What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's Official: If You've Been Wondering, I Finally Have a Diagnosis at Nearly Age 50

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I was diagnosed at 41. It really made a lot of things suddenly make sense for me. My ex-wife ended up leaving me and fucking me over, but there's no point in dwelling on that. I tell you, it really makes a big difference knowing that's what's up. It allows me to see the world through a filter now, which was always there, but I thought it was the real world. It's like, once you know that filter is there, you can start interpreting reality differently. It's really hard to explain, but I think you know what I'm saying or will soon know what I'm saying.

FWIW, not a single variety of cannabis has provided all of the medical benefits of Adderall, without the dysphoria, as Panama (green pheno) did. I'm going to grow more of that out soon since I don't take my adderall anymore. So I recommend looking into those genetics if you haven't already.

Also, I don't know if you use Facebook at all, but there's a group called ADHD and Chill that has honestly become one of the best support groups out there. It really puts a lot of things into perspective, and it gives you thousands of other people to discuss stuff with who know *exactly* the kinds of tribulations we go through.

Full disclosure: I'm one of those people who thinks of ADHD as a super power. :cool:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Did you know that a high percentage of NASA engineers have dyslexia? ADHD / ADD is a fad diagnosis often made on extremely subjective criteria. 'Normal' teachers have trouble teaching kids with ADD but a teacher with ADD can teach kids with it at an extremely high level. How is that? My son was diagnosed in high school. He was having trouble as a freshman at a shitty high school. We pushed the diagnosis and switched schools. He did fine. In college he forgot about the ADHD thing and graduated cum laude.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 5th grade and put on Ritalin.
Deaxdrine by 7th grade
Adderall in 11th grade.

Most people in my shoes who were medicated early on say they feel they missed out on a great chunk of their life/youth, especially in the social realm.
I fully agree.

So diagnosis can be a double edged sword. Diagnosed too early or too late and it can lead to deficiencies and resentment in life.

Being diagnosed ADHD/Add does not exclude from an autism spectrum diagnosis - they often are co morbid factors

Way to go in taking care of yourself and turning upur life around.

It inspires me to do the same.
Thank you
Im gonna get in touch with VoC rehab

I think I already found most of my answers. It as changed my disillusioned and ignorant view a bit. :good:
While I am just reading some of the things on IC here and there, I often came across posts from D.C I could relate alot to. Most always very insightful for me. Thanks

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Diagnosed as a kid and later as an adult with several learning disabilities and mental illnesses. Dysgraphia, dyslexia, adhd, BPD, BP are the primary reoccurring diagnosis.

Modern medicines and methodologies have done far less than marijuana and meditation/chanting. The later two help thicken the frontal cortex, the thinness of which put people like us on the spectrum.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
My theory is that as we pollute the planet out physiology becomes more sensitive and aware of these changes which is reflected in our perceptions and reactions.

Our environmental sensitivities (many many allergies) are reactions to imbalance allowing us to understand and effect the problem in a meaningful manner.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Truly appreciate you sharing, all of you. It's been a crazy house around here, with lots to do.

My theory is that as we pollute the planet out physiology becomes more sensitive and aware of these changes which is reflected in our perceptions and reactions.

Our environmental sensitivities (many many allergies) are reactions to imbalance allowing us to understand and effect the problem in a meaningful manner.
This makes a lot of sense, especially as I become more aware of what 'interrupts' me and what doesn't. Adding sensitivities/issues to an unknown number of additional sources does not help.

I was diagnosed at 41. It really made a lot of things suddenly make sense for me. My ex-wife ended up leaving me and fucking me over, but there's no point in dwelling on that. I tell you, it really makes a big difference knowing that's what's up. It allows me to see the world through a filter now, which was always there, but I thought it was the real world. It's like, once you know that filter is there, you can start interpreting reality differently. It's really hard to explain, but I think you know what I'm saying or will soon know what I'm saying.
Sad and glad to hear. You're expanding your awareness, good job. :) Quality feedback from close friends/family helps strengthen this. It's up to you to keep working on expanding it.

FWIW, not a single variety of cannabis has provided all of the medical benefits of Adderall, without the dysphoria, as Panama (green pheno) did. I'm going to grow more of that out soon since I don't take my adderall anymore. So I recommend looking into those genetics if you haven't already.

Also, I don't know if you use Facebook at all, but there's a group called ADHD and Chill that has honestly become one of the best support groups out there. It really puts a lot of things into perspective, and it gives you thousands of other people to discuss stuff with who know *exactly* the kinds of tribulations we go through.

Full disclosure: I'm one of those people who thinks of ADHD as a super power.
cool.gif
Awesome, definitely interested in a cannabis solution. Thanks for sharing this bit, and I'll definitely look into the group. Rock on!

Ritalin gave me pre-seizure symptoms, and none of the other meds have been consistently effective or physically compatible at the higher doses. I've been looking for cannabis replacement from the beginning of my awareness. Awesome.

I'm stunned by how much of a difference $00.00000000001 USD worth of ink, on a piece of paper (carefully aligned in the proper spell/incantation), opens so many doors. Excretions still rule, even when it comes from a pen. lol

Thanks again everyone, and be good to yourselves.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
This makes a lot of sense, especially as I become more aware of what 'interrupts' me and what doesn't. Adding sensitivities/issues to an unknown number of additional sources does not help.

It is very overwhelming before you have an idea that it is happening.

Now that you are becoming more attuned to how your physiology and environmental interactions effects your being you can continue to tune in to a state of mind/being that benefits you most.

Certain strains really made huge differences where in others did not offer the same benefit. Buddhism has helped and there is evidence that chanting/meditation thickens the frontal cortex and has benefits that directly effect the brain structures these disorders are rooted in.

There has been a definitive transformation in my mind although it does require effort, knowing that there is a real benefit to the practices I have engaged (weed, therapy, buddhism, diet, etc)

If I can give a small bit of advise. When one's life is such that there are an overwhelming amount of negative inputs that could be making us uncomfortable (be it food, people, air, etc) that we can't control it is best to switch focus to harm reduction through a pronounced effort to simply add good inputs and keep focused on them.

Im'One

It is very overwhelming before you have an idea that it is happening.

Now that you are becoming more attuned to how your physiology and environmental interactions effects your being you can continue to tune in to a state of mind/being that benefits you most.

Certain strains really made huge differences where in others did not offer the same benefit. Buddhism has helped and there is evidence that chanting/meditation thickens the frontal cortex and has benefits that directly effect the brain structures these disorders are rooted in.

There has been a definitive transformation in my mind although it does require effort, knowing that there is a real benefit to the practices I have engaged (weed, therapy, buddhism, diet, etc)

If I can give a small bit of advise. When one's life is such that there are an overwhelming amount of negative inputs that could be making us uncomfortable (be it food, people, air, etc) that we can't control it is best to switch focus to harm reduction through a pronounced effort to simply add good inputs and keep focused on them.

Good advice for anyone regardless of neurotypical or not.

Latest posts

Latest posts