What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KOBE (WAGYU) beef, anyone ever cook it?

G

good drown

yes i did, i found something around what i though was good for 78000 yen for 126 grams.

I did not think japan had lot of room to raise cattle i guess i was wrong. here is what i found on their care
Today, as in the past, these farmers usually fatten only one or two head at a time. Young virgin heifers of the Tajima strain of the Japanese Black breed are the preferred animals for this purpose, although steers are also used. These animals are fed a special ration with the energy level gradually being raised as the animal is finished for slaughter at around 36 months.

Management practices include regular massage with oil to improve the distribution and softness of the sub-cutaneous fat, feeding beer and other special foods to stimulate the appetite when the animal is on the high-energy, low-bulk finishing ration, and the deliberate restriction of exercise to prevent muscle toughness. The result is a mature carcass with bright cherry red meat, almost all of which is extensively and finely marbled with pure white fat. The Japanese regard this as the top grade of beef.

G

good drown

No, that was for 10 steaks 126 grams a piece. Like I said, thats the size people eat here, they don't eat 400+ gram steaks, that would be glutinous.

it its just for one, i found the better steaks on that page took a while though, but you are right, they are tiny, but are actual real, albeit tiny, cuts of meat

and 150grams LOL thats 2 bites for me

im still waiting for you to find me a 16oz a5 kobe porterhouse

Thurston Howell

Dammit, I wish I knew how to grill a ribeye so it gets a nice char, yet has that buttery taste, like at the steakhouse. I just end up fighting flareups and the end result is not the same. I hate wasting good grass fed angus steaks this way. Do the restaurants smear butter on the steak first? If so, doesn't it burn when grilled? I could sure use some pointers.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Never had kobe, but a high heat sear (in a pan to maintain the fat content) followed by medium heat sounds like the way to go. I like that well done layer on the outside sprinkled with crushed black pepper and sea salt, with a room temperature center.

Dammit, I wish I knew how to grill a ribeye so it gets a nice char, yet has that buttery taste, like at the steakhouse. I just end up fighting flareups and the end result is not the same. I hate wasting good grass fed angus steaks this way. Do the restaurants smear butter on the steak first? If so, doesn't it burn when grilled? I could sure use some pointers.

Often liquid margarine is used. This liquid fat has a low water content

Allowing the beef to soak up the water content of the butter may help. Otherwise, use ghee (clarified butter)

mrdizzle

thought I would add some tips for cooking kobe

DONT grill it. there is too much fat, that fat will melt and hit the charcoil and smoke making the meat taste like shit

you cant eat kobe rare. you need to "activate" the fat by cooking it to medrare at the least

I like to put mine in a over at 250 degrees for 15mins, or until the internal temp is 100degrees, then I take it out of the oven, pat it dry with a paper towel, and put it in a hot saute pan for about 1 min a side and let it rest for 5-7mins.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran

DONT grill it. there is too much fat, that fat will melt and hit the charcoil and smoke making the meat taste like shit

you cant eat kobe rare. you need to "activate" the fat by cooking it to medrare at the least

I like to put mine in a over at 250 degrees for 15mins, or until the internal temp is 100degrees, then I take it out of the oven, pat it dry with a paper towel, and put it in a hot saute pan for about 1 min a side and let it rest for 5-7mins.

Hey thanks for the tips man, If you don't mind me asking... how many times have you cooked/ate Kobe? and where did you buy yours at?
thanks

mrdizzle

Ive cooked it countless times, its actually hard to get real kobe here since 2001, I dont order it because I honestly dont like it, I dont like the way it turns to liquid in your mouth

a true kobe steak looks almost white, with red flecks in it, you can still get good american style kobe which isnt nearly as fatty, and I actually perfer that fact, but it doesnt really come close to a real kobe

aasin527

if you can, try to check out kobe burgers. i get them in once in a while for busy weekends. absolutely delicious. get fresh if available.

K

kannubis

I still prefer sirloin. Rare and large. The texture is the key to epicurean delight.

weedof

had wagyu several times all different cuts being absolutely delicious. kobe(certified wagyu from kobe region is way over my budget

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Will use your experience as a guide mrdizzle, I just got an A5 Wagyu sent here from Japan and am going to chow down in a couple of days on this one. Rib Eye

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
10 year old thread here Mr. Tudo.

Local market has tenderloins, which when marbled nicely, grill up pretty well.

It is amazing how much nicer a good cut of meat eats. Not that much more than a ribeye really.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
local Arby's are advertising their first hamburger, allegedly wagyu beef. would anyone willingly grind up a top-notch cut of beef & fry it? isn't that illegal? it should be...