What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

40ft insulated reefer grow

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro....Stop beatin yourself up over a new setup that ALWAYS has a learnin curve.....All you can do is move forward and keep CO2 levels lower across the board ESPECIALLY during lights off since that`s when the plants do most of their work in the flower stage till end of cycle..... now.....

It`s been noted that with LED setups , the plants metabolism increases and thus needs increased temps AND CO2 ppms , so THAT in and of itself aint the norm with all the HPS and CMH head pot snobs that swear by Almighty Jeebus elevated temps kill terpenes and resin production , so anything over 78 degrees F is blasphemy ….For the record.....my rooms ran mid 80`s on and mid 70`s off with dialed results yield and terp wise for over 20 yrs . so see ?.....things that make you go hmmmm…..and.....

What you gotta do is control environment lights off to the best of your ability while figuring out what lights ON temps the plants need to be happy and blastin off during stretch period that`s 40% of the flower cycle as well as dialing feed requirements IF the plants show deficiencies.....then.....and MOST importantly...…

Keep lights on and lights off temps within 10 degrees or less and THAT has always controlled my stretch with ambient CO2 ppms constantly in the 750 range with air exchange twice per minute , but as far as swellage and airy buds , that sounds more like a heat issue rather than CO2 , although ……

I`ve never run CO2 supplements , the rule of thumb has been determined to be 750-900 ppm`s with C3 classification plants that pot falls under , and not those crazy ass 1500 ppms and up the hydro whore manufacturers started yrs ago when they found out propane greenhouse heaters caused winter crops to be the highest yields of the yr from CO2 being the byproduct of the propane thus creating the " AMAZING CO2 Generator "….. so , dunno…..anyways.....and lastly.....

You Are da man DH look how far you`ve come since we first started talkin yrs ago , so you got plenty NOT to bitch about and remember my Sig......Knowledge is power......Adapt or perish.....Take care and keep strokin…..

Peace......DHF.....:ying: …...

mcattak

No reason for the extraction in this market.

You should be able to get 18/20 for those units

Dry as fuck these days

Bwanabud

i know i sound like a massive complainer lol but i am not at all happy with how this round turned out. some of it was definitely my fault for sure. the buds stretched super bad and never quite filled in. i am thinking it was the co2 late in flower that did this. none of my other strains did it all. they were put into the container after the co2 had been lowered, or were flowered in a different room.

i took the airy buds and squeezed them a little in vacuum bags and they actually shaped up nicely. they are still very spongy but they are still a bit moist yet. i think it will be ok for the most part overall but will make more steps for me in the long run. the other strains i ran in there are rock hard. they went in after the co2 was lowered way down. it's either that, or the one strain in particular just didnt do well for me.

the single bud horizontal is the pressed GG. the left one on the pink lid is the pressed gg, and the other is the rock hard purple zkittles. the one in my hand is the same PZ

I'd be a little disappointed in that load also, although I've certainly had worse harvests. We work so hard at "perfect" grows and always looking for the Holy Grail answer....only to beat ourselves up when the girls disappoint us.

My biggest struggle is the seasonal variances that alter uptake and room conditions, they massively effect the outcome of my grows...constantly chasing the moving coconut shells looking for the little red ball underneath. It's a frustrating lesson in dedication and patience, we tend to be our own worst critics :tiphat:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Thank for all the words of encouragement. i think next round i am gonna do more of a SOG in there. i need a more manageable canopy for sure. i had 28 in the row but i think i am gonna up it to 60 per row and cut my veg time way down. my mothers are getting big and healthy, and are just about ready to be stripped of all their cuts. i hope this round goes better than my last attempts lol. i have a commercial atomizer coming that will help me apply fungicide and insecticides more thoroughly.

i had received some cuts that brought in some nasties with them and its been an uphill battle ever since.

i will get updates on all the finished stuff when it's done. my life is a little hectic right now. too many irons in the fire.

Bwanabud

I use pvc pipe for racks, with .080 weed wacker line for the grids....then add collars on the bottom to use extension pieces to raise or lower racK height depending on strain/stretch...but there's lots of way's to skin a cat

HL45

Veteran
Stoked to see ya still running DH!.. saw DHF post on another thread and followed him over here.

I've been thinking about container grows for years.

My bro bought a rec grow that had several of those insulated reefer containers with walk in fridge doors that were cut into the side. Was a slick install.

I always thought it would be cool to compartmentalize a container into several rooms.

Hope your doing well.

You ever thought about firing up a PPK again?

roybart

85 degrees sound good

85 degrees sound good

It`s been noted that with LED setups , the plants metabolism increases and thus needs increased temps AND CO2 ppms , so THAT in and of itself aint the norm with all the HPS and CMH head pot snobs that swear by Almighty Jeebus elevated temps kill terpenes and resin production , so anything over 78 degrees F is blasphemy ….For the record.....my rooms ran mid 80`s on and mid 70`s off with dialed results yield and terp wise for over 20 yrs . so see ?.....things that make you go hmmmm…..and.....

I have seen weed in kisumu in kenya grow in temps that range from 85 to 95 and have 12 hours days all year round as its right on the equator. The farming style was rustic to say the least. And it's humid all the time..

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Stoked to see ya still running DH!.. saw DHF post on another thread and followed him over here.

I've been thinking about container grows for years.

My bro bought a rec grow that had several of those insulated reefer containers with walk in fridge doors that were cut into the side. Was a slick install.

I always thought it would be cool to compartmentalize a container into several rooms.

Hope your doing well.

You ever thought about firing up a PPK again?

glad to see some familiar faces in here. i think about doing the ppk with coco all the time. i hated washing the turface and i think coco perlite is a fantastic grow media. i dont know if it would be the best move on my part. I am legal for almost a hundred plants and theres no way im getting anywhere close to that many PPK in there. i have ideas, but i think they are all bad ones lol. i need something that is scale-able for the future. i think SOG is my best bet for now.

I am about to take a bunch of cuttings today or tomorrow and get set up and sterilized for the next round.

i have to drive over to LA to pick up a damn dehumidifier. I fucking hate driving in LA. im gonna have to spring for one of the big boy dehumidifiers. i have no other option at this point. i have to run sealed since it will soon be triple digits consistently, and 90s at night

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ok so i took some time off to beat myself up but now its time to get back in the saddle and move on. I am moving stuff around so that every phase of the grow will have its own area. i have been sharing spaces for far too long and its messing everything up bad.

right now i have a baby lab setup in my veg room so i have to be careful about spraying stuff around my lab gear. I am getting that stuff moved out to another room so now i will be able to fog some preventative fungicides and pesticides without fear of contaminating all my gear. I think if i can heavily pre-treat my veg plants and then spray up until week two of flower i should be good to go.

does anyone have any advice on what to spray in the container to kill everything when there are no plants in there? I am going to spray some nasty shit around the outside and underneath it, but i also want to have a protective layer on the inside and start with a clean slate.

here are the mothers that went in there towards the end of that last horrific run that i never want to see again. as you can see these plants look pretty normal in comparison. The other plants looked impressive but it was all a charade. they are larfy as all hell. i wish i had access to a lab where i could just extract it all and move on.

i think these plants only have about 3-4 weeks left. i will have to check my calendar.

photo upload isnt working so i guess you will have to use your imagination

cyat

Veteran
Dh,

Maggie’s farm natural bug spray from casa de pot . I spray the bottoms and tops of my pots too and my clothes and shoes .

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
If you don’t mind I will pull up a bucket. Looking good, I like the set up. The atomizer has helped me a lot with achieving full coverage and eliminating problems.

Drop That Sound

I like to bomb my grow trailer out with hot shot no pest strips before I setup. No spraying or anything, just hang more than the usual amount of strips with a fan on low to circulate the air around. Then close up for at least a week. Doesn't leave a protective layer, but gives me a peace of mind like everything that couldn't crawl out (in every nook and cranny) is dead by the time I go back in. Probably would stick 5-6+ of them in a dry van.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i am sort of back and gearing up for a proper run. ive got a hundred or two clones going so i will have pick of the litter soon. i had some purple punch that turned out phenomenal and will be putting out 20 of those. i have 30+ small seed plants running to look for new keepers. after that i am done with seeds for a VERY long time. i need to pick a few and dial them in. hell, i need to pick one and dial it in lol. i can rotate genetics every 2nd harvest to keep things new and fresh. i picked up a tissue culture kit for long term storage of genetics so i can clear up some room.

i bought a custom size fabric bed for a living soil no-till bed. I am being encouraged to pursue 100% organic by a perspective employer so i am gonna give it a whirl and go all in. i will give him a true side by side of super expensive living soil vs coco head to head and see how they compare. I am buying 4 cu yds of biochar soil from Kis Organics in WA. it is absurdly expensive, but it is a one time investment and to be reused again and again. i have been diving deep into the world of living soil, microorganisms and the like for the last few months and it is time to put all my reading into practice.

The bed is grass roots custom made 3 x 30 x 1.5 deep. I will only be filling to about 12-14 in of soil and the rest underneath will be gravel for aeration/drainage. I am fully expecting smaller yields at first until dialed in. hopefully there will be a noticeable difference in quality but i have my doubts. the lab results will tell the tale i guess. I will be setting up a Blumat soil bed system on a pressure pump for automated watering. i have a digital moisture meter on the way in order to provide the optimum moisture level at all times.

half of the clones are rooted and ready to rock. some are in their final 6" square pots and will be moved into the coco side in the next two-three weeks. the soil is coming via freight and will not be here for a week or two.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i still havent figured out how to add pictures yet on the new setup otherwise i would post some progress lol.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
lets give this a go. if it works you should see a before and after of my experimental laid down rockwool plants. Next up is a shot of the grassroots custom made fabric bed made for living soil, filled with 4 cu yds of KIS Organics biochar soil. for the price i paid this better be the rolls royce of soils. i was told it was top notch and since this is my first go with living organics/no till i figured go big or go home. There are 5-6 strains in the rockwool all from seed to phenohunt.