What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tiny yellow holes in leaves.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just came back from a buddy's. Some of his outdoor plants (clones he picked up) have tiny holes like in the picture. I think I used Garden Sulfur powder once to fix it (can't remember).

Anyone know what it is and how to address it?

picture.php
picture.php

Cvh

Supermod
Insect damage? I don't know. It doesn't look like a deficiency or something. More mechanical, maybe chemical burns?
Mystery to me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I agree it looks like chewing damage caused by insects. I'm a big fan of Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew, it has spinosad in it and it seems to work great for wide spectrum insect prevention.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I have the same on two Ayahuasca clones that I have growing. It is all over the plant & new leaves are hit when they appear. No visible bugs on top or bottom of leaves.

Since most of the remedies from the US are banned here (Ontario) & I am loath to use an insecticide on a consumable plant, I have only sprayed them several times with an iso/water solution.

Now I have consigned them to our garden's orphan/invalid section & given up on outdoor growing. PM, budrot, bugs . . . my yard sucks as a growing environment.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I have the same on two Ayahuasca clones that I have growing. It is all over the plant & new leaves are hit when they appear. No visible bugs on top or bottom of leaves.

Since most of the remedies from the US are banned here (Ontario) & I am loath to use an insecticide on a consumable plant, I have only sprayed them several times with an iso/water solution.

Now I have consigned them to our garden's orphan/invalid section & given up on outdoor growing. PM, budrot, bugs . . . my yard sucks as a growing environment.
If you can find something with azadirachtin that is supposedly an ok replacement for spinosad.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Exactly what remedy is banned in Ontario?

I will admit that I really know nothing :rasta: . . . except I do know that our provincial flower is the dandelion because you can't use anything to kill them. I have fired 2 services & I dig them myself now.

I haven't seen Neem available on amazon.ca - except online as a skin product. I just checked & it seems that I can buy Doktor Doom pyrethrum spray & fogger at a local hydro store. But I don't know . . .

picture.php

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just came back from a buddy's. Some of his outdoor plants (clones he picked up) have tiny holes like in the picture. I think I used Garden Sulfur powder once to fix it (can't remember).

Anyone know what it is and how to address it?

(Not his plants, but the damage is identical to that in the attached photos)
Small grasshoppers. At first I thought leafhoppers, however the holes are slightly too large.

https://hightimes.com/grow/help-grasshoppers-are-eating-my-pot-plants/

https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-plant-problems/crickets

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You sprayed something on the youngest leaves that burned the new growth slightly. Maybe an oil or something? The damage at the whorl level (new growth) was probably tiny, but when the leaflet grows, those holes stretch! The give away is the symmetry of the damage, almost the same on both sides.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The give away? I can barely get the lazy bastard to water and feed them. Spray? No way.

They're in 50 year old chicken manure pile. Same place I had Honduran last year and GG4 a couple years ago. Never had an issue there before. And it's only one strain that is affected.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The give away? I can barely get the lazy bastard to water and feed them. Spray? No way.

They're in 50 year old chicken manure pile. Same place I had Honduran last year and GG4 a couple years ago. Never had an issue there before. And it's only one strain that is affected.

Any chance your SOB sprayed them with fertilizer? Maybe at midday?

The first pic posted shows a clear line where towards the petiole there is no damage and then half way towards the tip, damage starts. The second leaf, not sure if it is the same issue unless it was new and fully extended.

How come some of the leaves are wet?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

The first pic posted shows a clear line where towards the petiole there is no damage and then half way towards the tip, damage starts. The second leaf, not sure if it is the same issue unless it was new and fully extended.

Watered when I was there.

I'll get new pics.

Edit: New pics in the first post.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

I get the same thing every year on my OD usually right after they go outside then it drops off after a month or so. nothing sprayed except water from the hose....

it never wipes out any single plant but i usually see this damage on almost every plant somewhere.

my spot is about as wilderness as you can find so I assume there are enough good bugs eating the bad bugs that balance exists and I never spray insecticide on my outs.

I see many different insects on my plants everyday but I really don't know what they all are.
more hard body types outside and they always wipe out the mites or aphids quick if my starts had any issues before they went outside.

I'd love to know what is doing it though, when I water down mu mulch layer every day I spray the plants with a hose to wash off bugs/eggs but that's it.

I think once my plants reach the blowing up stage of fast growth that these insects can't keep up or maybe their lifecycle is complete buy mid July maybe?

picture.php

it seems like you see the spots first and they turn to holes after...
picture.php

overall damage to plant is usually minor like this
picture.php

picture.php

last year I had the same issues but harvest was stellar.
picture.php

'Boogieman'

I get the same thing every year on my OD usually right after they go outside then it drops off after a month or so. nothing sprayed except water from the hose....

it never wipes out any single plant but i usually see this damage on almost every plant somewhere.

my spot is about as wilderness as you can find so I assume there are enough good bugs eating the bad bugs that balance exists and I never spray insecticide on my outs.

I see many different insects on my plants everyday but I really don't know what they all are.
more hard body types outside and they always wipe out the mites or aphids quick if my starts had any issues before they went outside.

I'd love to know what is doing it though, when I water down mu mulch layer every day I spray the plants with a hose to wash off bugs/eggs but that's it.

I think once my plants reach the blowing up stage of fast growth that these insects can't keep up or maybe their lifecycle is complete buy mid July maybe?

View Image

it seems like you see the spots first and they turn to holes after...
View Image

overall damage to plant is usually minor like this
View Image

View Image

last year I had the same issues but harvest was stellar.
View Image

The second picture is definitely leafhoppers.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
The second picture is definitely leafhoppers.

I think the damage is all from the same bugs, I went on safari and found them I think.

doesn't look like leafhopper to me but maybe....
picture.php

perhaps it's the small babies doing the damage or the big one is eating the small bugs?

Latest posts

Latest posts