What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow. How do they look?

spaghettitime

This is my first grow and the one on the left is EEEEE by Mass Medical Strain and the one on the right is Girl Scout Cookies from Humboldt Seed Company both started from seed. They both sprouted on May 10. The one on left I am just lsting, and the one on the right i am lsting and mainlining. I just topped the one on the right for the second time yesterday. They are in 1 gallon pots right now and planning to transplant to either 3 or 5 gallon fabric pots eventually.

I'm using a 240 watt qb that I have been very slowly increasing. Started feeding every three days or so now I feed once a day. Using Advanced Nutrients sensi coco A+B, calmag and silica, as well as Recharge. I've been trying to follow the guide on how much to feed on the coco for cannabis website.

How do they look for their age?

f2obsession

I think they could be a lot more developed for their age, but look perfectly healthy.

In what temperature do you keep them? Do you manage air humidity?

spaghettitime

I've kept ambient room temp about 75-82 F the whole time. I haven't really maintained the humidity it ranges from like 45-60 through the grow but usually on the lower side.

I feel like they have grown slow and are pretty small for their age but I can't figure out why. I tried watering everyday from sprout twice and both times they died of damping off and I got a lot of conflicting info on how much/when to feed in coco. I went with every 2-3 days letting them wet/dry cycle until recently. Maybe that's why? The only other time I tried growing was a couple autos years ago and they also turned out comically small.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Growing in coco or coco/perlite mix is a type of hydroponic growing. Coco provides no nutrients whatsoever, just a medium for the roots to stretch, so they can feed on the nutes you provide. Water daily. And many recommend multiple feeds daily. The coco must be damp/wet all of the time.

spaghettitime

Growing in coco or coco/perlite mix is a type of hydroponic growing. Coco provides no nutrients whatsoever, just a medium for the roots to stretch, so they can feed on the nutes you provide. Water daily. And many recommend multiple feeds daily. The coco must be damp/wet all of the time.

When do you start the daily feeding though? About half the people on another thread were telling me I need to wait even in coco until the roots develop a lot more to daily water and that's why I got damping off most likely. I was told until the roots are developed coco can be over watered and over saturated is bad. Maybe I waited to long to start daily watering? The other half said to start daily watering from day 1. But then why did I get damping off twice?

So even if the next day they seem pretty wet or saturated you would still water to run off? starting day one from seed?

spaghettitime

The EEEEEE looks happier to me.

Yeah I think so too. The gsc looks a little thinner and more stretchy or lanky or something to me. The leaf stems turned purplish too but I'm not sure if that's normal. Not sure if it's just genetics or what. They've gotten same conditions and food.

f2obsession

I've kept ambient room temp about 75-82 F the whole time. I haven't really maintained the humidity it ranges from like 45-60 through the grow but usually on the lower side.

I feel like they have grown slow and are pretty small for their age but I can't figure out why. I tried watering everyday from sprout twice and both times they died of damping off and I got a lot of conflicting info on how much/when to feed in coco. I went with every 2-3 days letting them wet/dry cycle until recently. Maybe that's why? The only other time I tried growing was a couple autos years ago and they also turned out comically small.

Your humidity is too low for the temperature. I think that's why they grow slow. They dont look underfeeded or anything like that. Look at this table, and aim the green zone:

bbm-04-17-2017-resized.jpg

A bigger wet towel with a fan aimed to it can do the trick for a few hours.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
When do you start the daily feeding though? About half the people on another thread were telling me I need to wait even in coco until the roots develop a lot more to daily water and that's why I got damping off most likely.

The roots grow surprisingly fast. My first grows were in full hydro so I got to see it. After a week, they were 6" - 8" long. So, I keep the seed area wet (with nuted water always!) for several days & then after one week, I will water the whole pot. I am no expert but it works for me.