What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help for novice in hydroponics (dwc system)

S

Simohero

Hi guys, I will describe my setup and maybe my problem. I grow an AF in a dwc system, capacity 15 liters, but I run it with 10 liters.
The plant is now 24 days old, and pre-flowering has started for 4 days.
Lighting is provided by a 175w led (65w effective) and two Philips 6500k led bulbs.
The grow dimensions are 40x40x120.
The nutrients are GHE's Tripack and I am giving 1/4 of the recommended dose.
My problem is that the part of the exposed roots are turning green, could this be bad? The water temperature is 21.9C (71F) and the oxygen pump supplies 240lt/h.
I hope I posted in the right section, Sorry for my English.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_145227.jpg
    IMG_20200418_145227.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200418_145215.jpg
    IMG_20200418_145215.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200418_145145.jpg
    IMG_20200418_145145.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200418_145149.jpg
    IMG_20200418_145149.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200418_145158.jpg
    IMG_20200418_145158.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 22

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
your english is fine brother, we get what you are talking about
it sounds like you have algae growing on your roots
its usually caused by too much light in the root zone area
it looks like your bucket is white so you could try covering it in a dark material
also,change your water and add a little h202 to the mix

S

Simohero

Thanks bro, I also thought of green algae.
You're right, the vase is white, I tried to cover it with aluminum foil, but probably a little light enters. Could it harm the plant? Thanks for the advice, could you tell me the quantity of h202 to dissolve in water?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
algae dosent really harm the plants so much as it competes with them for nutrients
yours dosent look that bad
start with a fresh reservoir (fill to 10l) then add 10 ml of h202 to a liter of fresh water and add that to the mix
you can always add more if this dosent work after a few days, but i like to go light at first

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Hi guys, I will describe my setup and maybe my problem. I grow an AF in a dwc system, capacity 15 liters, but I run it with 10 liters.
The plant is now 24 days old, and pre-flowering has started for 4 days.
Lighting is provided by a 175w led (65w effective) and two Philips 6500k led bulbs.
The grow dimensions are 40x40x120.
The nutrients are GHE's Tripack and I am giving 1/4 of the recommended dose.
My problem is that the part of the exposed roots are turning green, could this be bad? The water temperature is 21.9C (71F) and the oxygen pump supplies 240lt/h.
I hope I posted in the right section, Sorry for my English.

your english is fine brother, we get what you are talking about
it sounds like you have algae growing on your roots
its usually caused by too much light in the root zone area
it looks like your bucket is white so you could try covering it in a dark material
also,change your water and add a little h202 to the mix
I recently ran into a video of someone having the same issues (read had) He painted the outside of his buckets and lids with black spray paint. Solved the issue. There is a reason why hydro buckets are black :tiphat:

Fixer

If I can't buy black containers I spray paint the outside with black paint. The green algae doesn't grow without light.

S

Simohero

Thanks to both of you, I will follow the advice for h202. To answer I'mback, when I finish with this plant I will paint the pot with black spray.
For now the water is not infested with algae and the bath roots are white.
For the rest, how does the plant seem to you?

S

Simohero

Hello guys. I have another question; can I put a bottle of ice water in the solution, reach a temperature of 19/20C (66/69F) and then remove it? Or do I risk a thermal shock to the roots?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Thanks to both of you, I will follow the advice for h202. To answer I'mback, when I finish with this plant I will paint the pot with black spray.
For now the water is not infested with algae and the bath roots are white.
For the rest, how does the plant seem to you?
In buddy's video... he had a spare bucket and used that alternatively, to paint the "in use buckets". From what he was saying he had to act, because he knew it would only get worse. So if you can do that. I recommend you do it :tiphat:

S

Simohero

In buddy's video... he had a spare bucket and used that alternatively, to paint the "in use buckets". From what he was saying he had to act, because he knew it would only get worse. So if you can do that. I recommend you do it :tiphat:

Okay, I'll try to provide as soon as possible. I think the paint dries quickly.
And what do you think of the possibility of adding bottles of ice water?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
And what do you think of the possibility of adding bottles of ice water?
It's generally called the "pop bottle shuffle." Several pop bottles of water are frozen. Put one in until the temp drops, then pull it out and put it back in the freezer. If this is the only way to control temperatures of the reservoir, look at changing your hydro system. Ebb and Flow or Drip through coco or pebbles will not have temperature problems like DWC.

The link in my signature on tending your reservoir is very helpful for dwc. :)

S

Simohero

Hi Douglas, thanks for the reply, in reality the water temperature hardly exceeds 23C (73F), but for safety reasons and to increase dissolved oxygen I had thought of this solution. I will definitely read your thread!
I attach a photo of today's roots, compared to yesterday many new roots have come out of the pot, is it a signal that something is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_195712.jpg
    IMG_20200419_195712.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 21
S

Simohero

What are those 4 green strands coming out of the net pot?

Hi I'mback, as I said yesterday, those green roots are the reason why I asked for information. The roots exposed to the air have taken on that color, while those that are in the water are still healthy and clean for now.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
the algae wont grow as well underwater so the roots below the water line should be good
/thats part of why i suggested raising your water level a touch (11l instead of 10l)
i dont think you need to cool your reservoir temps, 23c is good

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
i dont think you need to cool your reservoir temps, 23c is good
After nearly 20 years of indoor DWC, I have a hard time with that statement. Good it may be, but trouble free for everyone it is not. Trouble free, as in you never even have to think about 'problems' in the res. The world is an infinitely variable place, so what works for you can be disaster for your neighbor.

Trouble free DWC temps are between 65F/18.33C and 69F/20.5C. Any other temp ranges and your chances for issues are very good.

Below 65F/18.33C and the plants will have nutrient uptake issues which will lead to deficiencies. Above 69F/20.C and dissolved oxygen levels drop significantly while conditions become wonderful for bacterial blooms.

Controlling your DWC temps are foundational to great quality and harvests. :tiphat:

S

Simohero

Good morning guys, the radical new growth continues very quickly. I used the "pop bottle shuffle" system and I managed to bring the water temperature down.

S

Simohero

I also purchased a new air rubber diffuser, because they pointed out to me that the air stone I have is small and may not oxygenate the solution well.