What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2011, 4.20 Competition LANDRACE category

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The idea sounds tempting, and I'm sure that many would be curious to try while others would like to show what are landraces all about.

A change from clones that win year after year at the hand of different growers would be a welcomed change :laughing:

It will be however, very difficult to know when an entry is really a landrace, as it can have a bit of a modern hybrid, without it being too noticeable.

On the outdoor category, I think it's long due, since we can't compare indoor and outdoors...

And while we are at it, we might want to reconsider the way points are being attributed to, for example "looks": Depending on how they where shipped, some nugs will look better than others, w/out affecting potency.

That's just MHO, and I guess that much will depend on what arrives on time. Having folks indicate that they would be willing to participate should their be a category, might be the best way for the organizors to have an idea of what's coming.

B

mellofello

I'd be really interested to see/ smoke what ever strains got entered into a landrace cup however I don't think there is any point in running it if they arn't all entries grown from seeds originating from the source. What is the point in a landrace cup if you will allow crosses of two landraces? Seed companies like Mr Nice and others release seeds which are not that far from ladrace crosses. Surely the selection process and any focused breeding removes th point of calling them landrace and for me removes the interest.

If you still want to call a cross of two landraces a landrace and think it needes its own catergory to compete in then surely its just a cross that can't compete with other hybrids. Like how the outdoor grown bud that gets entered often can't compete with the indoor buds.

I wish I had access to more landrace strains and in the future I hope to travel, explore and find my own. A greek friend of mine is trying to find me some seeds of the more traditional greek varieties which I think would probably qualify for the landrace catergory. He'll be back in the new year so if there is sucess in finding the seeds I'll do my best to grow some out in time for the cup.

peace

mello

norbyhaze

well, lets go

the first is a southafrican landrace strain, from the land near the Namibian frontier

the next one is an afghani landrace strain

And i also have a thay landrace strain but i have no pics yet.

A landrace is a landrace, if you cross two landraces you´ll get an hybrid so......

stevebucknor1

Landrace refers to domesticated animals or plants adapted to the natural and cultural environment in which they live (or originated) and, in some cases, work. It is really very important to know about it.