What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

idiit

Veteran
^^ now that's Malawi gold! :)

it's the cure based on compressed anaerobic conditions coupled with just enough but not too much moisture. this is my take. maybe the corn husk has inherent micro organisms essential to the process? me thinks not.

the compression leads to sweating. the sweating needs compression and damp buds at room temp or higher for a while; duration).I know from picking outdoor buds and cramming them into a bag for transport that by the time I get them back to the house if I have a large bag crammed ( lightly ompressed) bud the bud is hot by the time I get it out of the bag at the house. this hot bud always turns darker during drying; not curing, drying.

I'm wanting tangwena to answer the following question:

do you think the same effects can be achieved by eliminating the cob and just compressing slightly damp bud ( very compressed, slightly damp; stems still limber, bud not crunchy) in a seal a meal vacuum bag, remove all the air ( anaerobic, no oxygen, no air period) with the vacu seal method and then store in a dark paper bag for same length of time as the cob cure with corn husk?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I have done something similar. I harvested some buds, tightly rolled about an ounce or two into some paper bag and tied it so it would not unroll. I stuck it in the hot attic of my garage and left it there for a week or two. When I opened it up, it was perfectly dry and cured. The taste was phenomenal. It turned out that each plant that went into the bag cured to a different color.

The only difference of my curing method was that the bud was wetter going in, and the moisture could go through the paper. I would say that the compression of the buds reduced the ability of oxygen to enter.

ThaiBliss

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi idiit I am no scientist but what you said sounds on the money, I also cure the uncobbed bud by sweating, slightly compressed in a vacuum sealed bag. It does not change color as much for some reason, but tastes good and is stronger than just dried.
The cobs however if you get it right, change the taste, smell and effect of the buds noticeably.
My Ace Malawi buds when smoked had a strong narcotic effect but I could handle it, the cob when smoked initialy gave a very clear high followed by a need to lie down that so bad that it bordered on calapse. I then had about 20 mins of tripping with my eyes closed like paralised.
I could not tell if I was awake or asleep very vivid halucinations in which I was present and directing the actions I took. Eventualy I awoke from this dream state and everything was changed visualy distorted and my voice was in slow motion as were my actions, this lasted 4 or 5 hours.
The Zamaldelica cob just come on instantly and are so trippy initialy that you have to grit your teeth, however they also overpower you for 10 to 15 minutes where I lay on the floor with crazy visions flashing through my mind. But then I snap to and everything appears crazy and fast like acid I have taken. I can never remember anything I do after I come down its exhausting.
The buds from the same plant sweat cured have a similar effect but without the need to lay down and the trip is very clear and comparatively mild.
As space junkOG mentioned in his write up its this knock out part of the high that is only from the cobbed gear, its as if the rush is overwhelming and once the peak has passed you then get into the high which is strong and very long lasting depending on the type of buds you are using.
One comment he made is typical of the reactions I get from seasoned smokers when I give them some good cob, they cant believe its grass and most who grow their own make cobs from that day forward.
As I said I am no scientist I only know the cobs I had in Malawi varied a lot in power but when you got a good one it was the best drug in the world. I never had highs from dry buds even close, strong yes but not the same.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran

Here is a pic of some Zamaldelica compressed vacuum sealed and sweat cured buds and a cob of the same buds. The buds are IMO mild compared to the cob which is overwhelming in its effect.
Tangwena

idiit

Veteran
^ great post. thanks. i'm going to do some cob cures in vacu seal i'll post pics and reports.

the anaerobic condition eliminates the mold issue if i'm understanding this correctly. it also regulates the type of micro herd cure by eliminating aerobic bacteria.

anaerobic bacteria sweat cure. maybe the corn husks add a micro organism that's not on cannabis?

the cob when smoked initialy gave a very clear high followed by a need to lie down that so bad that it bordered on calapse. I then had about 20 mins of tripping with my eyes closed like paralised.
I could not tell if I was awake or asleep very vivid halucinations in which I was present and directing the actions I took. Eventualy I awoke from this dream state and everything was changed visualy distorted and my voice was in slow motion as were my actions, this lasted 4 or 5 hours.
^^ very similar to my 2011 golden tiger smoke report after a 6 month aerobic cure.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi TBliss I very much enjoy your posts on the search for trip weed, it sounds like you got a partial cure like in the Thai sticks I used to get in London, the curing is an art when you get it right its really rewarding.
But its whatever floats your boat in the end. I grew up experiencing very strong trippy weed in Africa and until I started cobbing my best buds, could not ever find anything close.
I enjoy the western jar cured method but find it mild in comparison.
We all just wanna get high in the end.
Regards Tangwena

Morcheeba*

Veteran
Tangwena,

thank for posting this info. i have some that may be too dry but i think ill give this a try.

all my bud has been trimmed from the stems already so not sure if this will be good or bad but i will try this with a few diff. strains in a single cob...Ultra Sonya, Pre98 Bubba, WiFi Alien and Grape Stomper OG will make up the cob.

peace

tangwena. Have you ever tried to make cobs from trim material? if it works, it may make for some great butter or extract. Maybe the heat from the sweating cob would decarb the trim material instead of having to put it in the oven?

Tangwena

Veteran
tangwena. Have you ever tried to make cobs from trim material? if it works, it may make for some great butter or extract. Maybe the heat from the sweating cob would decarb the trim material instead of having to put it in the oven?

Hi mate I have never tried it with trim, I only use primo bud, I think trim is best used to make butter,hash or oil. I have experienced cobs made from low grade buds and it doesn't make them high grade.
It doesn't increase power if its not there to begin with, it just enhances the power.
Tangwena

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
this is such a cool idea , i will try this on some personal stash next harvest.
I do have to say, the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. This looks like mexi brick/shitweed, regardless of what it actually is, feel me ?

No disrespect, I wont say anymore until i try it , but my peeps wouldnt buy this unless i put a kabob skewer in it and i lied and told em it was "thai stick"

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Boyd maybe your peeps need to get out more often ha ha. take them to Africa I think the Africans were curing weed a while longer than us western cultures.
I firmly believe most westerners have been missing out since the 50's and 60's when we all decided we knew how it was done and could teach them a thing or too, we have no idea really.
To be more specific I should say I have no idea really so as not to offend any one. It takes practice like any technique it is very unlikely you will even get close first few times, so patience, its like making wine its so simple anyone can do it, right?
Tangwena

idiit

Veteran
this is such a cool idea , i will try this on some personal stash next harvest.
I do have to say, the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. This looks like mexi brick/shitweed, regardless of what it actually is, feel me ?

No disrespect, I wont say anymore until i try it , but my peeps wouldnt buy this unless i put a kabob skewer in it and i lied and told em it was "thai stick"
^yes. we need to understand and be explicit in our conversations that there are two basic categories; personal smoke, $commercial strains.

right now the majority of consumers base price valuations and desirability on bag appeal. the consumers mostly want the indica dom indoor looking product with some frost and some color. good taste, good bag smell. decent potency. the type of high does not even come into play in most purchase transactions; $commercial.

the personal smoke category is primarily about the one thing the commercial strains don't even consider; high effects.

once the consumers get educated the high effects will become more important in the commercial strain category. long way off me thinks.

picture.php

^ now something like this from tangwena's cob cure ( his pic.) could usher in a whole new age in cannabis; a return of the "day", a blast from the past! :)

this shit could revolutionize cannabis markets. it depends on independently verified results.

cobs however if you get it right, change the taste, smell and effect of the buds noticeably.
My Ace Malawi buds when smoked had a strong narcotic effect but I could handle it, the cob when smoked initialy gave a very clear high followed by a need to lie down that so bad that it bordered on calapse. I then had about 20 mins of tripping with my eyes closed like paralised.
The Zamaldelica cob just come on instantly and are so trippy initialy that you have to grit your teeth, however they also overpower you for 10 to 15 minutes where I lay on the floor with crazy visions flashing through my mind. But then I snap to and everything appears crazy and fast like acid I have taken. I can never remember anything I do after I come down its exhausting.
tangwena post

Full Metal Jacket - Me love you long time - Papillon Soo Soo
.​
ME SO HORNY. ME SO HORNY. ME LOVE YOU LONG TIME. $15.​
'​
^can you imagine extracts of this shit? :)
.​
i'm going to go maturbate now. i'm ssss.... sorry.​

Tangwena

Veteran
To right idiit, when I left Africa I had not seen green buds before and if I had I would have thought they were green as in uncured. Until a few years back I didn't even rate any buds that looked green.
Now i appreciate they have their place, but the high if it exists is crude and rough, the taste can be good, but the high is low class and too stony to my tastes. Its like drinking roughly distilled moon shine compared to a triple distilled whiskey.
I dont want to rubbish others curing techniques, to each his own. Cobs are my prefered way, I have shown you how to do it if you want.
I make no claims other than it makes me fly if I use the right strains and I like flying.
Peace Tangwena

Anonimas1989

Hi, I have tried every way to cure these flowers, I found that some smell like amonia and nothing else, some have some earthy smell, some has sweet smell, I believe it depends on potency of plant and THC content, more thc, more sweet it smell, more you keep it wrapped more earthy aroma it has, correct me if Im wrong. I have tried put few cobs underground for 20days (more will make it even darker I guess), since they are wrapped tight they almost have no mold since mold cannot get in if they are wrapped tight as you can. It became almost black, just need to add few drops of water on the ground where they are buried so some of ground material will go into cob with those drops, it can be few drops, then anajerobic bacteria start its job from inside I guess, it smells like so, just need to realise that too much of water can digest this gold :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Anonimas if your buds underground smell of ammonia they have started to rot, it is why I dont bury cobs. It is easier to vacuum seal in a plastic bag, it also helps them to sweat.
When the buds are dried to the point that you would start jar curing, if you vacuum seal them they will start sweating, and after a couple of weeks if you open the bag they will have become quite wet and started decomposing.
The colors should have turned orange, yellow autumn colors. I have found the color changes are more pronounced if it is compressed in a cob. It needs to generate heat inside the bag to cure properly.
I dont understand the scientific reasons only how to make it occur. Any buds that smell sweet should be kept aside as they will be cured well, the others once dried will be ok as well dont throw them out.
The end result can vary depending on what the buds were like going in.
Its like making wine if the grapes are poor quality the wine will not be high quality, it takes a lot of trial and error but if you follow my method exactly it will give you a good chance of success and you can fine tune it to your taste.
Tangwena