What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hps lifetime

bibi40

Hi everyone ,

i use Hps 600 w dual spectrum ( Sylvania Grolux ) and want to know if i had to change them or do one or two more grow ,

i used them for two both grow (like 2 month grow and 4 month flo total )
my last indoor grows was like twenty year ago and at this time i was used to change my bulb every six month , but that was a long time ago and perhaps new bulb are better , so i need your help for this .

may i change them or can i use them again for one or more cycle ?

thanks

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Alot of people change them every 2 or 3 bloom cycles. Prices have dropped lately for good quality bulbs, some people change them at start of every bloom cycle

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
If you don't want to change the bulb frequently, have a look at the latest quantum board design LED grow light. :D

hayday

Veteran
I used to change mine once a year. That was running them way to long but with 4 bulbs it was $400 .Thats hard to justify sometimes.

Hps died in 2019 for me as leds are just better now.
I might fire one up if I need a heater .

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
FWIW, I use Ushio lamps in my 1000HPS' and change them every 3-4 years. In my 600HPS' I use commercial GE lamps and change them every 2-3 years. I've had some 1000HPS lamps, like Digilux, that needed to be replaced after a few runs. Maybe I got a bad batch. I've tried all kinds of lamps over the past 17 years; Ushio is the best I've used so far. Good luck.

Simon

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks for sharing Simon, saw your post in the jacks professional thread about yielding 3oz per sq ft as well. Running bulbs for 3-4 years before replacing sounds crazy, are those yields consistent for life of the bulbs?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Thanks for sharing Simon, saw your post in the jacks professional thread about yielding 3oz per sq ft as well. Running bulbs for 3-4 years before replacing sounds crazy, are those yields consistent for life of the bulbs?

I know it sounds crazy when most folks on the forums say their lamps are replaced every few grows. I usually replace the lamps when I see a difference in yield or in the structure of the flowers. They're commercial lamps where durability counts, not grow lamps. My experience with grow lamps isn't great, even when made my a real company like Sylvania, as they tend to loose output too quickly.

My advice, whether someone wants it or not, is to buy lamps made by a real company: GE, Philips, Sylvania, Ushio. Stay away from (HPS) lamps that offer an alternate spectrum, like more blue for supposedly fuller growth.

I do a lot of things differently than many folks on the forums, like never having measured pH in my life. Over time the methodology has proven itself, specifically, when it comes to yield. It's the only thing I care about, plus, I don't like to work too hard. Minimal effort-maximum gain. :)

Simon

mme_oscar

Hey Bibi,

I change mine every 4 blooms (4*70 days give or take) and feel I could do at least 1 or 2 extra grows on the same bulb. MH however suck at keeping a high output over the time IMHO.

+++

HGCC

I change mine out once a year or so, it just seems like a waste to do it more often. I once ran one for close to 3 years and never really saw a noticeable reduction in quality/yield so I play pretty fast and loose with it now. I just get whatever normal 1k single end bulbs i can find for around 50 bucks.

I like the additional heat you get out of a hps, its helpful in my environment, but if I were putting something together now it would be led based.

bibi40

Thanks for the input !!!

finally i did one more run with same bulb , and didn' t notice anydifference ,

so i just go for one more run ...
will share the results after next run ...

once again thanks everybody !!!

:skiiing:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I'm happy with the Osram Vialox NAV-T xx0W SUPER 4Y bulbs. The super 4Y comes from 4 years lifespan as a streetbulb iirc. Also ~25 euro/pice is also nice. I use them as booster for the cdm i'm running(last 2/3 bloom) so don't know if they would fit your style. Use them min 8 grows since i switch between 250 and 400 bulb when changing the wattage. More like after 2 years use i beginn to look if harvest is significant less then i change.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi everyone ,

i use Hps 600 w dual spectrum ( Sylvania Grolux ) and want to know if i had to change them or do one or two more grow ,

i used them for two both grow (like 2 month grow and 4 month flo total )
my last indoor grows was like twenty year ago and at this time i was used to change my bulb every six month , but that was a long time ago and perhaps new bulb are better , so i need your help for this .

may i change them or can i use them again for one or more cycle ?

thanks

Hi bibi:dance: I’m guilty of running my bulbs to death, or nearly so (hortilux 1000 w hps) I do however always keep extra bulbs on hand & I tell myself continually that for each new grow I’m gonna swap them out and start fresh lol ,but usually I just kind of replace them haphazard ...some of my ballasts have indicator lights that will flash and tell you when your lamp is dying...Also it’s been advised to me in the past if I was so inclined and really concerned to get some kind of light meter to take readings at different times in the life of the bulb ... if you do have the money probably should replace them with fresh at the beginning of each grow...

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
This thread came to mind, as I started harvesting about a week ago and noticed a change in the structure of the flowers. Today, maybe 15 minutes ago, got a package of brand new Ushio 1000HPS' lamps. It's been a few years, too, so it's time to change. I remember paying a small fortunes for Ushio lamps, but these cost less than $70 each. The prices really have come down.

Simon

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
When you buy bulk, changing lamps regularly can save money due to the energy bill. Good lamps are not cheap for most of us though. It's better to accept the lamp won't always be at 100% and just group the fittings closer together.

Your manufacturer will have depreciation charts online.

I like the Green power lamps from Philips. Aimed at the same commercial users, they start off around 95% of what their standard HPS can do. They hold that output for longer though. Spending a lot of their life around 90% output. While the standard one is dropping constantly. The standard will outlive the GreenPower if both are run till total failure, but by then it's lost loads of output. The GP just holds on to the high numbers till it folds. That consistant output means spacing between lights can stay the same. I mean.. who moves them closer together as the lamps age anyway?

This gives the GP the longest useful lifespan. Ideal where maintenance costs want keeping down, and environmental impact.

Years...

Veggia farmer

Simon, whats this change of structure you talk about, could you possible explain? I dont like to work TO hard too lol. Yeah, I better change some of my bulbs...