What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1° Balconing - APEX: Critical XXL AUTO

Pennello5

Good afternoon G's,

I have been lurking around Icmag since 2011, due to force majeure I have lost the details of the old profile and I don't know how to recover it. For various problems, I left the forum back in the days and eventually I expatriated.

After spending some time in London working as a "slave" and after 5 years I (finally) moved to Spain, to the Balearic Islands to be exact. After a year here and inquiring about the various laws, but especially after meeting a house that would allow me, I decided to put a few pots on the balcony!

I have been kindly given 30+ seeds of Critical XXL AUTO from APEX and a few RQS-Amnesia Haze Fem
I live on a 9th floor, facing south, that means, from 1pm more or less till sunset

Assuming that I have never grown an Amnesia haze, plus feminized plus more on the balcony (many "PLUS" already) do you guys think it will be manageable at the end of flowering or will I fine myself with a monster on the balcony? I know it's not the best plant to grow first time in general, but should I have done? Say no?

I also know that the Amnesia Haze it's quite delicate strain to deal with, specially for first timers like me, because of the mould and fungi problems that comes from a long flowering stage, but I really hope the good balearic weather will help me out, I have faith!

Good point to consider is that from being a slave in London I came to being it in Spain, the situation has not changed so much from there, once all this crazy situation will be over, I dont know how much time I will have to stay behind them..

Just wanted to clarify that I was completely stunned, ok that the techniques over the years advances and all these things, but here we talk about science fiction !! You are crazy guys, let me tell you that, I have seen extractions, cultivations and all we can do with our little ones, HATS OFF boys, really lively congrats, you are heroes!

Happy to be back hanging out around here:woohoo:

Pics are a week old, this evening I'll update with some fresh shot :tiphat:

The 3 bathces have a week differnece between them, from left to right, oldest to youngers:
IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

Pennello5

Nice start :biggrin:

bigger pots ( 14l-20l ) would be better ,

:tiphat:

Hi bibi whats up? nice to see you around

I know mate but with this covid-19 I had plenty of problems getting the some stuff like soil, pots and a few more things so it was the only solution :biggrin: I am actually lucky to have found them, I did start collecting bottles of soda and stuff like that...

El Timbo

I live on a 9th floor, facing south, that means, from 1pm more or less till sunset

Assuming that I have never grown an Amnesia haze, plus feminized plus more on the balcony (many "PLUS" already) do you guys think it will be manageable at the end of flowering or will I fine myself with a monster on the balcony? I know it's not the best plant to grow first time in general, but should I have done? Say no?

Will they receive artificial light at night? You might want to consider an artificial 12/12 using a dark room or cupboard if you have one - or even some kind of dark curtain on the balcony - then you can switch to flower whenever you like.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will they receive artificial light at night? You might want to consider an artificial 12/12 using a dark room or cupboard if you have one - or even some kind of dark curtain on the balcony - then you can switch to flower whenever you like.

Autos shouldn't be subjected to 12/12 lighting. Preferably 18/6, 19/5 (that's our sweet spot) or 20/4, or au natural light increasing a minute or 2 a day. Turn them 1/4 turn every week to get sun on all the plant since you are on a balcony. Good luck!

Pennello5

Hi timbo,

they wont recevie any artificial light, I could use my bedside table lamp but I olny have 15w 6500k cfl, anyway i wanted to use just the sun light, Mediterranean power you know? :laughing:

See ya Timbo

Autos shouldn't be subjected to 12/12 lighting. Preferably 18/6, 19/5 (that's our sweet spot) or 20/4, or au natural light increasing a minute or 2 a day. Turn them 1/4 turn every week to get sun on all the plant since you are on a balcony. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I'am already doing it, since we must stay at home I have plenty of time for them to spend with.

I just see them really small, Monday will be a month, and they're all AF so i am bit worried about a really close flowering stage that would produce nothing....anyway, let's seat and wait,

See you soon Airbud!

El Timbo

I was talking about the Amnesia Haze - are they auto as well?

bibi40

I just see them really small, Monday will be a month, and they're all AF so i am bit worried about a really close flowering stage that would produce nothing....

that' s normal , not enough daytime in outdoor at this period ,
certainly you don' t get a lot ,
in Europe best period for plant auto is May , ( plant the seeds ) , in south of spain too ,
plant some others in one month for get power - plant ,
and if you can do 3 weeks indoor at 18/6 before ... Jackpot :biggrin:

El Timbo

grow supplies

grow supplies

Have you tried grow barato to get pots and soil? I don't know if they deliver to the islands or not but they are very good.

Pennello5

I was talking about the Amnesia Haze - are they auto as well?

No they aren't auto, the Amnesia Haze are regular feminized seeds

Have you tried grow barato to get pots and soil? I don't know if they deliver to the islands or not but they are very good.

From your suggestion I presume you are in spain too, I did tried GrowBarato, Eurogrow and a few more but the shops on the island werent doing any delivery so I had to order from peninsula BUT because of the soil's weight the fees were crazy like 45/55€ for 150lt of soil which cost roughly 60€... I found some on the island but it hasnt been easy at all:laughing:

that' s normal , not enough daytime in outdoor at this period ,
certainly you don' t get a lot ,
in Europe best period for plant auto is May , ( plant the seeds ) , in south of spain too ,
plant some others in one month for get power - plant ,
and if you can do 3 weeks indoor at 18/6 before ... Jackpot :biggrin:

I was expecting definetly much more sun by this time of the year, like the past one, a nice spring started on February, but this year seems to be slower, just bad wether on March a this last week of April its not bringing any joy, but hey, got other 20ish Crtitical XXL and few more, waiting for the hot season to come.... any way what kind treatment do you guys suggest for that/those Amensia Haze Fem? Topping to 8 colas o Mainlining keeping the plant "small" by loosing pleny new shoots in veg?

cheers for coming by Gentlemen :tiphat:

El Timbo

No they aren't auto, the Amnesia Haze are regular feminized seeds

So I can help you with them... as it happens I'm also growing autos for the first time but I have years of experience growing photoperiod plants on terraces in SE Spain - just a little further south than you.

I think the weather will settle down soon - with the photoperiod plants I can get 4 harvests a year. I have 4 x 12 week flowering periods, which gives me 4 weeks wriggle room. I tend to have some plants flowering while the next lot are vegging and I use a dark room for flowering and artificial light at night for vegging.

Topping is a personal choice - I prefer not to for seed grows as I like to see what a plant does naturally.

Pennello5

So I can help you with them... as it happens I'm also growing autos for the first time but I have years of experience growing photoperiod plants on terraces in SE Spain - just a little further south than you.

I think the weather will settle down soon - with the photoperiod plants I can get 4 harvests a year. I have 4 x 12 week flowering periods, which gives me 4 weeks wriggle room. I tend to have some plants flowering while the next lot are vegging and I use a dark room for flowering and artificial light at night for vegging.

Topping is a personal choice - I prefer not to for seed grows as I like to see what a plant does naturally.

Hi Timbo thank you so much for replying, hopefully the weather will settle down soon as you said and things will start to go better..

For the Amnesia's i was thinking to go like 0,5/3,5/6,5/11 to keep sizes down, do some practice with different tecniques and why not, trying to improve yield :biggrin: even do a plant that grows naturally is sexy :dance013:

Pennello5

UPDATE 22/4

UPDATE 22/4

Hi guys, How is it going everything?

My current situation:

IMG_4059.jpg IMG_4062.jpg IMG_4063.jpg IMG_4064.jpg IMG_4065.jpg

And this one has been sacrified to read a couple of guide on training and stuff!

IMG_4066 (1).jpg

See you in a week guys, problems apart:laughing:

Pennello5

Here we go another weekly upload in this quarantine..pics are from yesterday.

5th week for the oldest ones:
IMG_4093.jpg
4th week for them:
IMG_4095.jpg
How one of them reacted to the LST:
IMG_4085.jpg IMG_4097.jpg
This one got bended 2 days ago
IMG_4098.jpg IMG_4099.jpg
And then last but not least, 3rd week for them
IMG_4100.jpg IMG_4102.jpg

We end today's upload, I apologize for the low quality photos I hope you'll get the idea..and since I had some space left on the balcony, I put in water on the 26/4, 2xRQS Amnesia Haze and after only 36h they were both open and one with an interesting rootlet, grounded one and the other one sttil in cotton, probably today in the evening it will end up next to the others.

The plan with the Amnesia is to practice the various Topping and LST techniques, I am considering Mainlining on one of the two, but it is on hold, at the next update chicos!