What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Grower smelling burning wood in grow room no smoke no heat present???

G13Fan

Howdy ICMAG big brains . Q for you , I have 2 T-5 4 ft 2 bulb floros running and 2 basic home depot LED 4 fts as well as 2 2ft leds hanging should not be more than 150 -200 watts . When I enter the room I smell charred wood but no heat on the fuse panel nor smells coming from the lights or the box it seems . Very strange I was wondering if any of you all have ever noticed this and or what could I do to trace this problem ? Very weird !

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
something burning behind the walls? Why wait to see smoke/fire, turn off the lights and investigate the outlet befor you have to call in the fire dept., could get awkward.

G13Fan

something burning behind the walls? Why wait to see smoke/fire, turn off the lights and investigate the outlet befor you have to call in the fire dept., could get awkward.

Crazy rite? Should have burned down days and days ago. I noticed as the weather warmed up a bit I started to smell it. Very strange like etching wood . I will do as you say. Thanks

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check your outlets, the plug, where fluoro bulbs are plugged in. Put set up in a different room/area and see if you still smell it.

Digigig

LEDs

LEDs

I used to grow with UFO lights. I think the LEDs may smell like burning because when I started with HIDs the smell went away. :tiphat:

G13Fan

Check your outlets, the plug, where fluoro bulbs are plugged in. Put set up in a different room/area and see if you still smell it.

I used to grow with UFO lights. I think the LEDs may smell like burning because when I started with HIDs the smell went away.
tiphat.gif
I'm bout ta love dees guise ! Thank you brilliant ones all in the thread. I will do each suggested inspection and report back !

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I always used a separate multiplug thing. You know you plug one end into the wall and the other has 4 plug sockets with its own fuse in it. I'm hoping the fuse will catch any issues before they get to the wall socket.

Funny thing is I regularly panic and think I can smell burning. I'm not trying to be funny with this its been a genuine issue for me. Then I remember I've been smoking in the room. I always feel daft, and wouldn't have admitted it, other than the title of the thread.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to grow with UFO lights. I think the LEDs may smell like burning because when I started with HIDs the smell went away. :tiphat:

No, they don't!!! LEDs definitely do not smell like burned wood. We have several 1200w -2000w on one surge protector....no smell.

G13Fan

Update. It was the LED'S !!! I removed and replaced the LEDs with a 315 w CMH and the smell is gone. So weird just thought I would update

G13Fan

No, they don't!!! LEDs definitely do not smell like burned wood. We have several 1200w -2000w on one surge protector....no smell.

It must have been the cheap brand I used . I had bought 4 ft lights from Home depot in the led section and these were the cause of the burning smell in the room. Since I removed them no smell. So strange !! My eyes also feel better now they are gone. LEDs are destructive to eyes I think.

troutman

Seed Whore
My eyes also feel better now they are gone. LEDs are destructive to eyes I think.

Never look directly into lights. Grow lights will eventually do permanent eye damage so don't look at them long if you do. Safety glasses help. :tiphat:

St. Phatty

A. Be GLAD you can smell it. it's a sign that your nose is working, which is a sign that you don't have Covid19.

In the old days ... like the 1980's, American electronics manufacturers did this thing called "burn-in".

We ran electronic products for 24 hours at the factory as a final quality test before manufacturing.

something tells me that practice went out the door a LOOONG time ago.

B. whenever you buy a new electronic anything, you need to do a burn in at your own home or office, and you need to be present for every second that the new DUT is plugged in. (DUT = Device Under Test)

most of the time, if it sparks - or smells wierd - it will all play out in those first 24 hours of operation.

like many other things, this is one of those things on which few statistics are maintained.

I would bet that a lot of the fires that plague our grow-ops and hash oil operations are related to trusting electronics that has been assembled in China, but not tested ANYWHERE.

by default, You/We, the consumer, are the Testers.

without that testing, some of our grow set-ups are like Rube Goldberg contraptions with electricity & flammable materials.

I'm bout ta love dees guise ! Thank you brilliant ones all in the thread. I will do each suggested inspection and report back !
...and?

Is there a chimney and a wood burning fireplace nearby? My house always smelled like a fireplace on humid days until i had the chimney tuckpointed and a new damper installed.

Circulating warmer grow room air in a space that was formerly unused could bring these type of odors to your attention.

Latest posts

Latest posts