What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Combat Mold Issues With HEPA: The Inexpensive DIY Solution

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you are making your own, I bet shining the UV light on the side of the filter that stops the germs would be best. Kill them as they are slowed showing their ID. Like catching WuFlu in the TSA line at an airport.

Biologist

I read more about the Filtrete and it said it takes out 90% of the small stuff so maybe it would be best for me to do it after the filter and kill the 10% that gets through, idk.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I think that's your strategy right there.
I'm contemplating that myself... the seedling compartment where the intake enters through the hepa filter is not used anyways, so I could put a UV light in there right behind the filter.
What's the intensitiy of those bulbs? not too high I hope ?
CC

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hadn't thought of UV inside the box, but that's one excellent idea. :)

My main concerns would be the damaging effects of UV, and how they would effect the materials of the box. Is metal inert and free of stray molecules under extended UV? I'd think about using it or something else which will stay intact as a target. If your materials will break down, I believe the best place would be in front of the filter. No? :)

Buddistrose

Why HEPA?

HEPA filtration is the number one defense against molds and fungal issues with cannabis. Harvest molding while it dries? Trimmed flowers molding in your jars? Packed a bunch of cannabis away, and come back to find it's ruined with mold? In a well ventilated flowering room (3 complete exchanges of air per minute), over the 2-3 month cycle, the trichomes of your plants can pick up an amazing number of mold spores.

When moisture levels and temperatures levels are high enough, those mold spores will cause enough mold to ruin a harvest in only a few days.

HEPA filtration stops fungal spores, stray pollen, bear and beaver dander, feces dust from all kinds of animals, pet hair, human hair, carpet and clothing fibers, bugs and more.Once you've smoked HEPA grown cannabis for a while, everything else starts feeling harsh in comparison.

HEPA filters are so cheap to build, everyone with DIY skills should be using them. I recently built one for the LED cab I'm building, and figured everyone here could benefit from a separate thread.

Here's the completed filter, attached to a fan.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82335&pictureid=2011481&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

The 'Plenum' before installing the filter. This can be as simple as 1x4 and thin plywood, screwed together and sealed with caulking. With larger sized filters, you'll want to cut multiple square holes, leaving cross braces. This filter size '14x20' will filter up to an 8" fan, and a 25x25 filter will work for 10-12" fans.

Drywall channel for corners is used to create a frame for the filter. The frame is secured and sealed to the plenum, and the filter is taped into the frame. When the filter needs to be replaced, simply cut the tape and exchange dirty with new, then re-tape.

The drywall corner channeling cut, bent and sealed to the plenum.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82335&pictureid=2011478&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Closeup of a cut, secured and sealed corner.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82335&pictureid=2011482&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

The HEPA filters I typically use.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82335&pictureid=2009173&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Filter installed to plenum, and is now all taped up and ready to go.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82335&pictureid=2011496&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Hope a great many of you try this and enjoy it. I've been doing it for 15+ years and love the difference. Be good to yourselves.

nice one :headbange

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Having had the HEPA filter in place for a while now I can say this:
- It does not affect airflow much, these filters are super permeable for air
- I had ZERO issues with mold or any other fungus in the meantime. I use blumats so the soil never dries out which lead to some fungi growing under my plants in the past, not any more!
- The filter is best cleaned from the outside with a vacuum as that's where the dust deposits. After all this time I'm now thinking it does not need replacing at all when sucking off the deposits on the outside regularly every 6 months or so (I have premanent airflow of course).

Haven't progressed on the UV, as i feel the HEPA filter pretty much keeps everything outside already!
CC

Three Berries

I a made up a filter box that also has my egg mister in it. Just experimental but all it is is a back an yellow tote cut up and sealed against the wall intake. The filter could use a better mount but then again tape is good enough. Cover needed trimmed to fit on the bottom but I believe it seals up pretty good. Going to let it run and see if i can pick up any dust patterns.

BTW most of that fine dust is dander.

Mister running in box.jpg
Filter box.jpg

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Forced filtered air is the way to go with a tent. Cardboard box, 6" fan inside with the duct hose attached and running from inside the box to inside the tent. HEPA element taped to the box opening. I monitor the lung room temp/humidity at the filter, so I know what is going in the tent. Inside the tent I dump the hose air into a 5 gallon bucket through the lid, and have holes around the side to distribute the air.

DSC02000.JPG

The basket is getting dry warm air from the dehuey, and the lung room air, sucked past the filter. I'm drying a sample of NL Haze grown with this set-up.

DSC02001.JPG
The air duct dumps into a 5 gallon bucket. I cut the top off another bucket and drilled holes around the top, and stacked them. The air comes out the side holes, plus the hole on top with the ribbon flapping.

Forced filtered air and bottom watering don't get any simpler than this.

Next I am going to tape closed all the openings in the tent, including the screened air vents which are closed with forced air. I think that is where SMs have come in from behind the tent, where it is up against the wall.

Last edited:

Smokerman

Veteran
As I posted before Sanuvox is a solid product. Even kills Covid but they can’t advertise that. Anybody in Canada needs one let me know. I can arrange pickup at a supplier for cost, which is usually 50% off list.

acespicoli

He strikes again with a awesome thread ;) From STS to this, had considered building a custom laminar flow air hood.
Thinking weather stripping as in for exterior doors, the "rubber trim" the filter frame seats against would be a nice touch.
Corners and cracks hit with silicone and maybe the box formed from exterior grade AZEK uv treatments (PVC poly vinyl chloride, plywood and trim boards made from plastic- no mold-) from the hardware store.
Easy wipe down with bleach solution

Also is the need for no seeum mesh (keep out smallest gnats)
of course nematodes and lady bugs permitted entry

and some DIY carbon filters with reload-able pre-rinsed virgin coconut charcoal cartridges
since im wishing/dreaming :unsure: and enjoying a little morning :coffee:
https://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Category:Cleanroom_technology
Me entering my bio area, a tent inside of a tent provides a DECON area;)
1662990514836.png
1662990368713.png

Always a pleasure reading your works Douglas.Curtis

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
lol, Thanks, I love the hazmat images! :)

You'll find the aluminum tape seals to the filter very well, so I ditched the fancy foam seat for the filters in my later builds.

While I still care about particulates on my cannabis, I do not care about pests as much as before. Not since I started using rabbit manure tea and foliars. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts