What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Smart" Pots.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Anyone use these, those fabric pots? I'm using 2x 1 gallon pots for 2 clones and they are by far the shittiest plants in there. the soil on top dries out to bon dry in a day, but the rest of the pot never actually dries out so my roots aren't spreading. i thought these were supposed to be awesome? so far these pots are ASS for soil. i used them previously with coco with much better success. but you can't water soil everyday. how do you use these dumbass shits with soil?

picture.php
picture.php

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't use them.. I use milk crates lined with landscape fabric /weed block...never had any issues....yeehaw

corky1968

Veteran
I think those smart pots made a dummy out of you. :moon:

The fabric material probably wicks the water and dries out the soil fast.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
no. like i said most of the soil is soggy with the exception of the top inch wich is bone dry in a day. aka. the air flows through and dries out the top but the rest doesn't dry out ever. even after 5 days without water the top 1/3 at best got dry, the rest of it is one big wet clump. i can't water everyday to make sure the top stays moist because the rest of the pot will just get more waterlogged and deprived of oxygen further exacerbating my problem.

corky1968

Veteran
Ok, I didn't know.

I just stay away from new gimmicks in gardening like these pots.

I get a feeling you won't be buying any more either.
Unless of course you can figure them out.

Good Luck

Coughie

It doesn't sound like it's the pot,
It sounds like it's your soil.

If you waited 5 days and only got the top-third of a 1-gallon pot to dry out
It's not the pots fault.

My 2-gallon smart pots are dry in 3 days.
To the point of wilting..

Even my 150-gallon smart pot takes 8 gallons of water every 3 days
So let's not just assume it's the pots fault here..

What kind of soil are you using?

MrBungle

Well can we start off by not calling those smart pots?? Those are some off brand fabric pot... smart pot's material is thinner and stronger than those..Thats not to say those wouldn't work as a root trapper...I would start by adding more airflow lower, across the pots instead of down on em... and water around the edges more than in the middle... check the weight when they are wet, and dry.. so you know when to water... Watering with an aerated watering can will help slow your flow some to water more evenly..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
don't water till pot is almost dry ..rather simple..if there is moisture in the soil the roots will find it...your over watering.....yeehaw

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
they're made by aurora. i think these particular ones are called "root pots" i'll try mulching the top like i read in some other forum, and i guess i'll have to use a lighter mix next time around. this soil mix is like 50% compost, and the rest is either coco or peat, i was doing some transition shit before i potted these. at any rate i got sand and perlite and lava rocks in there (hydroton) you would think there's enough aeration.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
The plants look (and sound) overwatered.

You shouldn't be needing (or aiming) to water 1x daily in soil.

Hope that helps!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
If you are worried about the top inch of soil drying out then why don't you use some mulch material to retain that moisture up top? I have used one or two indoors but didn't care for them because of my application. I'm currently using them outdoors in 15 gallon containers with handles on them and I like these as they are easy to move. I have a thick layer of year or two old leaf mold with a living cover crop growing out of it and everything seems to be rocking and rolling. I would let the pot dry out before watering anymore.

I was curious too, what's with the name change? I figured you would draw more energy from the power of haters.

bigshrimp

Veteran
I just use hard pots until they go in 15 gallons.

Fabric pots dont work all that well in smaller sizes imo and obnoxious to transplant.

Lochinvar

buy thinner, shallower, wider fabric pots. when I made the change from hot-ass black plastic to fabric, I had to water a bit more often. They are pretty hard to over-water. imo, there is nothing worse than a deep small-diameter pot. maybe for lil citrus trees

M

meowmeowmeow

Hmm

Hmm

Meow.......

They're all I use check my prifile for the pictures if you'd like. :tiphat:
I myself have not had whatever issue you have gone through.
I have seen a tremendous difference with my roots with them getting more gas.
Plastic gave me a womb and fabric went thru & thru the medium.
Good luck :joint:

Slipnot

The plants look (and sound) overwatered.

You shouldn't be needing (or aiming) to water 1x daily in soil.

Hope that helps!

Well that all depends right ?? i mean put them plants in a area where its like a oven and yes your going to need to water every day All pots work well i prefer to make my own pots find what ever buckets cut it down and drill holes Yee haw
have a soil in it that has good aeration ,, that is your problem you soil is mud not soil it has no draining capabilities , in other words it holds on to to much water ,,

Here is something simple easy and cheap
1 bag of black earth / top soil
1 bag of EWC earth worm casting
small bag of peatmoss
1 bag of perlite rinse perlite threw a strainer

Dump top soil
then dump bag of EWC
then dump one bag of perlite
mix all together well
then add 8 cups of peat moss mix in and your set plants will grow like mofo water will drain and enough food for plants for 3 - 4 weeks

So IMO take out plant and transplant into new soil mix ASAP second picture is 4.5 weeks from seed in that mixture water only and now sexed and transplanted into ground :)

Attachments

• IMG3691.jpg
    IMG3691.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG3603.jpg
    IMG3603.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 13

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I was curious too, what's with the name change? I figured you would draw more energy from the power of haters.

one of "those" admins didn't like it and changed it...not even violating any rules or nothing...just...admin shit...:tiphat:

i'm thinking i'll transplant them, or most probably just throw em out in my backyard to reveg. but i'm stubborn i'll prolly just keep em in the flower and try and nurse em back after i get a bunch of mulch for the top...there's like all the sand in the world out here, can i just topdress with like an inch of sand? you think it'll work? not much leaf litter around...on account of all the sand in the ground.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
one of "those" admins didn't like it and changed it...not even violating any rules or nothing...just...admin shit...:tiphat:

i'm thinking i'll transplant them, or most probably just throw em out in my backyard to reveg. but i'm stubborn i'll prolly just keep em in the flower and try and nurse em back after i get a bunch of mulch for the top...there's like all the sand in the world out here, can i just topdress with like an inch of sand? you think it'll work? not much leaf litter around...on account of all the sand in the ground.

I would maybe start fucking around some cover crop then? Otherwise get some rice straw or something. I only used that stuff because I had raked it up off the yard for the past year or two and it was nice and loamy and no cost. Check out the cover crop blend from Build a Soil.com. I wouldn't fool with sand, I don't think it will help your cause.

ripswarko

I found when using smart pots or any good quality fabric pot bottom feeding is very useful and effective. Not every watering but every few waterings, fill the saucer the pot is sitting in with your water/solution and just let it soak it all up. It maintains an even moisture level throughout your medium.
Then those little roots will get everywhere.
Good Luck