What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Omaha Steaks

kaochiu

Veteran
No kidding. As for tender, it melts in the mouth. Matured for about 3 months. The bald guy is the owner and chef. The horned one is where Tbones come from.

Attachments

• 53.1 KB · Views: 51

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=339565&thumb=1]View Image[/url] This is my all time favourite http://www.bodegasdealto.com/food/restaurants/el-capricho/
The article is old, but the steak carries on being the same and the chef's expertise increasing. I go there several times every year, like 200km from my house in an almost desert village in northern Spain. They charge a lot, like 120€ a kg, and there are no steaks under two kilos. But the problem is after you try something like this, standards rocket.
wow! That looks amazing,,,reminds me of those steaks from Florence or was it bologna??,, bloody memory lol,,,
Thanks for sharing,,,s2:tiphat:

sprinkl

Veteran
What a beast! Do you know the race of such cattle? I didn't know there were such big ones...

I can imagine it melts in the mouth after 3 months ripening, with such fat marbling it must taste amazing.

I once ate 2 month ripened meat of an old Belgian race, the Flemish Red - probably poorly translated -, the smell alone took me way back, to the time when french fries were still baked in cow fat..

It's amazing how the industry managed to produce such subpar cowmeat... The transition to insect proteines should go smoothly since we're so used to eating tasteless shit nowadays...

kaochiu

Veteran
According to the guy, he goes around old villages and hamlets in Spain and elsewhere looking for old oxen that have been working the fields. Then he buys and keeps the animal for a year or so giving them a superb treatment and feeding, thus getting a lot of fat around the muscle. Also old cows that also have been working animals. I think he's got a guinness record for the biggest animal, over 2000kg. When it comes to meat, the man's a freak.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mmmmmm steak....yeehaw...theres no shortcuts ,,,what you put in directly affects the end product...just like eggs and growing weed..

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
It's been a while since I've had a good steak. I used to be all about the porterhouse and t-bone cuts, but my tastes have changed a bit and I find Delmonico ribeyes and New York strips to be the best fit for my palette. Fillet mignon is amazing when done right, but more often than not I feel the places around here totally fuck them up. Too expensive of a cut not to do it how it should be done.

The best steak I ever had was an in-bone strip that I had marinated for 2 days in something I totally winged. I would kill for that exact recipe as I didn't write it down and my god was it killer. I remember it had red wine vinegar, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, sea salt, like a teaspoon of sugar, and a few other things I can't remember. Don't recall how much of each exactly. Done medium-rare over charcoal it knocked it clear out of the park and was fork tender, no joke. No sauce, seasoning or salt needed it was perfect. I've tried to replicate it to the best of my knowledge but can never get it right. One day I'll strike gold again and post it up.

Life's too short to eat shitty food, I'm always down to share a recipe or cooking secret.

X

xavier7995

Man, I knew way too many trashy fuckin dudes that drove around drunk selling steaks to ever eat something from Omaha. Its frozen crap as mentioned years ago.

Best steak I ever had was a super nice ny strip from whole foods. It was dumb expensive but put me on the right track of how to cook steak. Get a decent quality piece of fresh meat, simple salt and pepper to season, cast iron for around 4 or 5 minutes per side over high heat till medium.

Edit: if you have an ethnic store near you give it a whirl, asian places have great quality steak for a good price often cut thin and Mexican grocers have really good pre-marinated stuff.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I have a family run store near me. They have the absolute best local filet mignons on the CHEAP!!! I do not eat much red meat anymore but when I do it is the fresh filet mignons from my market.

Latest posts

Latest posts