What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fabric pot issues

Using fabric pots....#1. Have a bit of algeq forming on sides....is this ok?

#2 roots beginning to come out bottom

#3....need ideas for some pot platforms and drain trays..not paying 80 for a botnacare tray...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Using fabric pots....#1. Have a bit of algeq forming on sides....is this ok?

#2 roots beginning to come out bottom

#3....need ideas for some pot platforms and drain trays..not paying 80 for a botnacare tray...
What stage are your plants in?
Are they sitting in standing water? I use a grill (ceiling fluo light grill 1/2x1/2" squares).
What medium are you using?

Coco

Coco

Using coco in fabric pots....they aren't in standing water long...as i have to pump waste every day until i figure better system....which i think i have....10 x 20 inch trays with drilled holes for drainage....fabric.pot in tray then clay pellets filled...these will sit on a 40 x 18 inch tubber ware to drain....here are pics

Attachments

• 20200423_055053.jpg
    20200423_055053.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 26

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
The reason I asked if the pots were sitting in standing water was due to your statement "roots are coming out the bottom = due to water being there and the lack of relative light. Under normal circumstances, bottom roots stop at the edge of the pot, just like the sides, as soon as the root comes into light, and back bud.

I never heard of cloth pots being used with coco runs. Coco dries fast on its own. By growing in cloth pots, you are accelerating that process.

Yes

Yes

Yes sir...i been growing hydro many years and now my 1 st coco run....i custom buffered my coco and fortified it....i am getting very very fast growth....faster than expected....i done about 15% coarse perlite and 15 % geolite....its gping very well....now themroots are getting crazy.....

Im gonna bury em in clay pellets and set them in trays on a res that will collect run off....

You ever re use your run off?

Im using all dyna gro with some class 1 phenos...i have hps cmh..samsungs..and cobs..and got a new.chilled logic growcraft x3 for.flowering.....im gonna finniah with uva last 2 weeks and maybe a 10k cmh with violets...hortilux hps..of course....im really.liking coco...and maybe want to move to slabs or....a coco and geolite mix that sits atop a resevoir....keeping it interesting!

Temps during day. 81. At night 68

Dos si do 33 barneys farm
Whitw widow. Seedaman

Purplenqueen royal queen

Northern light #5

Amnesia haze....
And...thays it...

You coco guys had it right.whole time....

My philosophy is frequent feeding....fast draining...constant but precise input of.nutes....

But this damn algea...ots a small deal now.so i gotta somehow handle it...

Pics

Pics

Here. Im gotta putem inctrays with clay rocks

Attachments

• 20200423_201513.jpg
    20200423_201513.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200423_201501_HDR.jpg
    20200423_201501_HDR.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35

bigpeter

You'll find as the plants get bigger less light will penetrate to the pots and algae will not be able to grow. Algae itself will not cause any problems apart from being unsightly. Coco drain to waste is IMO the best growing medium I will never use anything else.

Roots growing out of fabric pots is normal. Algae is too. I've tried different things in the past (algicides and setting pot in larger plastic pot). Both worked but like someone else said its not terribly bad. I think the algae does eat some available nutrients so.....But once canopy developed and light penetration is reduced algae subsides.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
build a little runoff table to collect and recycle the runoff, or dump it. i recycle mine since im in the desert and i have to bring water in since my well water blows. i build tables with corrugated greenhouse panels cut to size with a slight pitch do divert the runoff into the res.

Latest posts

Latest posts