What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

G

GrowsOnTrees

i dunno who is trolling you guys with the thumbs downs on your posts. illogical. here's some k+ to make up for it.

i was wondering same thing...

im new to this forum, but man peeps seem kinda angry here lol...

light one up lol

blastfrompast

Veteran
The middle is an example of something I have been working on lately.

Had a buddy come out who is an experienced smoker, but didn't smoke all day due to driving...

He smoked the last of my faded stuff (smells fruity)....got quite ripped so I count it as a success....but it was the taste he digged.

2 of those buds are WW, one is black domina......fade is WW.

Well what was left of nice big bud...lol

picture.php

St3ve

I have 2 options for you instead of closing this thread.
1. Be civil and debate like a grown up
2. Leave and forget about it

Seriously lets just get along and there is no reason to close this thread!

I hear what you are saying man, but it just isn't that easy. I mean, here you are talking about being civil, but then the post of yours that I quoted earlier was full condescending BS to anyone who doesn't agree with YOUR point of view on the matter.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Wow..I've been in the game for awhile and on IC for almost 2.

Its crazy to think I came this far and didn't know about this. Thanks for all the the great advice, I can't believe Ive been trimming wet this long..

:/

-TSR

B

BasementGrower

it happens.. see I only noticed this at first because.. I had 1 harvest of a SOG with a couple hundred plants.. and the entire room was done at the same time pretty much a day or two.. so I harvested and started trimming. by the time I was 3/4ths done I realized that the stuff that had been drying without being trimmed had retained a lot more smell and flavor....... so then I tried diff ways to see what the deal is.. and I still think dry trim outdoes wet trim every day of the week.. also.. I strip every fan leaf off before I cut down .. so anything that's not being used for hash. is gone before I even hang them.

works great no complaints.. mainly comments about how great it is.. or "hey can u toss that in a jar or a few extra bags I cant be driving around with that"

good luck to everyone I hope u all find ur way to do it.. and come out with some nice buds.

D

DHF

it happens.. see I only noticed this at first because.. I had 1 harvest of a SOG with a couple hundred plants.. and the entire room was done at the same time pretty much a day or two.. so I harvested and started trimming. by the time I was 3/4ths done I realized that the stuff that had been drying without being trimmed had retained a lot more smell and flavor....... so then I tried diff ways to see what the deal is.. and I still think dry trim outdoes wet trim every day of the week.. also.. I strip every fan leaf off before I cut down .. so anything that's not being used for hash. is gone before I even hang them.

works great no complaints.. mainly comments about how great it is.. or "hey can u toss that in a jar or a few extra bags I cant be driving around with that"

good luck to everyone I hope u all find ur way to do it.. and come out with some nice buds.
No offense BG , but it`s posts like this that confuse the novice , cuz what you just typed is the EXACT way I always trimmed , dried , and cured , and you`re calling it dry trim and I`m saying it`s the exact opposite as in "WET"" with everything off the plant that`s green EXCEPT sugar leaves and THEN once finished , the sugar leaves are removed....

I never removed em due to not being in a med state with no competition in the marketplace , but regardless......IME.....

ALL foliage OFF the plants BEFORE hanging and drying with sugar leaves left on , and that`s in a HIGH RH environment , but in LOW RH environments it`s actually better and more conducive for a "slower" moisture removal process that rules the day with the fans left on........

Can`t believe this thread is still goin back and forth....Ya` ll handle it......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:
T

The Sensi Rebel

Wow, for the neg repper, you are a true dumbshit. People are trying to learn here and you just add bullshit instead of providing insight, unlike what most members of this forum strive for...helping each other.
Either help out or piss off, its thats simple

Lrus007

Veteran
i top plant's put a dab of elmers glue on stems.
then let bottoms fill in. then i trim them later.
i then trim leafs off wet and set buds on a screen.
the next day i de stem and put back on screen till
dry. then i put into a tub and cure a few weeks.
i use a screen door. leaf on 1 side bud on other.
under screen door i have parchment paper.
red hairs and kief land on paper added bonus.
well that's how i trim.
Lrus007 :wave:

B

BasementGrower

sorry dhf.. I seem to get caught up reading some1s posts and think ill try to help by posting.. ill rethink before posting.

D

DHF

sorry dhf.. I seem to get caught up reading some1s posts and think ill try to help by posting.. ill rethink before posting.
No worries Bro , but you plainly see that when I`m completely honest and tell it like it is and exactly like it is from both sides of the coin , some new kid on the block STILL gives me neg rep......

Gonna leave this thread alone and let mods see how it does....I don`t think it`ll be long before it`s locked.....

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING that`s pertinent to a proper slow dry , trim , and cure has been discussed and come to a conclusion from BOTH sides so , I see no reason for it to continue , unless all newcomers to the thread read ALL the thread before posting.......

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Howdy growers!

I stuck this thread so you can all reference it in future. Valuable information here in makes it important :)

However, as DHF, our kindly mentor has said, the thread is in danger of being closed... we need to keep on track and keep the disagreements to a minimum, we are all growers and all interested becoming better growers - or we wouldn't be here.

No one is too wise to learn something new. The wisest among us are always learning...especially me.

B

BasementGrower

to any new growers.. or new members to the site.. if ur looking for great info and not lookin for any misinfo... then stick to DHF's advice.. and check out his posts.. hes a very great dude.. whose helped many members.. and is truly a genuinely honest person...

thanks dhf.. and I hope the info here helps the community.

In High RH environments , as well as with large amounts of product to process , it`s best to buck limbs , get rid of ALL foliage to facilitate the drying process , and keep from "rotting" the end product.....

All you folks that live in "drier" areas with lower RH levels , it benefits you to let the fans wrap around the limbs/nuggage and "prevent" premature drying out of said material to "preserve" and maintain proper taste and smell profiles..... once brought under the proper time frames for your geographic location.......regardless.....

Small room growers will always testify that dry trimming is the way , the truth , and the light , but if you ever had a room full of bucked limbs WITH all the fanleaves gone and humidity was STILL 100% with dehuey`s blastin wide open , you`d sing a different song guaranteed......anyways....

Many ways ta skin a mule.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

THIS THIS THIS...just read this guys. I've followed along with a TON of DHF's posts, he helps tremendously and has probably forgotten more than you or I will ever learn.

Rambro

my RH is usually pretty low(20s-low 30s) and my plants are about 8 weeks. at about 7 weeks a clipped a few branches that werent getting good lighting and did some experiementing because my last harvest had shit smell and flavor. tried a couple random methods, but i got the best smell and taste from clipping the branch, clip all leaves without sugar then let it dry until the sugar leaves will break off from touching/pulling and the stems snap but dont break. then you jar and burp like usual. if i trimmed and jarred before this point i got that shit hay smell.

WHAT A GREAT THREAD.. thanks for the info. i knew i was doing it the best way.. lol my nugs have such a potent smell and taste to them.. if i don't use glass i have to put even a gram in like 3-5 ziplocks just to kill the smell.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Maybe I can shed a small amount of light on this coming from a stone dry area.. So Calif during a Santa Ana wind event.. Humidity in the single digits.. No about of leaving leafs on will save your harvest under this kind of condition so maybe that's why I worked out what most seem to be missing.. It's not so much leaving leafs as it is controlling the speed it dries at..
I detest trimming dry as I'm old and my hands cramp and .. and.. just not for me.. Besides picking dry leaf from the bud.. all the good reasons for trimming wet apply.. Hanging under super dry humidity may take just 24 hours for the bud to become stiff to the touch when compressed.. At that point I remove the bud from the branches and slow it's dry in either an Ice chest or trash can.. controlling exposure to outside air takes me about a week to bring it down to the mid 60s humidity.. That is what your trying to do with your dry trim..
Fast dry=grass smell.. Just what works in the super dry SW..
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3112013#post3112013 Simon has a good take on dry-cure

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe I can shed a small amount of light on this coming from a stone dry area.. So Calif during a Santa Ana wind event.. Humidity in the single digits.. No about of leaving leafs on will save your harvest under this kind of condition so maybe that's why I worked out what most seem to be missing.. It's not so much leaving leafs as it is controlling the speed it dries at..
I detest trimming dry as I'm old and my hands cramp and .. and.. just not for me.. Besides picking dry leaf from the bud.. all the good reasons for trimming wet apply.. Hanging under super dry humidity may take just 24 hours for the bud to become stiff to the touch when compressed.. At that point I remove the bud from the branches and slow it's dry in either an Ice chest or trash can.. controlling exposure to outside air takes me about a week to bring it down to the mid 60s humidity.. That is what your trying to do with your dry trim..
Fast dry=grass smell.. Just what works in the super dry SW..
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3112013#post3112013 Simon has a good take on dry-cure

:laughing: on the contrary. I've had my harvest dry in 2 days from Santa Ana Winds, it wouldn't matter if you left the plant in the freaking pot of dirt! that shit would be crispy! Boy was that shit delicious and stinky! Once jarred it had moisture from the stems semi balance the dry-ness and the nugs turned out just fine.

The best way to dry is in a controlled environment so if you are being effected by the Winds is cause like me you tried utilizing that nice cool fall weather. Otherwise with the A/C in the window its been taking me 7-10 days to dry my buds now :joint:

I wish I could be a pro and dry a few days on a dry line in a dark controlled room and then transfer the dry racks to the freezer and slow dry them to perfection... but it'll be a long time if ever to that...

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not both?

Why not both?

I've been into making concentrates recently and it has effected my trimming style/methods.

I learned to trim with my fingers and it wasted lots of valuable trichome heads. Scissors never were fast for me until recently.

These days I harvest and remove the fans with my hands wearing disposable gloves and leaving everything that has frost on it.

Next I separate the plants into sections and begin to scissor trim the leaf tips and ends that do not have resin glands or are nutrient burnt.

Then I dry the buds. Depends on strain/structure 7-10 days.

Upon drying the buds I cut a fresh piece of nonstick parchment paper large enough to fill a standard cutting tray 22"x11".

Later I snip the buds off the stalks of the dried plants onto the parchment leaving some stem to hold onto.

Using scissors and/or my fingers I proceed to dry trim off the large leaves and sugar leaves covered in frost.

I'm always left with amazing finger/scissor hash - sugar trim and well manicured buds.

I used to straight wet trim, dry, jar but thats for lazies or maybe big ops...

I'll have pics latah

greenops

When is a good time to trim, when dry trimming?

Right before the Buds go into jars, or can I start to manicure once the surface is dry, but not dry enough for the jars?

My problem is I don't have enough time to trim all of my 8 plants at once.
So my plan was to hang them whole. When the outside gets a bit crispy, which is about after 3 days of hanging, I will start to separate the buds and manicure them. I may finish 2-3 plants in one day. Ill let the manicured buds dry further in brown paper bags. Then I'll continue to manicure the next batch the following day.

St3ve

When is a good time to trim, when dry trimming?

Right before the Buds go into jars, or can I start to manicure once the surface is dry, but not dry enough for the jars?

My problem is I don't have enough time to trim all of my 8 plants at once.
So my plan was to hang them whole. When the outside gets a bit crispy, which is about after 3 days of hanging, I will start to separate the buds and manicure them. I may finish 2-3 plants in one day. Ill let the manicured buds dry further in brown paper bags. Then I'll continue to manicure the next batch the following day.

what I like to do is to put them in containers while they wait to get manicured.

I have 5g buckets with lids and 14g and 18g rubbermaid containers with lids that I'll use. I will initially hang the plants 7-10 days or so until they feel crispy and the stems bend but not break. Then I will cut them into spears/single branches and depending on size I will put the spears into the buckets or containers. Once its full I will toss in a hygrometer and lid it. Once they are all lidded up I'll take a break for a half hour or something and then check the containers to make sure non of them spiked over 65%.. if yes, then I leave the lid off. If its at 65 or lower I leave the lid on and move it to the "to be trimmed" side of the room. I will start trimming the ones that are ready and leave the lids off the ones that aren't quite there. With the lid on, and a hygrometer going, it will insure that it doesn't over dry or stay too wet and mold and I can spread the manicuring out as long as possible since they are contained.

hope this helps
:peacock:

Latest posts

Latest posts