour , salt , pinch of sugar and water , knead like fek until its real stretchy , roll into a ball , into a bowl and then pour olive oil over it , fair amount , then let it rise ..i put it on the front seat of the car for an hour or two , and then knead it again using the oil thats in the bowl . works for me !

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
generally what i do zach is not put any oil in the mix on its first rise ..
make your flour , salt , pinch of sugar and water , knead like fek until its real stretchy , roll into a ball , into a bowl and then pour olive oil over it , fair amount , then let it rise ..i put it on the front seat of the car for an hour or two , and then knead it again using the oil thats in the bowl . works for me !

ok will try omitting the oil when making the dough n adding a bit of sugar- i did oil the bowl rubbed the dough with oil, covered the bowl n left it on top of my cable box for about 2hrs- it rose nicely but as i said wasn't airy enough- i'll try your receipe next friday and report back..thanks,

Americangrower

Veteran
I would suggest proofing the yeast, just add a touch of sugar to warm water. Put yeast in water lightly get it to sink and wait. If it frost up you are good.

I also use reg unbleached flour usually King Arthur. I like to knock it down once for a double rise.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I would suggest proofing the yeast, just add a touch of sugar to warm water. Put yeast in water lightly get it to sink and wait. If it frost up you are good.

I also use reg unbleached flour usually King Arthur. I like to knock it down once for a double rise.

i made dough today- proofed the yeast, with sugar -let it sit for 10mins, then into the flour which i mixed in the salt, ran the hook for some mins, took it out and knelded for 5+ mins, into a greased bowl covered with a towel, onto my warm cable box for 2hrs , again knelded it, then cut into 4 balls and oiled on a platter and now sitting in the fridge for 24hrs- i'll let ya know outcome

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so the dough came out....ok.... def more airy... not like a piece of cardboard - i think next week, i'm going to add a bit more sugar of maybe salt- not sure - i think i'll try a bit more salt- if that doesnt work, the next time i'll add more sugar - trial and error

Americangrower

Veteran
so the dough came out....ok.... def more airy... not like a piece of cardboard - i think next week, i'm going to add a bit more sugar of maybe salt- not sure - i think i'll try a bit more salt- if that doesnt work, the next time i'll add more sugar - trial and error

Oh it def needs salt. I'm Sicilian so I make thick rectangle pan pizza, so yes dough is airy. Tho I do like a good thin crust NY or Brickoven pizza as well.

Green Squall

Oh it def needs salt. I'm Sicilian so I make thick rectangle pan pizza, so yes dough is airy. Tho I do like a good thin crust NY or Brickoven pizza as well.

My grandmother used to make that. Its been too long since I've had it. What part of Sicily is your family from? Dad and grandparents are from Marsala.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i made some dough yesterday with an americastestkitchen receipe - it was for Detroit style which is like focaccia bread with cheese n sauce..

i stretched it out a bit more in a pizza pan... more like a grandmas pizza -

the dough was nice... i'm just about there...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
another question.... so i now put the yeast in the warm'd water along with the sugar , let it sit for some mins, then into the flour+ salt which has been mixed - so far so good - then i kneaded it, then into an oil'd bowl covered and let it rise for 1-2 hrs- it doubles (plus) in size - i take it out of the bowl and punch it down - then i cut it , this time into 4 equal pieces , and then form it into a ball...
here's the problem - as i form it into a ball, the dough comes apart.. almost like it breaks apart.... yes i reform it into a ball , but why is it coming apart... too much oil?? flour???
yes i confused....:wallbash::wallbash:

Breadwizard

Breaking apart as in crumbling?

another question.... so i now put the yeast in the warm'd water along with the sugar , let it sit for some mins, then into the flour+ salt which has been mixed - so far so good - then i kneaded it, then into an oil'd bowl covered and let it rise for 1-2 hrs- it doubles (plus) in size - i take it out of the bowl and punch it down - then i cut it , this time into 4 equal pieces , and then form it into a ball...
here's the problem - as i form it into a ball, the dough comes apart.. almost like it breaks apart.... yes i reform it into a ball , but why is it coming apart... too much oil?? flour???
yes i confused....:wallbash::wallbash:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Breaking apart as in crumbling?

yesss ..as i kneld it after it rises.. i took it out of the greased bowl, punched it down, n cut it into 4 pieces - then formed it into a round ball as it was coming apart from the middle, liking ripping apart- i managed to form it into balls and put it in the fridge for 1-2 days

Breadwizard

I'm not sure I quite understand how a gluten rich dough like pizza can crumble apart, unless you were using gluten free flour, or it is vastly over fermented. The dough should be elastic and very stretchy, easily holdi together as it is stretched or tossed into shape. Perhaps more information is needed to diagnose: is the flour bread flour? Is it old? What was your recipe?