What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST TURBOKLONE 1ST CYCLE COMPLETE FAILURE

TheDarkStorm

Yesterday was Day 14, I saw 2 cuts had roots and they were very small single thin strand and not that healthy-looking - and a day later one actually fell off so Im down to 1. All of the cuttings aren't slimy or rotten, just no roots, and wilting now with the dome removed for 24 Hours after D14 yesterday.

Cuttings
6 Different strains, 4 cuts each. 24 Sites completely full. I know a few cuts are from plants a few weeks into flowering. I didn't expect these to root, but I didn't have them backed up and wanted to at least try, so I don't lose the genetics (story of my life). But the majority is from healthy plants in veg.

Lights
18/6. Turboklone is set up underneath a 4' fixture of 2x17 watt led 4K tubes. You could say that it is underneath 1/2 of this area at most so 1/2 of 34w is 17W. 4" from tubes. Lumen meter shows 10-12K Lumens.

Resevoir
TAP is 220PPM, added 100ppm of REMO bloom/micro nutrients, adjusted PH to 5.6. No Hormones, as I wanted to keep things simple with what I had here, and I have heard plenty reports of it really not making a difference for many people. Changed RES at Day 7, this time adding a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide (3% strength). Completely washed out the RES and all parts with soap and vinegar at res change.

Humidity
First 7 days I kept dome on getting 90-100% humidity, taking it off for an hour per day
Day 7-14 I would remove it for 2-3 hours at a time, then put it back on for a couple of hours because they wouldn't stay perky during this time. Yesterday when I saw that they had not rooted well, I decided to take the dome off permanently and see what happens. The picture is 24 hours after.

Temps
Aquarium heater in the Res, connected to a temp Controller, set to 78F and it has a range of 1F, so it stays between 77-79.
The grow room is at 72F (lights on) 68F Lights off. When the dome is on the top area stays warmer so around 74-76 Lights on.

Need to know what do to differently on this next cycle I will be starting in a few days. I have struggled trying to clone for 3 years. I really thought an aero cloner would help me get consistent results, but it looks like my cloning doom cloud has followed me to other systems.
Any suggestions appreciated.

View Image

View Image

On your pictures it looks like one side is ok an the other side ther bad...wats different on one side to the other ?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
On your pictures it looks like one side is ok an the other side ther bad...wats different on one side to the other ?

If your referring to the original run, I made plenty of errors that I have improved on with this second attempt. Could use your input on it.

Maybe the one side was different strains? Each row was 1 strain.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
DAY 6 UPDATE

So I didn't end up checking the PH daily, but I did check it today and ph had crept up to 6.7! Adjusted it to 5.7, and lesson learned, I need to check and adjust daily.

I did remove the dome on Day 3, so is been 3 days without, and they are doing ok, so I guess I don't need a dome at all on future runs.

RH has been in the 40-60 RH Range
Room Air Temps Lights on 72, Lights off 68.
RES Temps Lights on 70-73
RES Temps Lights off 67-70

I bought remo roots cloning gel and applied it on Day 5 finally, but I noticed today that it had washed off. So unlike what I have read, the gel does not stay on in an aero cloner. Next run I will also use hormex liquid rooting concentrate right into the turboklone res.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20200321_105557.jpg
    20200321_105557.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200321_105823.jpg
    20200321_105823.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200321_105958.jpg
    20200321_105958.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200321_110031.jpg
    20200321_110031.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200321_110102.jpg
    20200321_110102.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 20

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Look at the roots this guy on Instagram had for day 6, in the exact same turbo cloner! I am patient and understand that it can take 14 days for some strains, but looking at my stems, there is nothing happening as far knubs or bumps etc. At this rate for day 6, I have that sinking feeling, that this second attempt will not be giving me roots!!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Like that Instagram pic versus mine is night and day difference. I mean I didn't have remo roots gel on day 1, so that makes a difference but that much? Also I do have 7 different strains, so it wouldn't be the case of a difficult to root strain. And Im not even expecting 100% success, that's why I took so many Cuts, for some of these I only need 1 to root, so that I can flip the mom into flower!
I would be jumping with joy even at 30% success, but 0% run after run after run, its getting old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-192818_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-192818_Instagram.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200320_090002.jpg
    20200320_090002.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 27

Esme

"thanks man. nice to see you pop in, the wire is my shit..i get that a lot about rooting...I have tried literally every technique and medium under the sun over the last 13 years...im ocd when it comes to figuring things out , so my technique evolved from lots of trial and error and experimentation..its no whispering, there are just certain crucial elements that need to be dialed in, do that and all youre roots will look like that...I have roots like that in 10 days like clockwork , ready to transplant and rarely loose a clone..last time I rooted 180 and lost one because I closed the dome on it and snapped it...by day 7 they are usually poking out but I wean them off the high rh environment for 3 days prior to transplant

im not one to hoard trade secrets like some ego maniac growers out there..what I know I share, so my tech is like this

- big cuts, over 6 inches long from healthy moms

- tips cut back 30%, 50% on large fans

- soak cuts in phd tap water over night to assure they are well hydrated

- soak 2 inch rockwool plugs in 350ppms worth of base nutes and a ph of 5.7 for 30 minutes

- flush sheets with a fresh solution of the same strength and ph

- shake about 20-30% of water out of plugs, do not squeeze them, but swing them like pitching a baseball

- dip in clonex and put in plug, not using the premade hole, but right off to the side of it (premade holes alow to much oxygen in)

- put 10 cuts per dome, never more, overcrowding is a nono with clones and will lead to rot, long root times and inconsistent temps and rh) I take big cuts, if you take small ones you can fit more, but you don't want them touching leaves

- put them under t5, kept 3 feet away, too much light slows rooting and stresses plants, they want defused lighting as they cant absorb bright light without roots

- keep temps IN the dome between 78-80...I use a temp gun to dial in the temps for the first day or two..the proximity to the light, the strength of light, heat in the room all play a factor in the temp in the dome, so one needs to dial that in until it sits at 80..in cold places get a heat mat with digital thermostat, put the sensor for the thermostat in an empty plug in the dome and set the mat to 76, that usually puts it around 80 in the dome..but again , many variable effect that

- I spray the inside of the dome only, never the plants, and keep the dome beaded until day 6 or 7 when I see roots...at that time I open vents slowly over the course of 3 days and by day 10 and are ready to transplant

- I never water plugs after the initial soak, you want them moist but not wet or dry

that's about it...the moisture level in the plug, presoak overnight, nutes in the soak water and keeping temps around 80 are the 4 crucial elements...dial those 4 in and you will never have issues with cloning again

hope that helps"

Asslover

Veteran
You’re just chasing your own tail at this point. Turbocloner, EZ Cloner, Oxycloner, etc etc, they all work. Just because someone else got roots in 6 days does not mean you will.
Just leave them be. If the stems don’t rot or if they don’t wilt/die then just leave me be.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
FINAL UPDATE

DAY 12

TURBO KLONE

the tops look ok, no wilting, no dying, no rotting/mold,
unfortunately, there is not a single root, and so far no knots or bumps.
I will be patient and wait another week to see if something will happen.

ROCKWOOL CUBES

100% MOLD AND ROTTEN STEMS. I think this is due to rockwool being at full water holding capacity. No one has mentioned this is that detrimental. Everyone focused on rooting hormones, lighting, temps, humidity, cleanliness, cutting size. And when it is mentioned it is said often to squeeze them. No that damages the air pocket structure.

Will be using a salad spinner and a scale to achieve a 50% water capacity retention.

I have also decided to have the dome vents completely open in the next run. 100% humidity I think may not be necessary. 80% range is fine maybe?

This is my last post on this thread, for the next and all future attempts I am starting a new thread, that is appropriately titled and introduced as this issue will be ongoing for me obviously more than one or two runs, since Im on run 3 now, and I don't see success anytime soon with my experiences.

P.S. Ive been growing for 3 years, and have rooted 100s of cuttings, I had most success in the first year, so Ive been on a 2 year rut. so will continue switching things up and going back to how I may have done some things previously. Back then, I didn't even have temps dialed in, or the amount of light, used a rusty razor blade. used 0 hormones, didn't check humidity, had a heat matt on full blast 24/7 with no controller! and guys I had all the cuttings I wanted. Amazing roots 7-10 days!!!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php