What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mother plant in stasis

Im'One

Oldtimers cloning thread (where ever it is) talked about putting a mother into a suspended state, not dead but in a bonsai state of suspended growth. Anyone know how to do this?

G

I do bonsai moms and that would be nice. Im constantly having to trim them back. When you have limited room and try to keep a selection of strains its a pain.

T

TakenByTheSky

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=31919

I don't do bonsai mom's myself necessarily. What I do is keep them in a small pot, give them just enough food to keep them happy, trim and supercrop and reclone and start a new mom every few months.

I don't like to keep q mother plant for an excessive period of time because when I've done so for too long a gnat out break or root illness can happen and you end up losing the mother. I find it better to keep a rolling fresh one

T

TakenByTheSky

I do bonsai moms and that would be nice. Im constantly having to trim them back. When you have limited room and try to keep a selection of strains its a pain.

You could always try grafting multiple mother strains on to one root stock, never done it myself but I've seen others do it when they are worried about plant numbers.

G

You could always try grafting multiple mother strains on to one root stock, never done it myself but I've seen others do it when they are worried about plant numbers.
I recently saw a thread on that topic. Looks really interesting and I may get brave and try it at some point.

Im'One

Right now i have an ace bubba hash mom and a romulan grapefruit mom. Bubba has already produced twelve cuts, narrowed to the six best. They are a month old and she is read to cut agian, maybe 15 or more this time, romulan is ready for her first cut and can easily do ten cuts.

Im'One

Bubba hash is not my favorite but is near the top, indica body stone and a dreamy cerebral high. I had taken some as a gummie and "woke up" to go pee, but my mind was still dreaming...i sat on the edge of the bed but could see myself reaching for a brass door knob, and saw some one reaching over and pouring water in my hand as i turned the knob. Almost pissed my pants.

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=31919

I don't do bonsai mom's myself necessarily. What I do is keep them in a small pot, give them just enough food to keep them happy, trim and supercrop and reclone and start a new mom every few months.

I don't like to keep q mother plant for an excessive period of time because when I've done so for too long a gnat out break or root illness can happen and you end up losing the mother. I find it better to keep a rolling fresh one

Interesting, that makes a lot of sense actually. We've all had that buddy that takes terrible care of his moms but sometimes you need a cut. Then you have to nurse sick clones back to health and baby them.

I like the idea of having a fresh plant going, you avoid tons of those problems that come with neglected moms.

I wood

I like the idea of having a fresh plant going, you avoid tons of those problems that come with neglected moms.

My experience agrees with this.
Oldest plant is coming up on 22 years old and still vigorous and healthy, gg#4 from 2013 is also strong as when i got it.
Clone of a clone has worked well for me.

Small plants on the edge of light footprint, especially on the cold side of room in winter, grow slowly for long periods of time. They can get sad looking sometimes after a few months but put out new healthy growth in a week or so after being up potted.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
20yr old cut of ECSD was super healthy. Lost her due to the short term memory issues ECSD gives me. lol

This also works very well in hydro DWC, as long as you trim and rinse the roots in a different reservoir. (Keep the mum/dad res clean of root bits, yeah?) :) Expect a lot more trimming, much more often, with hydro mums/dads. ;)

Crazy Chester

Oldtimers cloning thread (where ever it is) talked about putting a mother into a suspended state, not dead but in a bonsai state of suspended growth. Anyone know how to do this?

Like superpedro pointed out - keep 'em cold!

By cold I mean root temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Couple that with feeding less nutrients than you would for a mother plant that's actively growing - otherwise you'll burn your plant up. I've kept mothers alive in a state of apparent dormancy for at least six months this way (pretty much during every winter). As the weeks of dormancy proceeds, her leaves will get lighter and lighter - you need to feed her just enough to keep her alive, but not enough to be toxic to her in her very slow growing dormant state.

Then, when you are ready to get her producing clones again, you can just warm up the root system and then you can gradually start increasing nutrient levels after you see a bit of growth in response to the warmer roots. Also, if the roots have completely filled the container you have her in, you may want to trim them (as Douglas Curtis suggested) when you are ready to bring her out of her dormancy.

acespicoli

I was looking to start a new thread when I found this, im interested in doing some mom's
You think a 100 watt led panel would do for a mom ?
I used to have a 100watt COB it did ok CREE 3590
Whats the lowest watt most bonsai size most economical
Think haze mom too

Greenheart

Veteran
Bonsai Grafted Mum's be the way to go imo. Be sure to make some tags for your graft sites that don't fade when you foliar feed.

The closest thing I've seen to stasis is re-vegging. As the plant goes into a bloom cycle it starts to tighten it's nodes and bud up. This takes a couple 2 or 3 weeks to really onset. When you revert back to veg cycle it takes another 2-3 weeks for this to happen. If you were to time your cycles so that it kept going in and out of bloom and still provided clones when you need it too then that might work. I do not know if that would have any ill influences long term such as hermaphroditism.

For grafting and mothering purposes it might be ideal as the branching is a lot like super-cropping and L.S.T. subjects. I currently have a healthy dispensary clone that started going into a bloom state during winter on natural lighting then re-vegged under lights before it got too far in. I then bent her sideways as she came out of it and started spreading all the runners. I used some microtips two days ago and trimmed her out to the shape I was seeing the main growth nodes take. There is a really dense canopy that comes with a re-veg so you will find lots of options for clone material and new graft sights.

Another thought I had for playing the numbers game was grafting a few clones together after they rooted out. I was thinking on shaving a bit of each side and then binding 3 of them together for 3 main tops and a robust stalk. Not sure how it would work timescale wise versus single clones but for those of us with very limited numbers it could be an option.

I have not bloomed out any grafted moms. I only had one and sadly things happened that I no longer have her. I was considering the prospect of it and theorizing with a buddy that using the longest blooming plant for the base was likely the best possible course. I would find a good haze or something to start a B.G.M.

If you are not a purist I found superglue works great for grafting. I then bag it with a ziplock and mist it every so often until it starts stay upright without the bag creating a minidome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts