What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keeping unrooted clones in cold storage

Rico Swazi

Makes much more sense now that I am not so high
would love to see if it could be done that way with autos

Thank you Douwe:tiphat:

Grapefruitroop

Hi y all!:tiphat:

Very interesting info on here...

I just got few cuttings that I'm planning to root in a couple weeks, I have them now in water sitting in a small room at 15 ° C more or less....
Do you guys think they will be ok temperature wise?

:joint::elf:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure Grapefruitroop as this thread is about Cold Storage.. ie fridge temp and so on.. And im guessing with that temperature it aint cold storage:) Maybes someone else can chime in or post to help you out
Anyhow here is the last of these StarDawgs getting fridged up before there sleep begins..:biggrin:
picture.php
picture.php

Well today the first set of cuttings will be going into the cloner dated from November so just under 3 months give or take a week or two and to be honest they don't look the best flopping all over but time will tell the later dated ones are still sleeping still in fridge anyhow that's it for now stay safe guys .
picture.php

Last edited:

Douwe Egbert

Hi Darksider,

Thanks been looking forward to your update - from the pic things don't look so bad. I've had cuts "re-hydrate" better once they've had a decent drink, so fingers crossed.

I've been doing a less scientific "suck it and see" trial with a few clones that is ongoing and really only looking to gain a few weeks grace. Main difference is I've stuck mine in about a few cm. of tap water in a beaker with a baggie covering. I have a few hypothetical cautions I'll hopefully be able to contribute later. Slight drawback is my hit rate for cuts is dire, even if they climb straight off mama into the cloner nursery.

Quick query - is that media in you cloner or a bubbler? I'm working through the options and am looking at trying a bubbler - any thoughts on your comparative experiences of methods?

Cheers Douwe

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Darksider,

Thanks been looking forward to your update - from the pic things don't look so bad. I've had cuts "re-hydrate" better once they've had a decent drink, so fingers crossed.

I've been doing a less scientific "suck it and see" trial with a few clones that is ongoing and really only looking to gain a few weeks grace. Main difference is I've stuck mine in about a few cm. of tap water in a beaker with a baggie covering. I have a few hypothetical cautions I'll hopefully be able to contribute later. Slight drawback is my hit rate for cuts is dire, even if they climb straight off mama into the cloner nursery.

Quick query - is that media in you cloner or a bubbler? I'm working through the options and am looking at trying a bubbler - any thoughts on your comparative experiences of methods?

Cheers Douwe

Hi Douwe Egbert the cloners I use are all X-Stream - Aeroponic Misting Propagators have 3 of them the 12 converted to 18. the 40 and the 120 but don't use all them now, have one lent out friend uses the biggest one
No media just neoprene collars in this one but on some occasions I drop seeds into riot cubes and start them of in the netpots with timers running so they don't get soaked when im lazy that is :biggrin: No thoughts on comparisons to be honest just whatever works and is easy here is a photo of the inside of one, picture taken from the internet gives you some idea of whats in the 40 site and the 120 site but the 120 site has two of these in but small 12 site has different sprayer inside but you get the idea hope it helps stay safe :tiphat:
picture.php

Last edited:

webeblzr

Many years ago I used brown paper bag material to fold my cuttings into, then into a baggie, then a puff of breath and seal it.
Into the crisper they went.
At 1 week, they did great.
After that, it seemed to me, the more indica influence, the longer I could hold them.
I had one bag go 65 days in holding then rooted. However those 10 cuttings only 3 rooted, and were propped up with toothpick's, one in a rapid rooter, and 2 rock wool.
It also seemed like more sativa on the mix, the less time I could hold them with + results.
At 25-35 days seemed like the sweet spot, when I played around with holding cuttings, for the best rooting averages later on.
If your crisper is to cold, make a insulated sack to go over the baggie, as that seemed to help, when I had to swap out my basement refrigerator when one died.

If I can locate my old snaps, I'll post them up. That thread may have been on the old OG site, or maybe Karma Genitics, not sure anymore was long ago now.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the vibes guys always appreciated and robotwithdreams Yes I completely seal the bag snapshut.. Today I will take a few bigger leaves from them or cut them back as i have the vents open on the lid of the cloner but its still steamed up to much for my liking don't want mould starting should of taken them off on the 27.01.20 but forgot,done it in the past so no worries back for update next week take care guys .

Well a little earlier than expected just checked on the cuts and this is what im seeing as of ten minutes ago that's the good news the bad news, is I have lost 5 down to mould but that's no big deal. my fault being lazy it happens. but at least I now have my topdawg stardawgs gathering roots so all in all for the first sign of roots was 7 days and that's after 10 weeks in the fridge so im happy to say the least and if the original poster from another site is reading this a big thanks to you for your knowledge much appreciated 6 weeks was the longest I done before so this is a added bonus for me once again thanks..
picture.php
picture.php

Seven days on and stripped leaves out of 27 cuttings that went in lost seven altogether, 5 to mould and two just weaklings I guess.. But have 20 with roots so with a bit veg time these should be up and into the bigger systems within the next few weeks with the new lights hopefully all goes to plan either way this was fun seeing how long I could take these from cuttings to fridge to rooting all under a 120 watts of quantum board at about 2 and a half foot above them with dimmer turned right down to the max well that's it for now stay safe and give this method a go well worth it ..

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

methias

Aeroponics, the simple way to clone.

Aeroponics, the simple way to clone.

Hi Douwe Egbert the cloners I use are all X-Stream - Aeroponic Misting Propagators have 3 of them the 12 converted to 18. the 40 and the 120 but don't use all them now, have one lent out friend uses the biggest one
No media just neoprene collars in this one but on some occasions I drop seeds into riot cubes and start them of in the netpots with timers running so they don't get soaked when im lazy that is :biggrin: No thoughts on comparisons to be honest just whatever works and is easy here is a photo of the inside of one, picture taken from the internet gives you some idea of whats in the 40 site and the 120 site but the 120 site has two of these in but small 12 site has different sprayer inside but you get the idea hope it helps stay safe
View Image

I made one much like this but I used a 2 gallon bucket and 7 sites. Only I never ever put a humidity dome over it. Just subdued lighting and a timer to make it spray for 1 minute every 10 minutes.
Some (like Alien OG) root in 7-10 days and some like Sour Kosher take as long as 25-30 days to get roots..

I use whatever rusty razor blade I find on my workbench, cut a sprig, dip in clonex solution, then dip the stem in rooting powder, then place in the puck and basket.
I PH the water to 6.0 and no nutrients.
Once rooting I cut open a starter plug and slip her in.

Early on I had issues going from the bucket to soil.
Now with these starter plugs 98% of the rooted clones make the transition and thrive.

A viable Alien OG clone.

I went from 5% to a 95% success rate cloning like this,
You can too.

Vape on kids

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks good methias :tiphat: But the thread is about..
Keeping unrooted clones in cold storage.. but thanks for reminding me here they are as of today from cut to root to systems all about to go to flower soon :tiphat:

picture.php

Last edited:

teide

Veteran
Great thread and great news.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge and experience!

Last edited:
Totally works, learned about this a decade ago and has saved my ass. I don’t keep moms anymore so I always have “extra” cuts sitting in the fridge in case there is a rooting issue. After trying every imaginable way to clone, these days I just throw them in a glass with plain water and have about 99% strike rate. No snake oil needed 🤣🤣🤣

Cuddles

Totally works, learned about this a decade ago and has saved my ass. I don’t keep moms anymore so I always have “extra” cuts sitting in the fridge in case there is a rooting issue. After trying every imaginable way to clone, these days I just throw them in a glass with plain water and have about 99% strike rate. No snake oil needed 🤣🤣🤣
do you think that the low temperatures inside the fridge help the rooting process, once they´re out of the cold again?