What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeolites

Koondense

Veteran
I put some into my guerrilla outdoor soil mix last season.
It was roughly 5-10% because combined with perlite, so around 50/50 perlite/zeolite ratio, total 20% to the soil mix.

Problem is I can't say if it was of any benefit, all I can say it was my best season so far, partly because of the soil mix, partly because of good outdoor genetics.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
http://asdn.net/asdn/chemistry/zeolites.php

Zeolites are crystalline solids structures made of silicon, aluminum and oxygen that form a framework with cavities and channels inside where cations, water and/or small molecules may reside. They are often also referred to as molecular sieves. Many of them occur naturally as minerals, and are extensively mined in many parts of the world finding applications in industry and medicine. However, most of zeolites have been made synthetically some of them made for commercial use while others created by scientists to study their chemistry. At present, there are 191 unique zeolite frameworks identified[1], and over 40 naturally occurring zeolite frameworks are known.

Zeolites were introduced in 1954 as adsorbents for industrial separations and purifications. Because of their unique porous properties, zeolites are used now in a variety of applications with world production estimated to be in the range of 2.5 million to 3 million metric tons (Mt) in 2008 year [2]. They are used in petrochemical cracking, water softening and purification, in the separation and removal of gases and solvents, agriculture, animal husbandry and construction.

Zeolites are crystalline aluminosilicates with open 3D framework structures built of SiO4 and AlO4 tetrahedra linked to each other by sharing all the oxygen atoms to form regular intra-crystalline cavities and channels of molecular dimensions. A defining feature of zeolites is that their frameworks are made up of 4-coordinated atoms forming tetrahedra. These tetrahedra are linked together by their corners and make a rich variety of beautiful structures. The framework structure may contain linked cages, cavities or channels, which are big enough to allow small molecules to enter. The system of large voids explains the consistent low specific density of these compounds. In zeolites used for various applications, the voids are interconnected and form long wide channels of various sizes depending on the compound. These channels allow the easy drift of the resident ions and molecules into and out of the structure. The aluminosilicate framework is negatively charged and attracts the positive cations that reside in cages to compensate negative charge of the framework. Unlike most other tectosilicates [3], zeolites have largeer cages in their structures.

VortexPower420

Veteran
I there is aluminum in all clays and most rocks. It is one of the most abundant minerals on earth.

Unless you are applying strong acids or chemically acidulated fertilizers the Al stays locked up right where it is.

I apply zeolitrs to my soil and also my worm bin and compost piles. My hope with the compost Is to capture and nitrate gases that are trying to escape.

I feel it adds some extra water holding compasity. My pots have dried out in the past but the plant doesn't seem to wilt untill it is bone bone dry.

Ratzilla

Veteran
I have been using Zeolite in my mix for years.
I feel that it increases the CEC of the mix being it has a negative charge to it.
Its greatest affinity is for NH4+ Ammonium nitrogen, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and Iron any of the cations will adhere to its surface and be easily released by plant driven exudes.
I use it @1-2 TBLSP/gal.
I find the kind that I have is neutral to slightly acidic around 6.8-7.
I also believe that pH must dive really deep for any Aluminum to be released for its a tight bond that they have with each other.
It is also a fact that much aluminum makes up our dirt.
I believe it is the 3rd most found element in our soils.
By the nature of the bonds that form Zeolite there is much surface area for beasties to set up homes
If a peep were to charge his Zeolite with whatever cation he would so wish, then not only homes but condominiums with room service.
It also bring some drainage and aeration to the mix.

Some say a Calcium Bentonite Clay is better in raising the CEC but I feel it does not provide all the surface area that the atomic structure of Zeolites bring.
Ratz :tiphat:
On ammonium nitrate gasses escaping I believe that a little soft rock phosphate mix inn stops this off gassing.
For the life of me the reason why escapes me at the moment.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Zeolite, like organic matter has an anion holding capacity. Specifically NH4. So rather than off gassing or being converted to nitrate...to be saved for later. It also holds K very well

I see it as giving me a little saftey margin

Ratzilla

Veteran
Zeolite, like organic matter has an anion holding capacity. Specifically NH4. So rather than off gassing or being converted to nitrate...to be saved for later. It also holds K very well

I see it as giving me a little saftey margin

NH4+ is Ammonium Nitrate a cation,
Zeolites have a negative charge and attract cations
Ratz :tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
never tried them....yeehaw....don't think I am gonna either...bio char holds my nutes..any one done a side by side real scientific test???????

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I am always skeptical and research stuff nowadays before using ..I tend to look at horticulture industry in general and school studies first...I run a diverse living soil for the most part..i don't feel anything is missing ...but I always have an open mind..never stop learning ..you never know it all....yeehaw

VortexPower420

Veteran
I have researched and that is why it is a addition to my soil. Everything has a reason and a place. Sometimes you get over lap. Something I am OK with.

Adding things for the hell of it is silly and stonee science and will not stand for it.

wasgedn

found killer source for zeolith in europe....very cheap...good quality.(i did buy at3 different sources...so i kno how it should look like....best is all whit...or greywhite.. )....0,80 € per 1 kg....25 kilo sacks
90% Clinoptilolith

http://www.baumgruen.com/zeolith

Last edited:

wasgedn

which grain size should i use for soil ??....i got fine and crude
edit....i use both....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts