What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low heat and stretching!

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Keep it at 60 cm (~23"). You'll fry them at 40.
That is why the only measurement I respect comes out of a PAR meter. Distance IMHO is nothing more than a shot in the dark. OTOH with the proper tool, you KNOW exactly what is going on.

I simply cannot wrap my head around folks that seriously grow not own one? The F..... pays for itself 1st run!?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That is why the only measurement I respect comes out of a PAR meter. Distance IMHO is nothing more than a shot in the dark. OTOH with the proper tool, you KNOW exactly what is going on.

I simply cannot wrap my head around folks that seriously grow not own one? The F..... pays for itself 1st run!?

It's nice if we all buy the same piece of .... to. Then we can make good comparisons. As that is where we are at really. Accuracy is of less importance.

Apogee is it? they make the mega dollar quantum meters. Whichever you buy, you have to correct the result still. Just as you do with a $10 meter. The correction factors are published, and they can be waaay off. Making it a bit of a mockery spending any more than the $10 required to get a numerical reading. Whats more use, is us all having the same ones.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
It's nice if we all buy the same piece of .... to. Then we can make good comparisons. As that is where we are at really. Accuracy is of less importance.

Apogee is it? they make the mega dollar quantum meters. Whichever you buy, you have to correct the result still. Just as you do with a $10 meter. The correction factors are published, and they can be waaay off. Making it a bit of a mockery spending any more than the $10 required to get a numerical reading. Whats more use, is us all having the same ones.

Good observation :) OTOH, OP has a light, without the assistance of a user manual or a foot print for that matter, he is shooting in the dark so to speak.

OTOH, even with a simple meter, he can measure the light intensity @ height X, and the changes (in intensity) when the other switches are selected. I will take an educated guess here (with this light) that switch one is active during the seedling phase, switch 1 & 2 for vegging, while all three closed for flowering.

When we look @ the recommended umol value for various stages, it is always a range, therefore is there really a need for a "precise" reading? Well yes if you are in a lab using a meter for light development etc... but such precision is not really necessary for growing cannabis, because you dial in your grow commensurate with "your" meter reading, raising or lowering your light accordingly.

When we see Mfrs recommending a distance lets say 18-24 inches. That is quite a spread. 400 umol with my setup and meter. So if Johnny's meter reads 390, is that really significant to us? Not really, as I dial in my light by clicks not inches:

• cutting/seedlings ~ 100-200 umol;
  • clones ~ 100-200 umol;
  • Veg ~ 300-425 umol; and
  • flower 700-1200 umol, with CO2 enrichment above 1K umol.
My rationale behind owning one is quite simple. Why not eliminate "one" factor of the equation, considering all the other pitfalls of growing e.g nute deficiency, VPD, etc... :tiphat:

mimistow

Good observation :) OTOH, OP has a light, without the assistance of a user manual or a foot print for that matter, he is shooting in the dark so to speak.

OTOH, even with a simple meter, he can measure the light intensity @ height X, and the changes (in intensity) when the other switches are selected. I will take an educated guess here (with this light) that switch one is active during the seedling phase, switch 1 & 2 for vegging, while all three closed for flowering.

When we look @ the recommended umol value for various stages, it is always a range, therefore is there really a need for a "precise" reading? Well yes if you are in a lab using a meter for light development etc... but such precision is not really necessary for growing cannabis, because you dial in your grow commensurate with "your" meter reading, raising or lowering your light accordingly.

When we see Mfrs recommending a distance lets say 18-24 inches. That is quite a spread. 400 umol with my setup and meter. So if Johnny's meter reads 390, is that really significant to us? Not really, as I dial in my light by clicks not inches:

• cutting/seedlings ~ 100-200 umol;
  • clones ~ 100-200 umol;
  • Veg ~ 300-425 umol; and
  • flower 700-1200 umol, with CO2 enrichment above 1K umol.
My rationale behind owning one is quite simple. Why not eliminate "one" factor of the equation, considering all the other pitfalls of growing e.g nute deficiency, VPD, etc... :tiphat:
A par meter does cost about 300-400 euros .I dont have that kind of money right now .

bigpeter

get a par app for your phone, I have one on my iphone, its not the best but it does give you some idea about your par

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A par meter does cost about 300-400 euros .I dont have that kind of money right now .

You don't necessarily need PAR meter. Keeping the proper distance between your grow lights and your plants is important for robust photosynthesis and growth. Plants will reach for the much-coveted light source just like they grow towards the sun in outdoor conditions. Increase the distance between the top of the plants’ canopy and the light source as the wattage increases.

See illustration.

Attachments

• 496491045_063.jpg
    496491045_063.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
As stated you don't need to own a top of the line one. But unless you get a grip on what's going on with this grow... it is simply money down the drain.