What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Coliseum On The Cheap

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Great idea. I'll be using it when I go vert for sure. In fact it solves the main problem I was having in planning it. :respect:

Slapstick

Poorboy, this is great! I have been thinking about going the vertical route since i first saw some pictures on overgrow, a long time ago. My main concern has always been the cost, i dont like the idea of spending money one something before i know if it works for me personally. U just solved that for me! Please keep posting, i would love to see how this turns out!

Slapstick

Me2

Layflat poly tube works pretty good for directing the runoff from flown pots to a collection bucket. Its dirt cheap and comes in different widths so you can match it to the pots. Fix it with tape or rubber bands.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I think this idea is awesome, I could see it working for Hempy buckets, soil, coco, many different mediums. It's a great base to start out with, I think that many improvements can be made to his design, but a great idea nonetheless! :respect:

Wfw1

The screen is the best part. If it were made accessable, you could make an inner screen maybe using cooltubes and do a vert scrog. That would be sick.

PoorBoy

I ended up wrapping a wire around each bucket and twisting it tight. This thing is earthquake proof now. Rock solid.

4 days into veg and growing fast. I'll probably flip these to 12/12 in another 4-5 days

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Nice addition on the wires! Everythings looking good! This is gonna be interesting to watch for sure! :lurk:

antimatter

Veteran
id probably mark the floor so you know exactly where to put your buckets each time lol, and use lcs mix with bone/blood/kelp/dol instead of straight compost

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I love DYI grows, especially when it is with stuff you already have laying around. :yes:
Looks great so far, can't wait to see what you yield.

Dr happy

hay man
very interesting setup
very very !

from the pic u sent today i can see that u let them grow inside the screen
what is the distance from the bulb ?

looks "very very" interesting

blackone

Veteran
Oh yeah - very innovative indeed! Why didn't someone think about that before - perhaps someone did but I haven't seen that one before :)
One thing I would consider if I were to build something like this would indeed be a solution to collect runoff.

JWP

I like it too

You could cut little grooves in the bottoms and tops of the buckets where they rest on each other so that they interlock :wave:

Gravity isnt your enemy here. Use it to your advantage

Wfw1

Good advice ^^ Hey where did you originally get that heavy screen? Thats the part of this whole thing that separates us who like the idea from you who has the ability haha!

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Good advice ^^ Hey where did you originally get that heavy screen? Thats the part of this whole thing that separates us who like the idea from you who has the ability haha!

looks like concrete reinforcement, welded wire mat...

*mistress*

Veteran
prefer non-staggered 1k's, bare bulb... laterally positioned. big bushes & trees...

but, if were to run staggered, or stacked lighting, w/ multi-plants, would probably just use 4-8-xx tall, 26-33 gal trash cans... or the very rigid blue recycling containers... the narrow, tall rectangular paper recyling containers... these are readily available @ home improvement stores, in cleaning supply section.

drill xx holes on side of container... in [::] to [::] to [::] vertical config...
_____________________________________[::]___[::]
___________________________________________[::]

[::] being 4 plants...

downsizes 60 containers to 4-6...

type of trash cans found underneath the narrow counter-tops of bars... narrow+wide & ~30 gal. enough room for 6-12 plants, depending...

maybe all draining into kiddie pool...

the narrow profile permits maintenance/human manueverability... always fun in a vert garden...

excellent design & umph to put it together...:respect:

enjoy your garden!