What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2019-2020

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It’s hard to build a decent offense without good QB play, but mcvay was able to do that the last couple years despite goff’s struggles. I have a feeling that mcvay is going to like what Stafford brings to the table, and likewise Stafford is going to be very pleased being on a team with a great defense, good offensive talent and a brilliant head coach. But like you said, the nfc west is going to be stacked next year, especially with the 49ers healthy, and Rodgers and Brady are still in the NFC, so cant pencil them in for the superbowl yet.

Yeah, I think the O-lineman from Oregon and the WR from LSU, theyre projected to be top 5 picks but both opted out of last season because of covid concerns. So that’s less big game experience for them, but also less risk of injury. I guess physically they have all the tools and there’s enough game tape on them from previous seasons that scouts still feel comfortable ranking them high.

I guess if matt jones, the Bama QB, is there at #20 the bears should draft him. He’s got decent but not great arm strength, good accuracy and decision making, decent size, so there’s nothing about him that screams potential bust but naysayers will point out that he was throwing passes to WRs that are 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rd NFL draft picks, they were getting 5 yds of separation on their routes. He’s going to have to make more tight window throws in the NFL.
But it also depends on if the bears try to grab a QB in free agency. Wilson and Watson are supposedly still available, Fitzmagic too, hell even Cam Newton is available. Cam only had 5 td passes last year, but it was his 1[SUP]st[/SUP] year back from injury, new team, not much practice time and the pats had maybe the worst WR group in the league. I saw some of cam’s play, some of his passes were off but some also hit his WRs in the face or hands and they couldn’t make the catch.

Cannabutter in mac and cheese, that’s brilliant. Usually canna-cooking involves sweets, cakes cookies etc, but using it in savory dishes is an often overlooked option.
I thought rivers’ arm looked washed last year, but as the season went on I think it got better, and during their playoff loss to the bills I thought he was making some tough throws. Wentz is much younger and stronger, like Pop said, but his mechanics and pocket presence were so off last year, and he’s been getting progressively worse the last 3 years, it’s hard to imagine he’ll be elite again. But the colts have a top 3 or 5 Offensive line, and some decent skill players (pittman and taylor could blow up next year) that there’s a chance of it happening.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
that sounds like a fun bowl of mac and cheese and likebaba said, its a nice change of pace from the sweets
does the cheesy sauce mask the taste of your butter well?
wentz has a good team around him in indy, but i hope this dosent stop the colts from moving ahead and trying to grab some top tallent in the off season/ draft

i think the o'line is one of those positions that you can take a year off and still play if you once had the juice
as long as you keep up your conditioning and work on strength/ speed drills you should be good to go
/your footwork comes back and its all about moving the man in front of you
with other positions, especially qb a lot of it is the speed and timing of the game
/miss your receiver by a fraction of a second and you are looking at an incomplete/ pick
the routes are a little more complex in the nfl ut i think a fast receiver can transition well to the nfl but not as easily as some of the line positions
im changing my take on cam this season; i was disappointed in his play lasty season but you make a good point about how its not all on him
i still tihnk he would be an upgrade in chicago
i heard the rumors that russ might want to go to chicago, but part of the willson deal would be players plus picks
/k.mac and all the #1 draft pics
i doubt wilson leaves seatle, but i could see d.watson hitting the market if the texans are smart
he is not happy in houston and wants out
he is not happy with the team (especailly his lack of input in the offence make up) and could sit out this season just to prove his point
9ers are a team im one the fence about, they have a top-10 defense but some question marks
cardinals took a step forward by signing watt, even if its just for his experience and leadership abilities alone
got any plans for this weekend baba?
the mrs and i are planning a long weekend camping trip so im putting in some miles to get the legs back into shape
its raining today so im taking the day off and am working on setting up a light here
/got some new cuts im looking forward to growing out

hope everyone is getting their feet under them and getting used to the new site!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Wentz is one of the great question marks for next season, he could be great or terrible or somewhere in between, only time will tell. He seems a little sensitive, but he doesn’t have a good backup QB breathing down his neck in Indy so maybe mentally things will be smoother for him.

If Kyle Long is healthy I agree with you Pop, he should be able to play well. He’s 32 now (he came into the league at 24) so not that young but should still have 3-5 years of good play left if he’s physically able. I know he had a really bad ankle injury with the bears that he tried to come back from too quickly, maybe he just needed a year off to let it fully heal.
The Hawks have only missed the playoffs one year since they drafted Wilson, unless they get a franchise QB in return I doubt they trade him, but they do need to get him more help on offense. Like Peyton manning, the team should surround him with talent, but that comes at the risk of ignoring their defense. With Russel and Peyton, they only won rings during years where they had a good to great defense.

Niners still have to figure out what’s going on at QB, going with jimmy G for 1 more year or trying to upgrade, but regardless I think theyre going to finish with at least 9 wins next season. They were so devastated by injuries, nick bosa, jimmy G, George kittle, mostert and most of their other RBs, soloman Thomas, etc etc. They were fielding their 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] stringers most games it seemed like, assuming they’re not gutted by season long injuries again I think theyre a playoff team even with the division being so competitive. The defense should be elite, run game dominant again, and jimmy can get the ball to their playmakers at WR and TE, they won a ton of games like that in 2019.

No specific plans for the weekend, maybe visit family or friends, chill and eat. Weather’s been pretty good lately, even got into the 50’s for a bit, maybe winter is over for now?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Got to hoop with Keenan Allen and Desmond King last night for a couple hours.... first time our indoor basketball courts have opened up since the last shutdown.... man it feels great to sniff a lil bit of normal again.... now if we have just have the local gym open the basketball court instead of having to rent it out every time at a private facility... we'll be golden! I wanna play for like 3-4 hours until my legs feel like they want to fall off....

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
wentz is a huge unknown going into the season and i think the colts might want to have some kind of plan b available if he dosent pan out as planned
they look like they are on the verge of being a contender but need to firm up the qb position
k.long could still have some good productive years ahead of him as long as hes back 100%
look at a.whitworth of the rams, i tihnk he was almost 40y last season but still looked good
some of those guys are just big old oak trees, they just get tougher with age (of course to a point)
i tihkn the 9ers are in a tough spot with jimmyG
he had potential, but he has never really played up to expectations
there still might be some value to him but its a tough call
i think the 9ers are in a simular position to the colts, a piece or two away from being a contender and it would suck if that one spot held the whole team back

one of these days things will get back to normal, storm shadow
i was recently up north and it looked like things were getting back to normal with stores opena nd bars and movies and palces like that wiht people (limited capacity)
it must be tough to get a game going when you have to reserve a spot on the court
unless everyone is on the same page and knows when to show up, not like when things are open and you can just show up and see whos playing and have fun
hopefully things will take another step forward when the weather gets nice and we can do more things outside again
get those legs in shape and get ready brother!

hope everyone has a great weekend!

Storm Shadow

Veteran
we just invite 15 people bro.... play till 11 points and we play for 2-3 hours....its so fun.... I ran with Keenan and he passed me a.. game winning 3 shot after I didnt shoot for 2.5 games once... I suck at 3 pointers...Id rather attack the hoop ...but yeah 15 people means u play alot... we're gonna hoop again today...except this time I have a little gift for #13 called Master Kush :)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That’s great you were able to ball a little bit, Shadow. Tell me, who’s the best 3pt shooter on the chargers, in your opinion? Also, no Derwin James? Maybe he’s given up b-ball while he’s recuperating, but he should be fully healthy now, it was just a meniscus tear and that was 7 months ago…

The colts might want to keep jacoby Brissett as a backup, if he’s willing to sign for much less than his last contract (15M/yr). He’s been with the team like 3 yrs now, knows Reich’s offense, he’s not a great passer but having that familiarity would help him manage the team if wentz gets hurt or sucks again.

Whitworth is unusual, most football players tend to fade bad when they hit their mid 30’s except maybe QBs. Even if they’ve avoided major injuries, it’s the mileage that gets to them.

Ive heard rumors that maybe the pats would trade for jimmy G, but today they announced theyre bringing back cam on another 1 yr deal. He actually had 8 passing td’s last year (I mistakenly said 5), 10 ints, 12 rushing td’s. So he probably didn’t do that bad last season, for someone who played very little the previous 2 yrs, new team, bad receivers. Pats are supposed to have a bunch of cap space this offseason to sign free agents, so if they spend their money right they could be a playoff team again.

The 49ers had a nightmare season last year after a superbowl run the previous season, but imo that’s just going to make them hungrier in 2021.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
playing full court to 11 pts sounds pretty fast and furious storm but it keeps the game moving
how are you scoring, just like the nba (with 2 and three point shots) or is a bucket worth one point no matter where it was shot from?
do you guys change up teams with each new game
so do any of the guys talk about their teams nfl in general? i bet k.allen will be super happy with your gift man

if the pats have cap space, they are in a good spot
the new cap has forced a lot of tough choicesthis yea and a lot of teams are scratching thier heads about how to keep their best players plus sign their draft pics
was reading on pft about how there will be a lot of d'line tallent hitting the market this off season, but i wonder who will have the money to pick up a lot of it
i like jimmy.g but he has not been the player the 9ers thought he would be because of injury
the nfc.w is going to be hot hot hot this season and im starting to warm up to the the rams new qb
i like jacoby brissett and think he could pan out if given a chance
getting a nice pizza from oggies later tonight, i love my sunday night pizza party (party of one!)
/i also need to get out and get a hair cut one of these days

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
If they play to 11, sounds like baskets are 1pt each and 3 pointers are 2 pts each. Which seems like it places more emphasis on shooting, as 3ptrs are worth twice as much as other baskets instead of 1.5x as much.

Yeah, Pats had to take a year to recover from all their cap hell built up during brady’s last few years, but now theyre locked and loaded and looking to make some solid FA signings. Knowing belichick, he’s not going to want to set the market, he’s looking for value over top tier talent.

Ur absolutely right Pop, Garoppolo has only had 1 healthy season in the 3.5yrs he’s been with SF. He did more than alright, had 4k yds, 27-13 tds/int and they went to a superbowl. I think they can run it back assuming he’s healthy but maybe they want an upgrade in both talent and durability at QB.

Drew Brees officially announced his retirement after a 20 yr career. He’s going to end up #2 behind Brady in most passing stats (yds, td’s, etc) but has never won an MVP. I think the saints are going with taysom hill as their starter over Jameis next year, theyre re-doing hill’s contract and Jameis is a free agent.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
yeah bro actually Keenan is a pretty solid shooter...both 3 and mid range... he's a huge liability on defense though lol I haven't seen Derwin yet since last year.... dude lives like less than 2 miles from me ...we played ball once I swear DJ drained like 9/10 3's in 2 games and he's not a good shooter at all...but his explosiveness like is scary freaky and also his upper body strength is insane... i was around 215lbs and the same Height as DJ and he'd plow thru me on screens and just push me pretty easy ,,, I like the private basketball court vibe... we play alot of games... at the local gym...when the Chargers show up...sometimes so many people would come and play it could take 2 hours to get 1 game in

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
that scoring makes sence baba'; a shot from three point land is harder and should be worth more points
i saw the announcement last night (the one with his kids) and was reading on pft this morning about brees hang in his cleats
first ballot hof all the way and they said he is going into the booth as his next move
i agree that t.hill is next up under center and s.peyton said he wants winston to step up his game
i wonder if the pats draft a qb early this season or are they content with cam?
i think the market is going to reset this season with the new cap so we will see what kind of deals are being cut
with less money to spend in cap space, i think most teams are looking for value this off season

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, well Keenan is an offensive player (WR) so maybe that’s why he sucks on D. But seriously, I’d imagine these pickup games are pretty casual because they’re pro athletes, if they wreck their bodies they could lose millions. I think a lot of pro athlete contracts specifically say that if you get hurt off-duty (playing other sports, riding motorcycles etc) they don’t have to pay you. So it’s like the NBA all-star game, no one really playing defense, and each team scoring 170pts because every shot is open, whether 3pt’ers or drives to the rim.
Derwin is a physical specimen for sure, with linebacker size/strength and cornerback agility/speed. Hope he stays healthy all next season, they might have a top 10 defense if he does. We’ve got about 5 months before training camp opens, if DJ shows up at the gym take it easy on him OK?

The saints are resigning Jameis too, for about 10M for 1 yr with the chance to earn up to 12M with incentives. So it’ll be taysom and Jameis competing for the QB job this fall, not sure who’s going to win that, taysom is the better athlete/runner, Jameis is the better passer but also commits way too many turnovers, I think he led the league in TO’s during his 5yrs with Tampa. If sean payton can get Jameis to control his TO’s that would be an amazing coaching job.

Patriots have signed a bunch of people during the first day of free agency yesterday, no QB’s yet though so maybe they feel good about Cam. But ur right Pop, they could get a QB in the draft too and have Cam in the Fitzmagic/Bridge QB role. Supposedly they could get matt jones at #15 in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rd, ahead of the bears at #20. Im not so sold on Jones as a franchise QB but if the pats do get him and he turns out to be Brady 2.0 I’ll definitely be pissed, lol… Ugh.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
happening baba, hope you are having a great day brother
got ahy plans for st paddies day?
im sure its casual playing with these guys, like you said they cant damage the merch; but they are still in like the top 5% athletically
for them half speed is still a good pace and while they are all just having fun im sure they are also competative as hell
we will see how the chargers look this year, they should still have a top-5 defense, plus a hot young gunslinger under center
hopefully the saints can get the same level of production out ot thill and crab cakes, but drew brees was a monster passer;not to mention his ablility to play "clutch" when he needed to
the saints have a good team built around the qb position so this shoiuld help the transition for either qb, its on them to step up and take the helm
i wonder what the pats plan is going into the draft? im not up to speed on NE and hope someone stops by and fills us in but i think they are not picking up a qb in the first round unless they get some really good value
/another team i would like te get a hot take on is the raiders! where you at subrob?
do you ahve plans for tomorrow baba?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I don’t have any plans for St Pats, maybe drink a little. Chicago has a lot of Irish and there’s an annual southside St Patty’s parade that’s pretty popular but I think with covid that wont be happening this year. Too bad it falls on a weekday, maybe the real partying will happen this weekend, but again, not sure if any bars are open…

Yeah, im sure many NFL players are heavy into hoops, probably a lot of them wanted to be NBA players growing up but decided to concentrate on football instead since that was their best chance at going pro. And it’s a fun game and great way to stay in shape, getting some runs in at the gym, much more entertaining than jogging. But like Storm said, these guys are all big and strong and explosive and could easily hurt people if they went all out, so things like taking charges or swinging elbows or even going for blocks aren’t going to be standard plays with these guys, probably. If everyone works up a sweat, scores a few buckets and goes home healthy, that’s a win.

Jameis is crab legs, not crab cakes, but same difference I guess.
Taysom did alright filling in for Brees in the 4 games he missed last season, but then again bridgewater also did ok when he subbed in for brees last year. Not sure how hill or Jameis will do as the full season starter, but they do have some elite talent (Michael Thomas, alvin kamara) on offense and the O-line is solid enough so long as you get rid of the ball quickly. Still, I agree with you, it’s hard to imagine the saints will compete for a championship without brees under center.

I think cam’s deal with the pats is for 1 year so I think both sides are looking ahead to the future: pats want a long term QB so will probably draft one, and newton wants a long term deal so if he balls out maybe he’ll get a fat contract next season with a different team. Im like 90% sure the pats will draft a QB next month, but whether they get one in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rd or wait for a less heralded guy in the later rounds is up in the air. Jarrett Stidham is still on the roster but I think even belichick realizes he isnt the answer.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
rams just made another trade with det for dl m.brockers, but so far i havent been able to find any terms for the deal
/maybe we get goof back!
cant wait to see how this years free agent market shakes out, especially with the new salary cap
it also looks like market for d.watson is heating up acording to pft and i think he would be that one piece that would turn a few teams around
thats right baba, jamis was caught with a pant load of crab legs, not crab cakes
crab cakes are way different and you make them from different crabs, mostly the smaller ones; while crab legs ar from those big ice water suckers like snow crab and king crab
either way, now i want to eat crab cakes
i think cams second year with the pats will be slightly better, but nothing like the success ne has had over the years
they picked up some guy named tom brady late in the draft and maybe they are hoping lightniing can strike twice
we are still pretty locked down here in san diego so not much going on
hopefully things will start to get better and they open things back up eventually

shithawk420

Veteran
I've lost all faith I might have had in the bears.Dalton is barely better than trubisky.another year down the drain for the bears

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
just read the news hawk, lets hope they are still on the hunt for your next qb and dalton is just a place holder until you can find someone better

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, I think detroit’s new GM used to be the Rams’ director of scouting, so not surprising he’s able to get deals done with his old team. Sounds like they got draft pick(s) for giving them Brockers, who’s a solid D-lineman. Not sure how this will affect aaron Donald, he’s as dominant as anyone but when he’s getting double or triple teamed the other guys have to make the play.
Lol at getting Goof back in a trade. But for real, if he only got paid like 15-20M/yr instead of 32M/yr, that might actually be a fair price for him. Someone who can lead a talented offense to a top 10 ranking, but not good enough to lead a less talented offense to outperform their skill level. I wonder how he’ll do in Detroit. Their #2 WR, Marvin jones jr, signed with the jags, and they might lose their #1, Kenny golladay (babytron) to free agency too. Detroit did sign former chargers and raiders WR Tyrell Williams, fwiw, also former packers RB Jamaal Williams (aaron jones’ backup). Im tending to think Goof is going to have a rough year next season, probably wind up with 4-5 wins and be pushed out by their QB of the future.

I haven’t often had those good, meaty crab legs in my life but they’ve always been good, meat’s a little sweet, little garlic butter, some potatoes on the side, mmm hmmm. I think sams and Costco will sell king crab legs for a decent price, maybe $20-28/lb? I tried making crab Rangoon last year after hearing you talk about it, used canned crab, but the wraps I used were too small and they burst open in the oil, making a huge mess lol.

Yknow, I think cam’s passing stats will improve a lot next year, because they’ve pretty much got an all new receiving corps. They spent big on tight ends jonnu smith (titans) and hunter henry (chargers), signed nelson algholor and Kendrick bourne to deals too. So that’s 4 decent to very good pass catchers, all of whom can stretch the field, along with Edelman, who’s older but if he’s healthy is still a top 20-ish receiver.

I guess that’s the holy grail, finding a hall of fame QB with a last day pick (4-7[SUP]th[/SUP] rounds), but maybe scouting is so good nowadays it’s hard to find those diamonds in the rough anymore. Then again, Minstache of the Jags was a 6[SUP]th[/SUP] rounder and he looked good his rookie year but was up and down his sophomore season last year; I think his ceiling is a fitzmagic type player, a decent starter/elite backup QB. Brady is in a class by himself, literally, from his draft position to # of rings.

I feel ya, Hawk, the bears signing Andy Dalton to a 1yr, 10M deal seems like a waste of money. He’s not any better than Foles or Trubisky, but I guess Russell Wilson was a pipe dream, and deshaun Watson as well. Well, there’s always the draft in April…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
happening baba', hope your day is off to a great start
how was your st paddies day?
went toa buddies neighbors house last night to just hang out and drink his beer, then walked home
while i was wakling, i passed some people outside their house looking at the sky
turns out you could see the international space station in the sky
it was bright as a planet and that thing was booking across the night sky, took less then 3-4min to traverse from almost directly overhead to diaapearing onver the horizon
i read today that the rams will be getting a 7th rnd pick for brockers
i hope im wrong but it looks like a cap move at this point
you are so right that no matter how good a.donnald is he needs at least one other hog up front
the lb position will also need to step up and hope a few you the younger guys can have break out seasons next year
it will be interesting to see how goof transitions to a new team
it sounds like he had better hands around him with the rams but maybe the change of scenery will light a fire under his ass
/otherwise i tihnk you are spot on about him just being a place holder until they find their new qb1
i dont get the kind crab legs that often at the store, but i like to buy the snow crab legs
they are tasty and usually pretty meaty, plus half the price of king crab
i totally remember that rangoon kick and i might have to make some of those one of these days, they are super good and great for snacking
cant wait to see how the off season shakes out and im looking forward to this years draft

Latest posts

Latest posts